L mount and EVF across Leica all formats?

Einst_Stein

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. The 3 lines don't overlap much at this stage.

I doubt they can change the essential DSLR nature of the S line but a mirrorless version will be good.

The extra space can be devoted to a tilt shift mechanism like that of the Rollei 66, expanding the photography possibilities. Not something most amateurs will want or need but pros may consider it.

Taking it a little further, I'm pretty sure Sinar engineers can built a full blown integrated view camera body with AF capabilities of the S.

Tap 2 points on the LCD and the camera tells you what shift, tilt, yaw and aperture to set and the AF does goes to the calculated point of focus for the aperture. I'm sure not all of those steps is possible yet but Sinar was able to refine those steps mechanically for us to be more productive 20 years ago. Pretty sure they can do a better job today.

If Leica does do a view camera styled S, you will see really different and unusual photography shots go mainstream.

Edited by lx1713

i suspect it is the trend. All leica new cameras, including MF, FF, HF, are to have L mount and EVF.

Perhapes the only survivor would be M, in the limited future. 

The rangefinder, SLR and EVF have great utility in their own ways and appeal differently. I like all 3 so I'm glad we do have the great choices to choose from.

At this moment, any general photography task I take on, it's the EVF. If it's a media interview of just  one person, the rangefinder. If something that moves fast or I have strobes on a set, I'm likely to go for DSLR. These are just generalised situations so don't take me to task :D

I suspect Leica will continue to offer all three types of experience for decades to come.

Edited by lx1713

I made the decision to get out of the S system. Not that it is not a great camera and lens line, I just was not using it that much after I got the SL. I also got the X1D for Christmas last year and it is so much lighter weight I saw no reason to keep so much stuff if I was not going to use it. I am using the S equipment on trade to further my SL system. So far I have a 90-280 and am waiting on the 16-35. FWIW