Non Leica lens suggestion for Leica T

Extreme example of adapting a 400mm long focus lens to my Leica T 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It's a Novoflex 400mm Noflexar 'T' c/w bellows extension for close-up imaging at a distance … and fitted with a Lee Filters adjustable hood and circular polariser.

The Novoflex follow focus lens mount can be fitted with a choice of approx 18 camera body adapters including a LETA type for the Leica T/TL/SL,  Novoflex LEMA adapter for the Leica M, and Novoflex LEA-R adapter for the Leica R series (latter useful for the R9/DMR) 

The sky's the limit when adapting lenses to mirrorless cameras. The Noflexar T 400mm is a 3 element achromat with 'squeeze trigger' follow focus mount developed/designed in 1960s and 1970s by Novoflex; optics manufactured by Leitz (Leica) and assembled by Agfa.  If anyone is considering purchase of a 'budget price' 400mm lens (often less than £100 on Ebay), the Novoflex Noflexar 400mm T could be a worthwhile option - provided you can cope with manual focusing and the lens' length. A telephoto 400mm design is more compact i.e. shorter, than a long focus (Long Tom) lens. 

Unfortunately 'rain stopped play' when using the T in above 'first time use' photo thus have no 'long distance' close-up images to post … but the combination 'filled the frame' with a Bee Orchid at 4 metres distance (just before the rain commenced)   Objective is to use the combination for pond bugs / dragonflies / butterflies.  The lens / camera combination is supported on a Berlebach mini wooden tripod fitted with a Linhof ball head and Novoflex fork mount … and the T is fitted with a Visoflex EVF.  Some of you may recall me using another 400mm Noflexar T lens but that example's bellows was jammed - thus not suitable for close-up imaging. The 'jam' is now remedied but the bellows needs a replacement knob before it can be used again. Also have Novoflex 600mm and 64cm (640mm) lens heads to use on the spare mount - which enable additional long focus options for bird hide use. 

When used with a Novoflex LEA-R (Leica R) adapter, the various Novoflex long focus lens heads can be used with Leitz/Leica 1.4x and 2x APO extenders … but with resultant e.g. 840mm and 1200mm lenses (with the 400mm Noflexar and T's 1.5x APS crop factor), TWO tripods are required for stability i.e. to prevent 'shake'. 

The 3 element 400mm Noflexar 'T' is a better performer than the 'two element' achromatic Novoflex 400mm, 600mm and 640mm long focus lenses - but they can all be used with the same Novoflex 'follow focus' mount. 

Photo taken by Leica Forum member Mike J.  

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 6

Extreme example of adapting a 400mm long focus lens to my Leica T 

attachicon.gifNoflexar-leica-T-experiment-rslf.jpg

It's a Novoflex 400mm Noflexar 'T' c/w bellows extension for close-up imaging at a distance … and fitted with a Lee Filters adjustable hood and circular polariser.

The Novoflex follow focus lens mount can be fitted with a choice of approx 18 camera body adapters including a LETA type for the Leica T/TL/SL,  Novoflex LEMA adapter for the Leica M, and Novoflex LEA-R adapter for the Leica R series (latter useful for the R9/DMR) 

The sky's the limit when adapting lenses to mirrorless cameras. The Noflexar T 400mm is a 3 element achromat with 'squeeze trigger' follow focus mount developed/designed in 1960s and 1970s by Novoflex; optics manufactured by Leitz (Leica) and assembled by Agfa.  If anyone is considering purchase of a 'budget price' 400mm lens (often less than £100 on Ebay), the Novoflex Noflexar 400mm T could be a worthwhile option - provided you can cope with manual focusing and the lens' length. A telephoto 400mm design is more compact i.e. shorter, than a long focus (Long Tom) lens. 

Unfortunately 'rain stopped play' when using the T in above 'first time use' photo thus have no 'long distance' close-up images to post … but the combination 'filled the frame' with a Bee Orchid at 4 metres distance (just before the rain commenced)   Objective is to use the combination for pond bugs / dragonflies / butterflies.  The lens / camera combination is supported on a Berlebach mini wooden tripod fitted with a Linhof ball head and Novoflex fork mount … and the T is fitted with a Visoflex EVF.  Some of you may recall me using another 400mm Noflexar T lens but that example's bellows was jammed - thus not suitable for close-up imaging. The 'jam' is now remedied but the bellows needs a replacement knob before it can be used again. Also have Novoflex 600mm and 64cm (640mm) lens heads to use on the spare mount - which enable additional long focus options for bird hide use. 

When used with a Novoflex LEA-R (Leica R) adapter, the various Novoflex long focus lens heads can be used with Leitz/Leica 1.4x and 2x APO extenders … but with resultant e.g. 840mm and 1200mm lenses (with the 400mm Noflexar and T's 1.5x APS crop factor), TWO tripods are required for stability i.e. to prevent 'shake'. 

The 3 element 400mm Noflexar 'T' is a better performer than the 'two element' achromatic Novoflex 400mm, 600mm and 640mm long focus lenses - but they can all be used with the same Novoflex 'follow focus' mount. 

Photo taken by Leica Forum member Mike J.  

dunk 

That is an awesome adaptation, sir!  Thanks Mike J for this photojournalistic photo!

Dennis