2nd Lens to 50mm Apo

agencal

I don't think the latest version of the Summicron-M 28 mm Asph is that much different.

It is different. Not totally different ... but different enough to make the update worthwhile when 28 mm is an important focal length to you.

It is based on the same optical formula as the older version.

That's right.

The improvements come from more rounded aperture blades and probably upgraded coatings, as well as higher precision in manufacturing to accomodate the requirements of high-resolution digital sensors.

That's wrong.

Regarding the 28 Elmarit, see Scott's test starting at post #32 in this thread: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/leica/57393-new-leica-lenses-announced.html. The edge sharpness is (greatly) improved in the new version, both on the M(240) and the SL. Also the new 28 Cron is improved in this respect. There could be some variations between copies, obviously, but these findings are consistent with what I see/have seen as well. The degree to which corner sharpness is an issue depends on the eyes that see and the type of shooting, but I clearly prefer the latest version(s) for landscapes and city-scapes.

It is different. Not totally different ... but different enough to make the update worthwhile when 28 mm is an important focal length to you.

That's right.

That's wrong.

That's right. That's wrong. Not much info in those statements. Please elaborate.

Edited by indergaard

The 24mm would be my choice.  Will this be for landscape or other?  The EVF is the achilles heel of the M10 and M240.  Three possible solutions to eliminate it are: 1-  use the camera viewfinder and realize you will have more in your image than you will see, 2- use live view on the camera monitor and 3- use an optical viewfinder, these are smaller than the EVF and more Leica-like than the bulbous plastic EVF that could snap off in harsh situations encountered with landscapes.   

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sometimes I find myself wondering about this too.  Though in my case, thankfully i already have an option in my Q.  And its totally the mindset that I wanted to keep as I acquired the M after the Q.  Though, I would vouch for the 21 as a second lens to the 50.  In terms of clarity and just sheer IQ brilliance that the 50APO delivers, I would like Leica to take my money already for a 35APO. ;D.  The two lenses I will take to my grave. :)

Edited by low325

Sometimes I find myself wondering about this too. Though in my case, thankfully i already have an option in my Q. And its totally the mindset that I wanted to keep as I acquired the M after the Q. Though, I would vouch for the 21 as a second lens to the 50. In terms of clarity and just sheer IQ brilliance that the 50APO delivers, I would like Leica to take my money already for a 35APO. ;D. The two lenses I will take to my grave. :)

APO designation for a 35 might make you feel good, but it wouldn’t mean much technically, as Andy (adan) explains...

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/281798-does-anyone-expect-a-35mm-summicron-apo-in-the-future/page-1?do=findComment&comment=3461163

Jeff

• Like 1

I just picked up the 28 LUX and didn't realize how big it is compared to my 28 Cron V2. I'm sure the IQ is beautiful as has been reported by everyone but the size is a legitimate reason to go for the cron v1 or v2.

• Like 2

APO designation for a 35 might make you feel good, but it wouldn’t mean much technically, as Andy (adan) explains...https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/281798-does-anyone-expect-a-35mm-summicron-apo-in-the-future/page-1?do=findComment&comment=3461163

Jeff

I guess the SL owners will be feeling good then. Karbe teased at the new park openings about a possible 35 APO SL.

Interestingly, but not surprisingly there was no one to speak up whether the owner would suffer from distortion or not. In my viewpoint, in using a wide, the distortion issue must be crucial. Another consideration, or reservation would be the degree of fall-off. In sprite of some shortcomings, 28'cron has a great character to be reflected on the sensor, or the film.

Leica M (typ 240)

28'cron at f/2.0

ISO-2000

Izmir, Turkey

L1000579.jpg

• Like 1