Hello - I'm new

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone - I'm new here and would like to introduce myself.

After a long absence from photography and recently only snapping with my (very good) camera phone, today i bought a brand new Leica T (silver) with 18-56 zoom lens. I've asked the company to update the firmware before shipping and want to ask you if there is any need in addition to whatever comes in the box. E.g. a decent strap, a cover for the body etc. I cannot find any filters to sit on the lens i.e. ND, UV etc.

I do not intend to look for a VF atm and would rather put funds toward a 23mm Summicron.

What are your thoughts please?

Welcome aboard.

If you are going to shoot outdoors or manually, a viewfinder will be a very nice addition.

With the T, I found that the RAW images were much nicer than the jpegs. (Not as much so with the CL). So, you may want to tweak your settings accordingly.

Many users do not like the T's rubber strap. There is a modification lug connector which can be purchased to enable one to use a more conventional strap.

Stay away from the T snap cases!  They are impossible to put on and take off. A major screw up for the T by Leica!

Other cases to consider: Lim's, Leica's own, Arte di Mano (the best craftsmanship but expensive). Check ebay or past threads.

The T is a beautiful camera, well-built, and the 18-56 is a terrific lens. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

Thank you Rob, for the welcome and suggestions. I am in the UK so I'll need to check what is available over here. I'm willing to try without the EVF and see how I get along with the screen. The lug connector may be advisable.

If anyone is flogging off any of these items - I am certainly interested.

Sofe

Hi Sofe,

What a great choice!

If you don't mind not having an EVF, then just having the 18-56mm zoom and T naked is just fine.  I dropped mine (twice), so I got a strap - not the silicone one which Leica sells (oddly impractical), but a climber's rope one in yellow.  Works well.  In time, you might also want a second battery ...

John

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I have an old Canon FL 50mm macro with extender and was wondering if there is an adapter to fit it to the T.

I understand there would be no AF function but it could mean close up shots.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I have an old Canon FL 50mm macro with extender and was wondering if there is an adapter to fit it to the T.

I understand there would be no AF function but it could mean close up shots.

Any ideas?

There are many Canon FL/FD to Leica T adapters, and their prices vary depending on the quality of adapters.  I have used Fotasy adapters, and their quality is acceptable.  If you would like high-quality adapters, you can buy Novoflex adapters.

Sofe:  Try eBay for sourcing the lugs.  They are called "Match T/TL" lugs, but there should be some Chinese knock offs that might do the trick.

Rob

The Leica ones are about £30. Just the two in a box and no key for withdrawal of fitted strap (that came with camera).

Hello and thank you for the suggestions and support folks. The camera has arrived, is updated and been played with a wee bit. I was searching around for a jacket and strap etc, though upon reflection, naked is not bad. Will stick with the silly strap for now as it means more changes. If it is extremely annoying, I'll go for the A&A jacket and a decent strap.