ergonomics

pico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We have very many comments here regarding how lenses handle, in other words their ergonomics. For example, those that like or do not like a focusing tab (with, without infinity lock). Each individual's opinion is correct and respected considering our various habits, preferences, build of hand, fingers...

My preferences are likely irrelevant, so moving forward I would like to know of Leica lens users who find the handling of their particular lenses focus and aperture control could be improved through add-ons or modification.

Some existing add-ons are, for example, Leicagoodies 'steer', SK Grimes' focusing levers, the TAB and home-grown things such as tie-wraps and adopting other brand assists to Leica lenses.

I am intrigued. My penchant for invention is aroused, so I wonder if there might modest modifications to make any Leica lens easier to handle, to focus, change aperture.

For the moment one idea is to put small metal spheres on short rods 'implanted' with graduated length into focusing areas spaced strategically according to focus habits.

The above is only a provocative query. The question is really whether a significant number of Leica users could use any focusing or ƒ-stop assists.

?? so ??

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

That's an interesting question.

My own take is that we are intelligent, adaptive creatures. I have cameras and lenses from different manufacturers and my mechanical memory seems to be able to adapt very quickly to the differences in eg focusing direction, tabs or lack of, aperture ring placement, direction of shutter speed dial etc. Perhaps a little too much is made of these designed "aids"? Personally I quite like that some things are a little quirky in use compared to others that seem just so perfect to our hands. Of course only familiarity with the camera/lens/object trains you to intuitively use it, but isn't that the point of using the object (in this case, cameras/lenses) if we are interested enough to do it as a regular thing?

• Like 4

I don't know. My Leica/Leitz lenses have tabs, don't have tabs, have/don't have infinity locks, etc. A whole mixed bag of different focusing types. They all seem okay to me as is. Good luck with your project. 

For me, the ONLY way to drive a 50/1.0 Noctilux is with a steer.

All my other lenses I drive as is.Those with tabs help me know where my focus is sitting, those without tabs seem to focus faster!

Bodywise, my film cams have the best 'extra' in the form of the the wind lever. Great for carrying the cam on the thumb and two fingers.

My M8's and M9 have a thumbie.

The built in thumb rest on the M10 works OK.

My tiny brain just adjusts to what is in my hand.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As far as focus aids are concerned i used to like much focus knobs (40/2, 50/2.8, etc.) and "tiger claws" i.e. convex focus tabs (early 35/2 v4, 50/2 v4, etc.) in the past because i focused with the middle finger then but now i prefer using the index finger for that, don't ask me why, so the current concave focus tabs are my favorite by far. Now i dislike them in case of long focus throw (21/3.4 pre-asph). FWIW.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

Tabs are fine on short throw lenses. But when the lens has a longer throw tabs become a nightmare of ergonomics because the finger position has to completely change at some point in the focus range, unlike a plain barrel where you just rotate and let go, rotate and let go etc..

Also tabs and other focusing devices alter the feel of the lens and the focusing speed. Add something that increases the effective diameter of the focus barrel and you increase the focus throw of the lens. A longer throw made by increasing the diameter of the barrel may be good with a tele lens where it could aid accurate focus, less of the situation where you edge back and forth trying to make tiny adjustments to the focus over fractions of a millimeter of travel. It's the same situation with fast lenses used wide open, a larger diameter barrel makes them easier to focus. But on a wide lens, one with a light action, or one used for quick action pictures would you want a longer focus throw?

The answer really is not in the tab or other focus device itself, fix one on every lens for consistency, but then work on a method to make fingers longer or shorter during focusing.

Edited by 250swb

Tabs are fine on short throw lenses. But when the lens has a longer throw tabs become a nightmare of ergonomics because the finger position has to completely change at some point in the focus range, unlike a plain barrel where you just rotate and let go, rotate and let go etc..

Also tabs and other focusing devices alter the feel of the lens and the focusing speed. Add something that increases the effective diameter of the focus barrel and you increase the focus throw of the lens. A longer throw made by increasing the diameter of the barrel may be good with a tele lens where it could aid accurate focus, less of the situation where you edge back and forth trying to make tiny adjustments to the focus over fractions of a millimeter of travel. It's the same situation with fast lenses used wide open, a larger diameter barrel makes them easier to focus. But on a wide lens, one with a light action, or one used for quick action pictures would you want a longer focus throw?

The answer really is not in the tab or other focus device itself, fix one on every lens for consistency, but then work on a method to make fingers longer or shorter during focusing.

Something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwizqOcpsTQ

• Like 1

For fun and Nikon users, invent a device that makes it focus backwards.  After using Nikon for years, the transition to Leica was a bit slow and painful since focus goes in the opposite direction.

You need some kind of reverse gearing. Maybe one of those steer things combined with another toothed gear that engages the steer. If you make the second gear in different sizes you could obviously vary the gearing and the effective focus throw, addressing Steve's point at the same time. :D

Edited by wattsy

A few months ago I had hand 'problems'.

Here are a couple of pics of my solution, using a 'spider' tripod. ie. a mini tripod.

Just jam it into the plaster/bandage and it works well.

Of course you will have to use a mirror to make it your right hand! :p

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Focusing tabs, I dislike any of them that cannot move across a flat tripod head. No doubt as a function of using early Leicas (my first being a IIIC) I am most comfortable with the old infinity lock tab but realize the impracticality of it on wider lenses (given my first stated "dislike"). The infinity lock gave one a known starting point for focus and an exact point to "throw" the focusing finger to. While I seldom use old infinity lock tab lenses, when doing so the operation is almost automatic - guess it is deeply embedded in my memory. Regards, ron

25883929758_2ed707bee0_c.jpg

I added this "tab" on couple of my FSU lenses with 180 degree focus throw. It changed them from unusable to OK for street photography. I optimised "tab" position to be able to switch without looking at 10m to infinity and 2 meters to 10 meters with 50mm lens and 35mm at f8 could stay at one position due to the DOF. But I can't quickly focus them at one meter. Old long focus throw lenses have significant focus ring travel from 2 to 1 meters.