Zeiss 50 sonnar on a Leica MD - Can I 6bit code?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello guys,

I recently bought a Zeiss 50mm sonnar. I made sure that I was getting the newer units that are all optimized for 1.5.

I have to say that I am impressed on how good (sharp may not be the word, although it is sharp) it is wide open.

The only problem is that it shows strong purple fringing on overexposed areas. It is easily removed on the computer, but I like to mess as little as possible with my files. I've heard this chromatic aberration ccan often be solved by manually setting the lens to a 'similar' lens from Leica database.  

- Is there any manual option than would work well for the Sonnar?

- Then, is there a way to code the lens phisically, as MD does not allow the manual setting?

Thanks again for your help!

Jaime

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

- Then, is there a way to code the lens phisically, as MD does not allow the manual setting?

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but all the newer Zeiss lenses have a rebate machined into the lens flange specifically to accept coding paint. It's machined as a ring as opposed to individual rebates presumably so copyright isn't infringed. You just need to make yourself a template and try a few options. But my own opinion is that it won't make any difference with a 50mm lens what code you use, your purple fringing will remain.

Great lens in EVF mode, less so in RF mode due to focus shift. Mine is coded as Summilux 50/1.4 pre-asph but i don't see significant differences i must say. CA is moderate on the ZM 50/1.5 and coding can do nothing against overexposure anyway. I have no experience with the MD but i use centre-weighted metering on my M240 and i apply a -0.5 EV correction generally. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...