Iceland with M10?

6bit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has any done Iceland with the M10? If so, do you wish you had taken a different body (ie Sony a7 series)? Also, what focal lengths did you use? And last but not least, would 35mm make it in Iceland?

I have had plenty tell me 24mm gets by fine but 35 seems more restrictive compared to 24.

I will be in the highlands mostly. Trying to decide if I should take my M10.

TIA

I was in Iceland five years ago this month with an M240, the WATE, a 28 Cron, and a 50 Lux. I found the WATE most useful for landscapes/seascapes, but the 28 was perfect for me as a walk-around lens. Shot more than 6,000 images in 10 days, with at least 300 making the final "keeper" cut and 50 going into a slideshow. Iceland is, as you may know, just breathtaking, and I should think your M10 will serve you well. If you have an a7 Series body and dedicated Sony lenses, as I do, you should certainly consider that kit as well. With the Sony, I think the superb 24-105 would be the only lens you would need. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

I do have an a7R3 and 2. One is going. I have the Batis 18, 25, and 85. I also have all Loxia. Would be nice to fit the M in there with the 28 or 35.

I have to take a Sony for any long exposures.

You are certainly adequately equipped for any contingency! Have you been to Iceland before? If not, I could offer some location/area suggestions you might perhaps find useful. (I stress the "perhaps.") Though this might not be the place to clutter up the Forum with such chatter.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was in Iceland this past January for 10 days and found my full Fuji kit to be indispensable. You could definitely make it work to some degree with a limited M10 kit and I contemplated paring my kit down drastically but I eventually decided that lugging around everything was worth the effort as we had a rental car so I could keep gear in there and grab what I needed dependent on the situation. 

• Like 1

I spent a fortnight in Iceland with the M240, using mainly the 28mm and 90mm (I'd have preferred the 75, but it was under repair).

I was in Iceland this past January for 10 days and found my full Fuji kit to be indispensable. You could definitely make it work to some degree with a limited M10 kit and I contemplated paring my kit down drastically but I eventually decided that lugging around everything was worth the effort as we had a rental car so I could keep gear in there and grab what I needed dependent on the situation. 

I don't understand why the Fuji kit should be indispensible or why a M10 kit (with the EVF for occasional ultrawide or macro) should be limited in comparison. I can't disagree with you because you give no explanation. I guess if you want birdlife then something that handles long lenses easily would be nice, but otherwise?

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 3

I was there in 2016, and will be there this year too : M240 in 2016 and same today…  Haven't yet decided if I will keep exactly the same set of 2016 (28 50 135 280) but is very probable : I don't remember occasions in which I had to complain not to have a 21... and by sure will bring again a long tele : air is so clean in Iceland that takings at great distance aren't a problem, and far  interesting subjects  are many (btw, this year I plan to go also in Latrabjerg cliffs and hope to take some bird-pictures…)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

My original thought was Loxia 21 and 85. With Zony 35/2.8 in case the family wanted a quick pic (Af).

Now I’m wondering if the Batis 18, 25, and 85 would make more sense. This trio has served me well before.

I hate leaving the M10 at home because I love using it. But if it goes I’m only going to take one lens for it. I have the CV15 but at some point you have to be real and leave something(s) behind.

I also have the Sony 24-70 f4 which I like. I normally use it for people shoots when I’m in a hurry. I took it to London and Paris last year on my a7R2 as my backup camera and long exposure camera. M10 is just too weak for long exposures.

So maybe the CV15 and 28 with M10 with a73 and 24-70.

How big of a concern is rain in July in the highlands?

We have a personal guide for four of our days in the highlands so I only have to hit a few spots for the extra days we are there.

I’ve never been to Iceland before.

Edited by 6bit
  • Like 1

I would be more worried about composition and light than about specific gear. Just about any decent camera nowadays can take a good photograph. The bottleneck is the photographer. And the best images are not taken by gear-laden ones in my experience.

• Like 8

I am also planing a trip to Island and also have the M10 with some lenses and the A7rii with some lenses.

