Leica SF 60 flash and HSS - and the M10

marcg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In several places in the SF 60 manual and also in the manual for the remote, it refers to HSS but merely says that HSS is supported if

Automatic high speed synchronization, if supported by camera
model

I'm trying to work out whether the new/will allow the M 10 to work with HSS at 1/4000?

In other words does the system overcome the existing standard rather slow for a synchronisation speed?

Does anyone have any ideas please.

https://us.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=&subcategory=148549&type=&language=all

https://us.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=&subcategory=148550&type=&language=all

Edited by marcg

Yes. For Leica cameras, there is no setting in the camera manual like Sony camera which you need to specify HSS. Instead the setting is at the back of the flash unit ( for SF58, yet to learn for SF 60 & SFC1 although I recall seeing the HSS dial on the SFC1)

Yes. For Leica cameras, there is no setting in the camera manual like Sony camera which you need to specify HSS. Instead the setting is at the back of the flash unit ( for SF58, yet to learn for SF 60 & SFC1 although I recall seeing the HSS dial on the SFC1)

For the SF64, HSS is set automatically depending on chosen shutter speed - no other intervention is needed.

• Like 1

For the SF64, HSS is set automatically depending on chosen shutter speed - no other intervention is needed.

Thanks for the info. It looks similar on the SF60 as I cannot find the HSS setting looking through the quick start guide. It is Leica's philosophy to simplify matters and I do like that.

• 3 months later...

I found 3 ways to achieve HSS flash capture. 

1. The good ole SC-17 flash extension cord/shoe from Nikon with the SF-58 or SF-64. Both those flashes are capable of firing in "manual" mode high speed with the SL601 at all shutter (mechanical) speeds.

2. The new SF-C1 remote commander in Auto or TTL mode paired with the new SF-60 flash. The SF60 is a bit anemic so to augment the power use any godox or flashpoint flash {AD200, AD360, AD600} in optical slave manual mode [s2] with the high-speed sync turned on. This set up is wireless, clean and effective at all shutter(mechanical) speeds with ANY Leica camera.

3. Priolite (Leica variant) remote commander with 3.5mm stereo cable plugged into any godox / flashpoint flash in manual mode with HSS turned on. This setup is good for studio work and shooting in the bright sun on the beach where the optical slave mode is iffy.

There must be a simpler way to do this but I haven't found it.

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2018 at 6:12 AM, Fritz said:

2. The new SF-C1 remote commander in Auto or TTL mode paired with the new SF-60 flash. The SF60 is a bit anemic so to augment the power use any godox or flashpoint flash {AD200, AD360, AD600} in optical slave manual mode [s2] with the high-speed sync turned on. This set up is wireless, clean and effective at all shutter(mechanical) speeds with ANY Leica camera.

There must be a simpler way to do this but I haven't found it.

The Leica SF C1 Commander can pair and control the Nissin MG10 flash with 165Ws output on Manual & TTL control.