R4 film transport problem

droo75

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

I recently received a Leica R4 from my father with 2 lenses (summicron-R and vario-elmar-R). After reading the instruction manual for a few hours, I decided to try it but the winding lever stopped working and now feels very loose and the film does not advance. I took off the film and tried without it but still nothing happens. Also after one day the battery (that was new) feels weak (the led fades quite fast) and after pulling the lever the led indicator does not light on.

I read a few post on this forum before signing up that maybe had similar issues and the conclusion were that it was because of stuck magnets. Do you think it would be hard to repair ? It is one of the older models (157XXXX series) so I read online that it was not wise to  repair if its heavily damaged. My father bought it in the 80s and used it for his work in Africa and it still worked a few years ago. The camera is otherwise in good condition. I also thought of using a motor winder to unlock the lever but not really sure about the outcome.

I know these cameras are quite cheap nowadays but I would be very happy to use my father's (anyway having the lenses in good condition is already wonderfull).

Thank you for your help. 

Alexandre

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The R body prices are low, but for a camera with "history" I think it's worth repairing. If you are in the US, I'd get an estimate from Sherry Krauter or DAG (independent Leica techs). I think Sherry probably does more R work than DAG, but both are excellent.

I've had an M4 since the 1980s, and the only problem I've had (other than foam light seals on the back needing replacement) has been intermittent electrical contact of the exposure mode selector (under the shutter speed dial). When it's not making correct contact all kinds of weird things with the LEDs happen. Hold the lock button in and move the switch back and forth full range a few times to "wipe" the contacts, and mine always starts working again.

Hi TomB_tx, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately i am currently in Japan for my studies, but if I cannot find an answer i will probably go to a shop known for reparing Leicas.

By lock button do you mean the button that also serves for ISO setting and battery testing ?

So I was checking the body before going to the repair shop next weekend and I noticed that the rewind button at the bottom seemed pushed too deep. Also the film transport rolls can freely turn clockwise and anticlockwise so the lever is probably stuck because the rewind release is pushed in ? I am not sure but maybe i should try to disarm the rewind release.

• 4 years later...