The only thing that is for sure up to now I would never leave my M10 at home. Even if the A7 has more Pixels, the M10 has nicer and sharper lenses and great colors, at least in my opinion.

So I will leave my A7rii at home and go with my M10 + SEM21, Summicron 28, Summilux 50 and Macro Elmar 90. And if I really need more width I am prepared to do panos.

With the same config I was in Scotland last month and I absolutely did not miss my A7rii.

These are my 2 cent.

Wish You a nice trip.

Wolfram

• Like 2

B) 

How big of a concern is rain in July in the highlands?

We have a personal guide for four of our days in the highlands so I only have to hit a few spots for the extra days we are there.

I’ve never been to Iceland before.

What I have understood well of Iceland, in my first trip, is that expecially at North IT OFTEN RAINS : but I didn't suffer too much about the usage of my M240 : quickly said, if it rains hard… no picture to take :( , if it rains not hard and fog is only distant, some drops on my  M240 aren't an issue…

• Like 1

Dont get fooled by people telling you that you need super wide lenses, you really dont. This is of course dependant on your style of shooting... If you love super wide then you'll still love it there. But Iceland a lot of the beauty is seen from afar, so you really need to consider taking a 75-90mm Lens if not a 135. I used a Batis 85 a lot and never really needed below a 35mm. Occasionally I used a 14 and 21 but rarely.

• Like 1

I have never been to Iceland but when I go, here is the Leica kit I would take for shooting people, places, events, icebergs, and Aurora Borealis:

Leica M10 (instead of M6 shown in photo)

21mm

35mm

90mm

180mm (adapted)

polarizing filter

battery charger

extra battery

extra memory cards

tripod

plastic bag to protect equipment from moisture

36275915712_5b3c6eefc0_c.jpg

Leica Kit by Narsuitus, on Flickr

• Like 2

Dont get fooled by people telling you that you need super wide lenses, you really dont. This is of course dependant on your style of shooting... If you love super wide then you'll still love it there. But Iceland a lot of the beauty is seen from afar, so you really need to consider taking a 75-90mm Lens if not a 135. I used a Batis 85 a lot and never really needed below a 35mm. Occasionally I used a 14 and 21 but rarely.

This has been the advice I have been given from others. I will pick up a 75 or 90 cron if I take the M. My go to lens and focal length is the 35 lux. My wide angles are for waterfalls around the US where you are right up on them and they may be 200' in height. A 35 won't work. A 21 won't work a lot of the time. My Batis 18 struggled on a few. Definitely have some decisions to make. I appreciate everyone's advice. It is much appreciated.

My recommendations based on several ventures to Iceland.

1. Expect rain, wind and cold. This means three seasons in one day, and four if you go to higher elevations.

2. Bad weather can be opportunity for great photographs.

3. If you have a second camera (and lenses) take it. Failures can happen and you would not want to be without a functioning camera. There is no place to replace equipment. This applies to chargers, batteries and storage cards.

4. I have gone with different combinations of equipment. M9 plus S, and two S bodies and M-P 240. Call it belts and braces (suspenders). I have experienced a failure that rendered a camera useless. My backup camera became my primary camera.

5. My most-used lens was a Super-Elmar-S 24. This is equivalent to 19mm on the M. It is also my most-used lens in general. I also used 55mm and 144mm equivalents with the S.

6. As in many locations, you could use any focal length imaginable. Select your lenses based on what you use most in other locations. For M10, I suggest 21mm, 50mm and 90mm.

7. Be careful driving and take your time. High winds and narrow (with or without curves) roads make challenging conditions. I witnessed several near misses, when the vehicles could not stay in their lanes. Drivers are from all over the world, many of whom have never experienced these kinds of conditions. The Icelanders, on the other hand, overestimate their capabilities and ignore the laws of physics. ;)

I am certain that you will have an enjoyable time, whatever you decide. Iceland is an enchanting place and I plan to continue my ventures there.

Jesse

https://www.leica-fotopark.com/en/images/projects/AVauBVckJk7L_V2AjFMP

Edited by djmay
  • Like 4