Working with the Leica 90mm Summicron L

MikelM10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm in the middle of working on a Street Photography project using the Leica SL and have been doing some work in London with the new 90mm Summicron L. I'm finding the contrast between using other gear, perhaps more often chosen for Street work, a very interesting challenge. The extra weight and bulk of the SL is handsomely balanced by the whole SL experience and the new 90mm f2 lens is a joy, although the focussing is much slower than I'm accustomed to and means you have to work a bit slower and more methodically in the Street, where speed is often a challenge.

I'm again very impressed with the SL having set it aside in favour of the M10 until recently. It's easy to overlook the qualities it offers and the images are second to none. This shot is an example - only 20% of the original frame. Shot at f4 1/500s ISO 125.

Is anyone else here working with the new 90mm on the SL. If so how are you finding it in your work?

Mike

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ZagatoV12
  • Like 6

I love 85-90mm lenses. If I could only have two lenses it's be a 50 and an 85/90.

As a people shooter (weddings and corporate portraits) for work the SL90 is exactly right for what I need. It's an absolutely spectacular piece of glass and makes, for me, a perfect compliment to my SL 50.

As for AF, it's fine for what I need. More than enough. I also have a few flagship 85-90mm *(Sigma Art, Sony GM, Panasonic 42.5) lenses and none of them are particularly fast focusing except the Pana/Leica and Olympus They're also moving a lot less glass.

As with the other SL lenses it's the almost complete lack of CA that amazes me most. Even compared to my two other current favourites (Sony GM and Panna/Leica 42.5) the SL outshines them.

Gordon

• Like 1

Rumors of Frida's demise are obviously exagerated. I fortunately received a 90SL about a week before a two-week trip to the UK and Ireland. I shot with the 90 quite a bit, and thought the AF worked pretty well - it nailed the blokes (below) in the Lifeboat pretty quickly after I'd yanked it out of my bag while I was crossing Millenium Bridge. (The Picasso exhibit at Tate Modern is well worth the walk, and the admission.)

Well, I thought I'd uploaded the picture....

Edited by Chuck Albertson

Rumors of Frida's demise are obviously exagerated. I fortunately received a 90SL about a week before a two-week trip to the UK and Ireland. I shot with the 90 quite a bit, and thought the AF worked pretty well - it nailed the blokes (below) in the Lifeboat pretty quickly after I'd yanked it out of my bag while I was crossing Millenium Bridge. (The Picasso exhibit at Tate Modern is well worth the walk, and the admission.)

Well, I thought I'd uploaded the picture....

No you didn’t :-)

Try this again...

• Like 3

This (gorgeous) Bentley wasn't moving, so the AF speed wasn't a factor.

• Like 4

Received my SL 90 today.  Mounted it on the camera, and it sounds like a truck when it focuses.  Called the dealer, held the phone up to the lens while focusing, and he said even over the phone he could tell something was wrong.  I guess spending $5,000 on a lens isn't enough to pay for a little quality assurance.  No wonder people pan the Leica name.  Unbelievable.  

One example of a lens issue shouldn’t be used as an indication of overall quality control.

The opposite is true as well, one good example doesn’t mean they’re amazing with QC.

I would grade them on their ability to resolve the situation.

• Like 4

One example of a lens issue shouldn’t be used as an indication of overall quality control.

The opposite is true as well, one good example doesn’t mean they’re amazing with QC.

I would grade them on their ability to resolve the situation.

I would agree. Awful luck with your 90 but dealer and Leica should resolve the problem immediately. Let us know how you get this resolved.

Couldn't resist adding one single colour image (very rare for me to work in colour) which I've become fond of. Shot yesterday in Dubrovnik. One of those happy shots - SL and the 90mm Summicron L again.

Edited by ZagatoV12
  • Like 1

Ooops - trying again .....

• Like 6

They were kind enough to run a marathon past my front door this morning (free models!), so I sat down against a stop sign and got tried a few things with the 90SL and the AF system, mostly at f/2.8. I used the "zone" setting for the AF field setting most of the time, and it worked pretty well. After a half-hour or so, the runners became more numerous and the AF took a little time as it hunted for a target, but usually ended up tracking whomever it decided was in front of the pack. Once it locked onto someone, it tracked him/her really well. The rising sun poked through from underneath some glowering storm clouds for a nice directional light, which seemed to help the AF.

Yer man in front (below) seemed to take slight umbrage at my "Mariners Baseball" T-shirt, but that will be dealt with at next weekend's series at Safeco Field.

• Like 3

....  tried a few things with the 90SL and the AF system, mostly at f/2.8. I used the "zone" setting for the AF field setting most of the time, and it worked pretty well. After a half-hour or so, the runners became more numerous and the AF took a little time as it hunted for a target, but usually ended up tracking whomever it decided was in front of the pack. Once it locked onto someone, it tracked him/her really well......

attachicon.gifWadda you lookin' at-.jpg

Thanks Chuck. I haven't tried tracking a moving figure yet so it's good to know it locks on and follows well.

Mike

One more portrait. This shot is from the same series of 90mm Summicron-SL tests. I am more impressed with the 90mm, the more I work with it. It just seems to do what you want when you want. Can't say fairer than that........

• Like 4

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'd received a defective SL90.  It was wisely suggested I hold judgement and await Leica's response.  Here it is: they have a rep flying to Germany for the event later this week.  He will take the lens with him, and Leica will repair and return it with the rep, who will then send it to me.  When I pushed back, they offered a refund.  The odd thing is that they can obtain no replacement lens due to non-availability.

What is your read on this course of action.  Would you be comfortable with a lens that shipped defective, and then went back to the factory for repairs before being returned to you as new?  Not my preference, but the alternative is no lens for the foreseeable future.  Any insights or similar experience outcomes would be helpful and appreciated.