CL and TL- the MACRO Image Thread

I notice a lot of Macro interest of late. Let's start a Macro image thread.

CL - Vario-Elmar 105-280R. ISO 3200

attachicon.gifdragonflyluf.jpg

The only rule for the thread:

Photographs of small items larger than life size,  taken with the CL.

Please state lens and method (i.e., macro lens ,or short focus tele, or  bellows, or rings, or diopter, whatever)

But this is approx 1/6 life size on the sensor … not larger than life size as per 'rules'  ;)

Most of the images in this thread are 'less than life size' on the sensor. 

Most macro lenses' reproduction ratios e.g. 1:2 or 1:1 are the lenses' max. potential magnifications on the sensor. 

For example, the TL 60/2.8 Asph. macro lens can focus an object 24mm x 16mm at approx life size i.e. reproduces the subject as a frame (i.e. sensor) filling image 23.6mm x 15.7mm … as near as d___ it 1:1 life size. 

Rules need amending?? 

My 1st Dragonfly.

attachicon.gifL1020636.jpg

CL + Laowa 60/2.8 macro , ISO 1600, f/11, 1/200s

Male Azure Damselfly … strictly speaking not a dragonfly 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

I take "larger than life size" to mean that the resulting image of the subject is larger than the subject in real life. 

Single-image reproductions in which the subject is larger than life size on the sensor (i.e. > 1:1) would have very shallow depth of field.  I'm not aware of any standalone Leica lenses that reproduce "larger than life size" on the sensor.

None of the images I've posted in this thread are much closer than 1:3, and the mods are more than welcome to delete them if they are not in keeping with the intended rules.

And in keeping with the notion that this is an image thread:

CL with 180mm APO-Elmarit-R + APO-Extender-R 2X . . . 

Common Scarlet dragonfly (Crocothemis Servilia) . . .

attachicon.gifreddfly.jpg

There are standard photomacrography conventions defining 'larger than life size' … and there are several Leitz/Leica lenses (e.g. Photars) designed for greater than life size images … and shallow depth of field can be expanded via stacking techniques.  Those who are familiar with photomacrography techniques will likely be aware of the established conventions. The images in this thread are fine … but the rules could probably be stated more precisely. Given that this is a 'macro image thread' it would be  better to use the correct and established terminology  ;)

dunk  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

CL + Laowa macro 60/2.8 , ISO 1600, 1/125 s, f 8

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are standard photomacrography conventions defining 'larger than life size' … and there are several Leitz/Leica lenses (e.g. Photars) designed for greater than life size images … and shallow depth of field can be expanded via stacking techniques.  Those who are familiar with photomacrography techniques will likely be aware of the established conventions. The images in this thread are fine … but the rules could probably be stated more precisely. Given that this is a 'macro image thread' it would be  better to use the correct and established terminology  ;)

dunk  

I'm aware of the various definitions.  And I know what stacking is, which is specifically why I stated single-image reproductions.

Again, mods may feel free to delete my images in this thread if they are out of compliance with the "conventions." I log in to this site to participate cooperatively, not to be "shouted down" or engage in pedantry.  I'm outta this thread.

I was trying to state an opinion about the 'rules' and there is no need for anyone to think that their images should be deleted. Maybe the mods should delete my posts and then you can continue participating …  No offence was intended and I apologise if you are offended. Your images are fine. 

dunk 

I do true "larger than life size" photomicrography when I 'scan' Minox negatives. Minox negatives are 8x11 mm in size; to achieve as much data from them on FF format as possible, I've used this setup with the SL, the Focusing Bellows-R, and the Summicron-R 50mm lens to achieve 2.7:1 magnification: 

24075397171_0927a92fe3_c.jpg

This nets a nice big negative image of the Minox original, about 20 MPixel in size:

23790191609_9893884960_c.jpg

After cropping and processing, I can make nice sized, detailed prints from that: 

24157999585_9a2a712944_o.jpg

Deutsches Museum, Turbine Impeller - Munich 1997

Minox B - APX100 - HC110 

One of my goals in acquiring the CL body is to do this kind of macro work. Given its smaller sensor and 24 Mpixel resolution, I'll be able to achieve the same thing with a lower magnification (something around 1.8:1 to 2:1, depending on how much lossy area at the edges I need to allow) using the same lenses, bellows, tubes, etc that I have from my R system kit and the appropriate Leica M Adapter L and R Adapter M mount adapters. 

This and other, similar small flat art and object studies, are my interest in close up photography, in general. I see absolutely no need for AF when shooting any of this kind of work, whether in the field or not, because all of it really requires a camera stand or tripod of some sort to achieve the level of quality I'm interested in.

To be clear: Photos of insects and small flowers are beautiful, I like seeing them and admire the work presented in this thread of these subjects, but they're not my interest to produce. I have very specific interests in the CL body as an image capture tool, which has mostly to do with its control, TTL viewing, and focusing capabilities rather than its size and general automated convenience. Most of what I want to photograph are scale models (1:43 scale automobiles, 1:24 scale motorcycles), Instax and Polaroid SX-70 prints, 6x6 cm negatives, Minox negatives, etc—all subjects in the traditional 1:4 to 3:1 macro photography magnification range.   :D

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 3

CL+Laowa 60/2.8 macro

• Like 13

apo elmarit 60/2.8 asph -f3.5

• Like 12

Each year a few Green Hellebores come up in my garden.  This year has been very warm and dry for weeks and colonies of small ants living under the paving blocks have been very active. One Hellebore became infested with dark aphids and today ants were milking them for their honeydew by climbing over them.  Here are three images taken with an 18-56 lens, at 56mm with +2 and +1 dioptre lenses in tandem on the front. Hand held, manual focus.  Iso 200.  No 1 is full frame, No 2 cropped to 4500 x 300 px, No 3 cropped to 2400 x 1600px before reducing in size for website.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm spending whatever time I have off at home these days, with my convalescing wife.  So I'm poking around the house looking for things to shoot.

While I lack any religious affiliation, but my wife does have a small alter at home.

CL with 60mm Macro TL.  The flower at at f5.6 and f22.  The tea-light at f8.  The little bowl at the base of the flower is the diameter or a tea-light.

- Vikas

• Like 3

I've put a bellows on with a 65mm Elmar-V, and I've used a 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R.

First is the CL with the bellows. Clumsy arrangement, but cute.

Here's a shot from that.

The next is with the Elmarit-R, using the Novoflex adapter. A lot easier to handle.

• Like 1

Just spotted this headline:

Leica Unveils the Elpro 52 for Shooting Macro with Existing M/TL Lenses

https://petapixel.com/2018/08/10/leica-unveils-the-elpro-52-for-shooting-macro-with-existing-m-tl-lenses/

Your thoughts?

Does this add-on help to produce macros or close-ups??

I see that "Leica Elpro 52" is a thread on this website under "Leica M Lenses"

According to the download via this link the only TL lenses whereon the Elpro 52 is at home are the 23 and 18–56... Perhaps I misunderstand.

http://uk.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=&subcategory=151348&type=&language=all

Edited by Learner

• jaapv pinned this topic