35mm advice

Giripai83

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello All,

I know this question has been asked before. I have been reading with much interest all the topics on this particular lens. 

I am however still frustrated because I cannot make up my mind. 

I currently own the 28mm Elmarit ASPH and the 50mm Summilux. I shoot on the M10.

I love the focal length of 28 and 50. before entering the Leica system I used to have Fuji Xt2 and X100f and loved using the 35mm focal length. 

Now my cinfusion is that I use the 28mm as a daily driver and consider the 50mm more of a special occasion lens that I use when i know I will be taking portraits or when I know light will be low. 

However, This lens is much heavier and harder to focus than the 28mm elmarit. (I am new to the rangefinder system)

There are times i need the extra stop and f2.8 will just not cut it. So I have been debating about which daily driver lens I should invest in now. something that will complement the lenses that i already own. 

After doing some serious image searching, I find that the 35mm would be a good buy. Now there are so many options. 

- 35mm Summicron ASPH

- 35mm Summilux FLE

- 35mm Summicron Version 4

The reason for the MkIV is that Ive seen that its TINY! very similar to the elmarit 28mm and I think this would really be comfortable to use. and the images it makes is quite lovely. 

Since the 28mm and 50mm are ASPH, should i go in for the version 4 35mm to get a different look and still have the size advantage, or is it better to use the ASPH or FLE on the lates M10 body. 

Currently on Ebay the 35mm MkIV sells at around $2500. Is . this price worth it or should i consider the newer lens?

35mm ASPH is a fine lens but quite heavy and its rendition is almost same as the elmarit 

35mm FLE is even more heavy and 2 times the price of the cron ASPH

The only place to buy the mark IV 35mm is Ebay since i live in a country where no used dealers exist. the 35mm ASPH and FLE I will be able to buy new from authorised dealer. 

Something I am also considering is whether to upgrade the 28mm elmarit to the cron. I would get one more Fstop but would gain a lot more weight. 

some one the pics I have taken with both the lens can be found in the below link. 

Elmarit

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146073881@N02/28534061788/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146073881@N02/28534084248/in/dateposted-public/

Lux

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146073881@N02/41684506584/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146073881@N02/28534064538/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146073881@N02/28534066758/in/dateposted-public/

Thanks for all help in advance ! :)

Giri

Although I generally prefer older lenses, at $2500 for the MkIV I'd go for the Summicron Asph.

However, although I have 1.4 and 2.0 35 lenses, on my M10 I only use the 35 2.5 Summarit for 35 use. I love the images, and the size and handling, and with the M10s high ISO I don't need anything faster.

• Like 1

The 35 Summarit f2.4 is also a small and superb lens optically. Less flare and focus shift than the Summicron ASPH, which I have used successfully for many years alongside the 50 Summilux ASPH. All fine lenses. In the US, one can rent, and any reputable dealer will allow a demo.

BTW, are your eyes fully corrected for distance and astigmatism? The 50 should be a delight to focus on the M10 if your vision is normal and gear is calibrated. My aging eyes benefit from a +.5 diopter in addition to my glasses. Note that the focus patch is set at a virtual distance of 2m, and a -.5 diopter is built in.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

The 35 Summarit f2.4 is also a small and superb lens optically. Less flare and focus shift than the Summicron ASPH, which I have used successfully for many years alongside the 50 Summilux ASPH. All fine lenses. In the US, one can rent, and any reputable dealer will allow a demo.

BTW, are your eyes fully corrected for distance and astigmatism? The 50 should be a delight to focus on the M10 if your vision is normal and gear is calibrated. My aging eyes benefit from a +.5 diopter in addition to my glasses. Note that the focus patch is set at a virtual distance of 2m, and a -.5 diopter is built in.

Jeff

HI Jeff,

Yes my eyes are correct so far. what i meant was the while using the 28mm elmarit, I can zone focus so much easier than while using the 50mm summilux. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Be honest with yourself, now. Do you really believe that an extra stop will make a difference? You could increase your ISO to easily accommodate the exposure differential. I personally think that 28 and 35 are too close to have both, but others may disagree with me on this point. I went for over 20 years with 35 being my main lens, and only began experimenting much later with the 28. All the pictures you showed were portrait shots of kids, so it seems to me that you already have a great kit to accomplish this type work.

• Like 3

I stay in India. And I will have to buy from Ebay.com from a seller who does sell internationally. 

Many secondhand UK Leica dealers will sell internationally:

Two examples

http://www.ffordes.com/delivery

https://secure.peterwalnes.com/

Mail order is our speciality. We ship beautifully-packed items all over the world every day. Most items have a 12 month guarantee. All prices include VAT.

Edited by chris_livsey

DigLloyd (I know) has kind of eviscerated the Leica 35s in general.

