CL and TL- the MACRO Image Thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many photographers have been brainwashed into assuming that macro images require macro lenses … nothing could be further from the truth … but the belief is too firmly implanted in their minds … never to be erased. 

dunk

1 hour ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Many photographers have been brainwashed into assuming that macro images require macro lenses … nothing could be further from the truth … but the belief is too firmly implanted in their minds … never to be erased. 

dunk

I have done a lot of macro work over 35 years as a medical photographer. I most cases a 1:1 comparison comes out in favor of the macro lens. Doesn't mean that everything is better with a macro. But if I was photographing eye surgery, hand held, a 200mm macro Nikkor was my choice because I needed hand held, a good working distance for a certain magnification. Was anything better well the surgical microscope, but the MD had to have the oculars adjusted precisely and in the end it wouldn't give a full frame image. I did a book for a doctor about surgical instruments where they wanted the 1mm tip of the instrument visible with the whole instrument. I couldn't do it on 35mm, so I used a 4x5, I tried a normal 150mm and the results were mediocre, switched to a 120 macro lens and the results were of the charts, why because I was using the lens for what it was designed for. That was the sexy interesting stuff. What I did a lot of images from books for slide (remember those?) lectures. The 50 macro lens was the choice because it gave a flat field so corners were as sharp as the center of the image. I also worked with several medical artists liked my results better than other photographers. Of course scanners have taken that work away but I still use macro lenses. Often if you can get the magnification you need with out a macro and only need a center image do it.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^^ Yes, a 200mm macro lens enables a better working distance than e.g. a 50mm macro lens and 'flat field' is an important consideration … but so is $$cost … and it's possible to achieve excellent macro images without spending a fortune. The foremost close-up photography forum is the Photomacrography Forum managed by Rik Littlefield who designed and developed Zerene Stacker, acknowledged as being the best stacking software. Fact is, most of the the Photomacrography Forum's enthusiasts do not use marque macro lenses (with the exception of the Canon MP-E 65/2.8) … because they obtain better results from low magnification, and relatively low cost, infinity microscope lenses … used with simple 'tube lenses'. Photomacrography has developed by leaps and bounds during the last 15 years and the preferred 'cost effective' methodology for studio macro imaging does not often include marque macro lenses. However, if Leica macro enthusiasts want to spend c. $3000 on a Leica macro lens, they'll likely enjoy using it … but they could save a small fortune and achieve excellent results by researching other c/u solutions and spending a lot less. I need to photograph insects at up to 1:1 and 'in the field' … where a 60mm lens would not permit an adequate working distance. I do not want to spend a fortune … and thus use cost effective solutions e.g.    https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/299455-female-emperor-dragonfly-ovipositing/   … 1:3 magnification at 4m subject distance … and I can use this £$budget solution with my Leica T. 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
typo
  • Thanks 1

It is interesting, right now the 2 macros I am using is a 40mm Makro Kilar totally manual and a 90-180 Vivitar flat field macro both from my Canon F-1 days. My latest close up was taking part of your play book with using a 2x extender on a Canon 200mm. I do have a Nikon 55mm with auto focus, but I am not sure if you are working in 1:3 to 1:1 magnification if auto focus helps. When using a macro for general photography then the autofocus kick in, but you are right why get a macro for general photography, but in the Leica world a off the top of my head 50mm f1.4 is more expensive than the 60 macro. 

Tom

Yes … using AF for 1:1 imaging (or for 1:2) is not as accurate as using manual focus … so might as well use a proven manual focus lens e.g. the Leica R 60mm Macro Elmarit costing c. $500  secondhand. Another factor to take into account is that modern marque AF macro lenses have to be corrected for both close focus and infinity focus … which is difficult to achieve. Older 'pure macro' lenses e.g. the Photars and Luminars were designed for close focus imaging only … and are usually more highly corrected for photomacrography than the the modern dual purpose macro optics. But nowadays even Luminars and Photars are out-performed by e.g. Nikon infinity focus microscope lenses used with simple tube lenses. Raynox c/u lenses can be used as tube lenses with infinity microscope lenses. 

dunk 

• Like 1

TL-60/2.8 macro

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

Advertisement (gone after registration)

CL+18-56mm

Painted Lady

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Vivitar 90 f/2.5 Series 1

Edited by bags27
  • Like 10

The Vivitar Series 1 macro, a highly praised lens, can be had for a song on ebay. This is my old Nikon mount one, and I wanted to see just how sharp it rendered, so I cropped the above, which was already substantially cropped. I didn't use the 1:1 adaptor, but rather shot it 1:2. The only draw back to this fine lens is that it is quite heavy. But it does also have lovely bokeh.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 5

Just now, dkCambridgeshire said:

^^^ Vivitar 90/2.5 is superb manual focus macro lens wth an excellent reputation … likely made by Komine and same design as used in the Tokina 90/2.5.

dunk

Thanks, dunk. Yes, I think it's the same optics, but the Tokina I believe is lighter--certainly a virtue!

same kit

• Like 6

same kit; different dragon critter 😀

Edited by bags27
  • Like 6

On 8/7/2019 at 3:00 PM, dkCambridgeshire said:

^^^ Vivitar 90/2.5 is superb manual focus macro lens wth an excellent reputation … likely made by Komine and same design as used in the Tokina 90/2.5.

dunk

It is possible it was a Perkins Elmar design, the 90 - 180 was, they all came out at the same time when Vivitar was trying to compete with top quality lenses, think it lasted about 2 years. Famous telescope lens manufacturers never had done camera lenses, did a good job.

T

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

It is possible it was a Perkins Elmar design, the 90 - 180 was, they all came out at the same time when Vivitar was trying to compete with top quality lenses, think it lasted about 2 years. Famous telescope lens manufacturers never had done camera lenses, did a good job.

T

I have long lusted after the fantastic R100 f/2.8 AP0-Macro-Elmarit. But I already own the Vivitar, and on ebay, the difference between the lenses is nearly 10x, and yet the difference in image quality is far, far smaller. This is among the very best "non-cult" macro lenses.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 5

With the same kit, more dragons (sorry), but this time from a local lake, where they were very skittish and where I had to keep my distance. Followed by one of Queen Anne's Lace about to bloom on the banks of the lake.

• Like 2

• jaapv pinned this topic