I love my R4

sandro

• 6 months later...

Just joined. Putting a Rollie of Kodak T Max 400 @800 through and seeing what happens next 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

I have a Leica R4s MOD-P which I just love!

• Like 6

On 2/13/2020 at 5:47 PM, Fogdog said:

I have a Leica R4s MOD-P which I just love!

Welcome to the forum, and with a beautiful camera. I am using film M camera's, but when I am using my R4 I just love the way it handles.

Lex

• 2 months later...

I have a R4 and a R8. But my R4 has an issue. When I change from A-mode to T-mode inside the viewer the display doesn’t change accordingly. Sort of mechanical issue. But where would I be able to get this looked after and repaired nowadays? The pictures turn out fine in all modes, so its just a display matter. But who wants to drive a Mercedes with a dashboard not working properly?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am not sure what kind of change you would expect in the viewfinder display. As far as I know you just get the aperture mirrored at the bottom and the shutter times at the right. That doesn't change when you choose another metering mode.

Lex

• 3 months later...

I have an R4s and a like-new in the case R4s Mod. 2 on the way.  Using a Vario-Elmar 3.5/35-70 and a 2.8/Elmarit 24mm.  Just took the R4s on a photo shoot up to Teton National Park & Yellowstone.  I shot all B&W images with it on Ilford HP5+ 400 and they came out really nice.  Some were a little more grainy than I'm used to, but not bad.  I took some shots from where Ansel Adams shot his photos back in 1942 just for the fun of it and they looked good.  

I like shooting film and while I have a great medium format digital X1d the R4s was a lot of fun to use.  My R4s is showing some paint loss on the side but still works perfectly.  I'm looking forward to shooting some slide film with the new Mod. 2 I have coming with the Elmarit 2.8/24mm.  I'm used to bigger medium format film cameras and it's a pleasure to have the R4s in the bag and shoot film without lugging a big behemoth around.  I haven't shot slide film on it, so that should be interesting.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The R4 that I bought for my photography curse in my Fine Art School in France, also with an OM2 and a F3. The students love this camera!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, comte de Mazan said:

The R4 that I bought for my photography curse in my Fine Art School in France, also with an OM2 and a F3. The students love this camera!

Lovely camera's! I used to have an OM-2 with several lenses which was wonderful to work woth. I sold all the Olympus material to buy a Leica M6TTl many years ago.

Lex

The R4 with other cameras, and for fun, a few others from my school.

Personally, I use a Rolleiflex 2.8 F, a Leica MP, an Olympus OM4 TI and a Nikon FM2 (which has remained my favorite reflex, after having owned a Nikon F2 and an F3.) I know the R4 well, a very nice camera, but I prefer the simplicity and efficiency of a Nikon FM2.

• Like 2