I ended up grabbing a cheap used Zeiss ZM 35/2.8. It's tiny, reliable, and sharp, and I think it's great.

That says more about DigLloyd's anti-Leica bias than Leica's excellent 35 mm lenses in my opinion.

Pete.

• Like 5

The price is determined by what the market will bear.

$2,500 seems high to me for the 35/2 Summicron v4; it's been sitting at about $1,400 to $1,800 for some time although that might not be Giri's experience depending on where he's been looking or if it's a silver chrome lens, which are more expensive.

Pete. 

Here's my take, as someone who has used all three 35s mentioned. I prefer the v.4 for its ergonomics and its "journalistic" imaging (lower contrast, emphasis on center sharpness over overall sharpness at larger apertures, cooler color than the ASPHs).

I have never had to pay more than $1600 for a v.4 - keep looking. Make sure you are seeing international ebay and not just local.

If I HAD to buy new (which I never do) and price was no object,  I would prefer the Summilux ASPH over the Summicron ASPH. More aperture bang for the weight, and the f/1.4 aperture gives some of the "special" imaging of the pre-ASPH lens (yet less coma smears than the Summicron ASPH). I'd actually prefer a pre-FLE - but they are not available new except "old stock" still on the shelves. However, if you really like "28mm" but want more speed, then I would consider swapping out the Elmarit for the Summicron 28.

For reasons unimportant here, I got a 6-bit-coded 35 'cron ASPH for use with the M10. Suffered for a year. Ran across a v.2 pre-ASPH at a very good price (>$1000) a month ago and happily swapped my ASPH for it. V.2 and v.4 35 'crons produce pretty close imaging (sharp centers; fuzzy corners to f/5.6 or below)

Coincidentally, the swap also got me a v.2 28mm (1970s lens) with external finder - and I also found (just 3 days ago) a last-version 50 Summilux pre-ASPH. So I have somewhat done Giripai's proposed deal in reverse. Started with 35, added 28 and 50. (Also have 21/75/135, but that's a different story).

I doubt I will use/carry the 35 and the 50 and the 28 (and the 21) all at once - more likely I will decide "this is a 28/50 day" or "this is a 21/35 day" and only take what I need.

• Like 4

Two things I wonder.

Will it ever be enough of high ISO and will prices on Leica lenses ever stop.

M10 is what, 51K clean ISO capable? And 35 Cron 4 with plastic inner parts for 2.5K $?

The M10 is not "clean" above ISO 10000 - banding starts to show up in shadows at 12500, gets worse as the ISO used goes up. Unless one grossly overexposes - in which case one is really using ISO "10000" anyway.

I do shoot places where I still need f/1.4 (let alone f/2) to still get a hand-holdable journalistic 1/250-second exposure. Half the world is in nighttime at any given second - and at least half the interesting things in life happen at night. ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

adan said:

I doubt I will use/carry the 35 and the 50 and the 28 (and the 21) all at once - more likely I will decide "this is a 28/50 day" or "this is a 21/35 day" and only take what I need.

I second the wisdom of Adan for just one OR two lenses to take for a photo session with M Leica.

For a while I used only MATE (28-35-50) but now that I discovered not so long ago Summarit-M lens line, changed for something even more suitable for me: two lenses (one in a pocket or a pouch).

28+50 or 35+75 or 50+90 .

Or only one of my favorite lens.

The days that I (we) carry more than two lenses are to share them with my wife (we are then two "users/carriers" :)).

In your place OP, I'd take as others suggested 35mm Summarit-M ( my favorite 35mm to use by now owning Summilux and Summicron plus other 35mm :p ).

Sorry if a bit off topic, but I am looking for a 35mm Summicron pre-ASPH v4 (have to sell my 35mm Summilux FLE first), but I can't find any with 6 bit coding. When I bought my 75mm Summiliux, there were plenty with 6 bit coding to choose among. Isn't it normal to get the old 35mm Summicron lenses 6 bit coded?

Edited by evikne

Sorry if a bit off topic, but I am looking for a 35mm Summicron pre-ASPH v4 (have to sell my 35mm Summilux FLE first), but I can't find any with 6 bit coding. When I bought my 75mm Summiliux, there were plenty with 6 bit coding to choose among. Isn't it normal to get the old 35mm Summicron lenses 6 bit coded?

Simple and relatively inexpensive to get a lens coded (by DAG or others elsewhere) or DIY.

Jeff

Keep in mind that I was raised by the 35mm Summilux v2, and I am on my third, having destroyed the previous two on the job as an urban newspaper photographer, and general carelessness.

It is downright tiny, has a focusing tab (mine locks on infinity). I like its rendering, but as I wrote, it is all I know for 35mm focal length.

Try one if you can.