Leica SL + Profoto D1

rriley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1.  How can I use a pair of Profoto D1s with my SL and retain the use of Program or Aperture Mode? (I have a Profoto Airsync and it doesn't seem to want to trigger the D1 at all.)

2.  What is the best way to remotely trigger a SL?

Thanks and best regards!

I use my SL with Profoto strobes (multiple D1 and B1/X) via the Profoto air remote transreceiver and have no issues triggering them.  This is the remote I use with the SL:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/584894-REG/Profoto_901031_Air_Remote_Transceiver_for.html

I do wish Leica would collaborate with Profoto so that there is HSS functionality, which currently there isn't unfortunately, with Profoto strobes.  

Edited by hhn360
  • Like 1

1.  ...retain the use of Program or Aperture Mode? 

You can use the strobes in Manual Mode only. 

The Profoto Airsync should trigger the flashes (not the Canon/Nikon/Sony TTL versions).

1. How can I use a pair of Profoto D1s with my SL and retain the use of Program or Aperture Mode? (I have a Profoto Airsync and it doesn't seem to want to trigger the D1 at all.)

2. What is the best way to remotely trigger a SL?

Thanks and best regards!

Regarding 2, see https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/283582-remote-triggering-of-the-sl/?do=findComment&comment=3498777

I know many swear by the reliability of Pocket Wizard Wireless Trigger. I’m not a pro photographer, so my usage of lights isn’t that high. Yet I found that as Pocket Trigger receivers require the PC cable to be connected between receiver to flash unit, there were several occasions the connection went loose after several shoots. Due to my experience, I prefer less connections & devices to be more reliable. It is such that drove me to buy the Phottix wireless trigger as the manual Phottix flashes have built in receivers so there is no need for a wireless receiver unit required.

It is also prescisely why I would prefer Leica’s SFC1 + SF60 flashes as wireless trigger & OCF.