Norwegian Fjord Horses, Leica D1 (The Early Days Of Digital) These are the most friendly, gentle, trusting horses on the planet.

Edited by fotografr

Norwegian Fjord Horses, Leica D1 (The Early Days Of Digital) These are the most friendly, gentle, trusting horses on the planet.

+1

Kyrgyzstan.

That is one scary looking dude with the black mask over his face. Is there a story?

That is one scary looking dude with the black mask over his face. Is there a story?

You're right, it looks like he might be on his way to rob a bank.

The photo was taken at the end of spring in the Celestial Mountains, when nomads bring their horses to high altitude meadows at around 3.000 m. near Sön Kül Lake, where they graze until the beginning of autumn.

It was a very cold day when I saw that horse rider, I guess the mask was to protect against the icy wind. After he saw me photographing, he stopped and took off the mask. Since we had no communal language, we just exchanged a smile.

These nomads live in yurts, a hard life, it never gets very warm at that altitude. Their hospitality is unparalleled, and their diary products are wonderful. Especially the kumis, fermented horse milk, a national drink in Kyrgyzstan.

Although there is no luxury in this environment, I guess the view from these yurts is better than from the balcony of many comfortable hotels.