Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys,

I've been using my M6 TTL without an issue for sometime and then I left it dormant for around a year when I left the country...

Now the meter wont work

, the M6 would work fine and still take pictures if exposed correctly with an external light meter, but the mechanism now would not turn on. 

I'm based in NYC and have sent it to the Leica repair and they sent it back saying that they can't fix it because they "no longer have the parts", I contact Sherry Krauter and she said that she gets her parts from Leica, so if they don't have it, she won't either.

So really now I'm just asking for help!

Thanks!

H

Do get fresh batteries (silver oxide SR44 or 357) and clean the battery contacts properly to test (you may already have done this ...)

Sometimes it really is something this simple with basic electronics (he writes somewhat hopefully)

Good luck!

J

Or **wind** the camera, to activate the meter.  But I'm sure that if you've gone as far as shipping it, then you, or the folks at Leica, have checked this.

Sorry to hear this.

An option may be to try and find a fully functioning M6 on eBay and use it to salvage parts. You can find them for quite low prices if they are beaten up externally and you also have a source of spares for later failures of other electronics. It depends on what you are prepared to spend on the repair.

There would be no point sending it to Germany .... I sent my  M6 TTL to them with a meter problem and they responded by telling me that they could not  repair it because the components were no longer available......... It was very disappointing at the time, but I bought a hand held meter and still use the camera

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By shoots
      SOS HELP!!!
      I dropped my Leica M4 and according to the NYC Camera Doctor repair team, the prism that creates the ghost image in the rangefinder is dislocated and needs to be replaced. They suggested that I send it directly into Leica for repairs, becuase the rangefinder is a complicated mechanism they wern't equipt to fix. They also let me know that Leica, located in New Jersey, dosen't do specific repairs and will want to do a full tune-up. Money is a concern, and I'm not prepared to pay $1000-ish if I can at all avoid it. I just want my range-finder to be functional.
      Has anyone had rangefinder work done, espeically on an M4? Would you advise having this work done by Leica or an outside repair person, such as DAG? Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      E
    • By S.L.Dixon
      Hi,
      I have had a M6 (serial number is in the 1665000 range) for about 7 years now and to be honest, haven't used it a lot in the last few years, but fired it up again recently and noticed that I think the light meter is functioning odd. In the past, I could press the shutter button when the film wasn't wound on and the light meter would activate, briefly, and then I could set the exposure. Now it doesn't do that, but when I wind film on, it will activate the light meter and not turn off until a photo is taken.
      I ran a roll of film through and it works fine - i.e the exposures were fine - it just seems to activate differently that it used to. Is this a common thing anyone knows about?
      I live in Melbourne, Australia and it's tough to get a repairer here who will look at an M6.  Any advice would be REALLY helpful. 
      Thanks in advance!
      Scott
      (Also, I added a photo of my camera just 'cause it's a nice looking thing.)

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By ThomasSmithDP
      Hey Guys,
      I wanted to buy a used leica since months now. But I am still unsure if I should go with the M6 or the M4? The only big difference is that the M6 has a lightmeter and the M4 not. But since I work in the film industry. I wanted to buy a separate light meter anyway at some point. So is it better to go with the cheaper M4 and get also a good lens instead of spending a lot on the M6?
      Looking forward to your replies
      Best
      Thomas

• By k0ffe
      Hi, 
      I have to choose between two mint condition cameras, one is a upgraded viewfinder M7 and second one is a m6 classic with a recent CLA. 
      I like the M7 as it gives me the option for aperture priority IF I want. But the one thing that worries me is the electronics, compared to the M6 mechanical inside. 

Please advise as I need to make a quick choice. The price is not the factor i need help with just the talk around riliabilty and posabilty to service IF it breaks down in a couple of years.