Buying M2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I did the focus and RF test.

This is what I did:

- Cut a small window on paper and taped semi transparent scotch tape to simulate ground glass (I don't have). 

- taped the paper with window where film will go.

- removed the front of my old slide viewer so that I can use it as a magnifying glass to check focus.

It did work, however I learned a very important lesson.

Lessons learned:

- If you are not careful then the paper get pushed inside changing the flange distance and all your measurement will be off. In my first attempt the infinity focus was so off that I thought something is wrong with my camera and I decided to ask this forum. But then I checked the pictures from the first roll (on Tri-X) and they looked somewhat OK. Then I repeated the process by making sure I am not pushing the paper inside while viewing the image. This time it worked like a charm and the RF coincidence agreed with the image focus for all my lenses. I was relieved.

- The movement of the imaging plane is very small to throw off an error. I was surprised. Therefore if we are doing this ourselves then we have to be very careful in placing the ground glass (or paper window like mine).

- The imaging plane placement is more sensitive for wide angle lenses than tele (I went up to 90). This I verified by googling (found some discussion on rangefinder forum here). 

I loved the M2 but found the killing point was if you dropped it the main prism usually fractures (as I found). Mid M4 series changed to a better adhesive that does not happen so easily. Nice to see such oldies still in use!

Best,

normclarke.

I loved the M2 but found the killing point was if you dropped it the main prism usually fractures (as I found). Mid M4 series changed to a better adhesive that does not happen so easily. Nice to see such oldies still in use!

Best,

normclarke.

Didn’t know that. Isn’t that repairable?

• 2 years later...

Pico, I just came across this old thread where you ask about my friend at NatGeo.  His name is Randy Olsen.  I taught his wife to develop her first roll of film back in 1971 at Indiana University.  We were both on the yearbook staff and she is perhaps my oldest friend.  Both of us grew up in southern Indiana one county apart.  She also has freelanced for NatGeo, shot a couple books for them, and her name is Melissa Farlow.  Check out their work at Farlow/Olsen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and Merry Christmas to you all !

I recently purchased a pristine Leica M2. It is in an almost new conditions really, no signs of use or anything.

One problem : there is a mark on the rangefinder. I guess it is a dust because it looks lie it, but I have doubts on the lumination glass as well (broken maybe?).

+ there are marks on the framelines, is it normal ?...

Here are photos made with my iphone through the rangefinder. Let me now what you think.

I bought it around 1200euros

I initially purchased it for the experience of shooting with an M2 without metering + having a pristine M2 for the future days. I have my M6 and M240 for daily use anyway.

My few questions are :

1 - Has anyone got this problem in the past ? Does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to fix it ?

2 - Shall I send it back and try to get one cheaper ?

3 - Shall I just do nothing, that was a fair price, I can fix it later.

Thank you for your help !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by islaloha

Today's update :

I masked both the rangefinder AND the viewfinder windows, and put a light through the illumination glass, and here is what I got.

When a move the focus ring, the marks also move, so I guess the problem is located  between the illumination glass and the frames >>> the magnifier maybe ?

When I look closely in the rangefinder glass and in the viewfinder, I cant see any dust or so. I am getting fascinated about the whole construction and the WHY TF there is something appearing in the RF... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by islaloha

I had something very similar in an M4. It looked like small hairs all over the rangefinder patch. It was diagnosed as a delaminating rangefinder mask (it is a glass sandwich with the frameline mask between). The M4P and later do not use the glass sandwich construction. Mine was replaced with the M4 P mask. Now it is perfectly clear.

Cameraworks in the UK makes a replacement for the M2. Cost is material.  

See here https://www.cameraworks-uk.com/post/2017/09/08/improving-the-leica-m2-rangefinder-or-why-you-need-a-fta-brightline-mask

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

As someone who Q tips his ears daily, against the well meaning advice of experts and Doctors, I also use canned air on my lenses and sensors. But I'm smart about it. Never had an issue.  Anyway, I once had a similar issue with my M4. I took out the screw for vertical rangefinder adjustment and inserted the little tube and gave a very light shot of air (you can use a near empty can to be safe) and my patch has been clean ever since.  Also, there are plenty of You Tube videos that show top plate removal, which would allow for a cleaning of the viewfinder windows, which typically get a small amount of haze after several decades, and a light shot of compressed air to the rangefinder mechanism.

Edited by Rob L