mystery lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, I have been trying to get data on this lens

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Any info most welcomed! Thx

Welcome to the Forum !

Leitz Canada, from the first years of its establishment, made A LOT of test/prototype lenses, mostly for military (they tried, with a certain success, to enter the rich US Defense market): the 3 digits number is typical of such items : when the factory was sold to Raytheon -then Hughes- , several of those items were dispersed in several ways (they surely weren't military secrets...) and do appear regularly for sale at some dealers, of course mostly in US/Canada. 

Not all of those prototypes are photographics lenses… they made also items for other optical devices… how is the mount of the lens you have depicted ? Is there a diaphragm ? A focusing helicoid ?  The engraving and finishing  look curiosly "Old style"... if original, it must be one of the first items made in Canada, well before the several black lenses named "ELCAN"

Apart the wide domain of Leitz Canada military items, the only reference to a normal Leitz product that I can imagine (considering focal and finishing) is a possible/vague relation with the Leica 72 half frame… some of them were built in Ontario… a 40mm f3,5 prototype "Elmar-like" could have a sense… but I have never read something about. 

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thank you so much for your response and your welcome Luigi! It totally makes sense, it is a strange little lens, at normal magnification ratios it is a good lens, but once you go past 1:1 this lens is extraordinarily sharp. The mount is also uncommon (I am including a photo). Please let me know if it reminds you of something you may have seen. Thanks again! :-)

Thank you so much for your response and your welcome Luigi! It totally makes sense, it is a strange little lens, at normal magnification ratios it is a good lens, but once you go past 1:1 this lens is extraordinarily sharp. The mount is also uncommon (I am including a photo). Please let me know if it reminds you of something you may have seen. Thanks again! :-)

Hum.. so you have been able to test it as a taking lens : have you got an idea about its coverage when used for taking a picture ? I mean, does it cover a std. 24x36 frame ? Does it focus at infinity with a decent rendition ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I suppose the above ruler is scaled in inches...considering that, by logic this ought to be a sort of Elmar design of 40mm FL.... one can guess the position of the focus plane… not so far from the end of the long helicoid (which, I suppose, is not to focus the lens in itself, but just to secure it to some device) : given the presence of diaphragm (no scale… but this is a prototype) I lean towards an enlarging lens, or even a lens to be attached to some repro equipment; lenses for those kind of equipment were usually black… but once again, this is a prototype.. 

Hi Guys,

In the world of macrophotography, although the usually quoted lenses in use during the 1950s were the Zeiss Luminars which were made in focal lengths of 16, 25, 40 and 63mm, there were also Leitz Summars and Milars available in similar focal lengths.  They were often used in 5x4  and 6x9 cameras (my information is based on Linhof publications).

Maybe this is one of these, but fitted in a helical mount for some special purpose?

Susie

It must indeed be a macro lens, especially in view of its performance quoted above.

A 40mm 3.5 that was that small and covered 4x5 at any distance would be something I would have drooled over when I used a Sinar (and would have defied the laws of physics), a 75mm 5.6 Super Angulon wwas impressive enough.

Gerry

Hi All, just to answer a couple of questions. It absolutely covers 4x5 (technically 3x4 because the Betterlight scanning back has that size sensor) with moderate bellows draw, magnifications of 1;1 and higher. I also have a collection of Milars, Photars, Luminars etc and this lens looks very different BUT performs similarly. :-) Thanks for all the info, this forum is amazing!!!!!!

… I am intrigued by this lens… and the fact that you are well knowledged about Milars, Luminars & C and  quote it as EXTRAORDINARY sharp at big repro ratios, on 4x5",  makes me to speculate that maybe it was designed for a microfiche equipment… microfiches had(have)  a format in the range of 4x5"  (105x148 mm is the standard).. they need a very sharp lens, being used to archive finely written/printed documents (and drawings) …  of course, nowadays they have been largely superseded by digital media… but in my "professional Youth" (first '80s) microfiches were a very common media in the engineering/manufacturing sector… thousands were produced…  and there were specific systems to "store and retrieve" them in proper repositories. 

… but in my "professional Youth" (first '80s) microfiches were a very common media in the engineering/manufacturing sector… thousands were produced…  and there were specific systems to "store and retrieve" them in proper repositories. 

To comply with legislation a large volume of medical records were transferred to microfiche, again in the 80's. Recently for some research we asked for access, no machines left to read the records we were told. The law was complied with, the records were stored, no mention of being able to actually read them apparently. So much for analog being an archival medium  ;)

• Like 1

To comply with legislation a large volume of medical records were transferred to microfiche, again in the 80's. Recently for some research we asked for access, no machines left to read the records we were told. The law was complied with, the records were stored, no mention of being able to actually read them apparently. So much for analog being an archival medium  ;)

B)  .. and HERE IS where we Leitz' oldies lovers can solve real serious issues !!!  Find on ebay this item http://www.summilux.net/documents/LeitzEpidiascopeVh2.pdf  (time to time some appear for sale… and are superbly engineered devices… typically WORKING)…  and you can projekt microfiches, take photos with any smartphone (*)… and get a trustable digital archive… B)

(*) Leica --Huawei reccomended as for Leitz' specs from the '60s... :D

B)  .. and HERE IS where we Leitz' oldies lovers can solve real serious issues !!! 

Indeed true, I should have been more precise, no reader machines left in the hospital, and should add no apparent desire to acquire one, we restricted the search to paper records. Currently the e-prescribing/notes roll out is proceeding, that should produce a really useful database search function, eventually  ;) 

Sheer laziness on somebody's part:

http://www.microfichereader.co.uk