CL and TL- the MACRO Image Thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just spotted this headline:

Leica Unveils the Elpro 52 for Shooting Macro with Existing M/TL Lenses

https://petapixel.com/2018/08/10/leica-unveils-the-elpro-52-for-shooting-macro-with-existing-m-tl-lenses/

Your thoughts?

Does this add-on help to produce macros or close-ups??

Is this piece of news worthy of its own thread on the forum?

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/287391-leica-elpro-e52-close-up-lens/

dunk 

my only thought is how good value my marumi's are at 1/3 the price .......  :rolleyes:

Maybe we should not assume that Leica Camera AG manufacture the Elpro 52 and adapter rings … would make sense to farm out production elsewhere … and if so, could be made in China  :wub:  ... which might upset a few M diehards  ;)

dunk 

I could have sworn I'd posted this here yesterday. Hmmph. 

I'm very pleased with these snaps from 1997 and my Minox B using APX25 film. They're scanned at ~1.75:1 resolution with a Leica CL + Focusing Bellows-R + Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm lens. 

The folks are two of my motobuddies, still good friends today after all these years. 

43005276304_ac3e21c269_o.jpg

Jack - Mount Hamilton 1997

41912433190_97b5a9a90d_o.jpg

Joanne - Mount Hamilton 1997

The Leica CL + macro setup turns out to be more suitable for this kind of macro work than the SL. It takes less optical magnification to fill the frame with a small subject, meaning less chance of resolution destroying vibration, and you get the same nice 24 Mpixel image file out of it. Since you don't have to run much higher than ISO 400 at max, the dynamic range and tonal gradations are excellent. 

I fitted a Kaiser mechanical cable release adapter to the CL to assist with releasing the shutter without any vibration. It's basically a simple band with a velcro fixing strip that circles the body and puts a plunger over the shutter release. Any standard mechanical cable release screws into it, same as the one I use for my M-D, and allows a completely vibrationless way of releasing the shutter without having to use the Leica CL app (which gets in the way for other reasons). Since once my setup is in place, I don't have to change focus or exposure settings at all, I can just bang away at making exposures of negatives one after the other this way. 

enjoy!
G
Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

A clockwork of a pocket watch and different macros. The point is not the

qualtity of pictures - I could have done more in this respect - but only a

comparison ofdifferent equipment.

#1 CL and 18-56 nothing else

#2 CL and 18-56 plus Marumi 5 diop

#3 CL and SL 24-90 plus Marumi 5 diop

#4 CL and SL 90 - 280 plus Marumi 5 diop

#5 just to compare - SL and Canon Macro 100 mm - I expect that the results with the CL and the TL Macro would be very similiar - magnification factor would be

1:1 in both cases.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by HeinzX
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Saved on my IPhone. I’m in the woods away from my computer but I have had some success zooming in and getting as close as possible.

• Like 2

Just spotted this headline:

Leica Unveils the Elpro 52 for Shooting Macro with Existing M/TL Lenses

https://petapixel.com/2018/08/10/leica-unveils-the-elpro-52-for-shooting-macro-with-existing-m-tl-lenses/

Your thoughts?

Does this add-on help to produce macros or close-ups??

I see that "Leica Elpro 52" is a thread on this website under "Leica M Lenses"

According to the download via this link the only TL lenses whereon the Elpro 52 is at home are the 23 and 18–56... Perhaps I misunderstand.

http://uk.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=&subcategory=151348&type=&language=all

wast money,,,,nikon 3T 4T best Edited by leonasj

Waste of money? I own one lens the 18-56 CL kit lens. Will your Nikon 3T or 4T work better for me. How do the Nikon’s adapt to the 18-56. Any sage advice will be appreciated. So far I have simply pre-ordered the Elpro 52. Thank you.

Waste of money? I own one lens the 18-56 CL kit lens. Will your Nikon 3T or 4T work better for me. How do the Nikon’s adapt to the 18-56. Any sage advice will be appreciated. So far I have simply pre-ordered the Elpro 52. Thank you.

The Nikon 3T (1.5 diopters) and 4T (2.9 diopters) are 52mm thread achromats so should screw straight onto the TL 18-56 … but there are many other supplementary achromats (i.e. 2 element or 3 element) which will also fit or could be adapted to fit via stepping rings.

http://fuzzcraft.com/achromats.html

Potential supp. c/u lens users should consider studying Günter Osterloh's excellent book 'Applied Leica Technique'   which covers just about everything anyone needs to know about 'Near Range' photography (page 163 onwards) using R lenses and Leitz achromatic Elpro c/u lenses. Suffice to mention the older Leitz Elpros are well worth investigating and using and can be purchased at very reasonable cost compared to e.g. the E52 . All makes and all diopter strength supplementary achromats will work with all prime and zoom lenses. It's not essential to e.g. match a Leica lens with a Leica achromatic c/u lens.  Several Leica Forum members use e.g. Marumi and Raynox supp. c/u lenses with both Leica TL/CL and SL lenses … and with good results. Unlikely that any particular supp. c/u lens will prove to be better than another for the given diopter strength when used with any one prime lens or zoom lens.  

The E52 is a super c/u lens … but for a lot less $£€expenditure there are other comparable c/u lenses e.g. the 8 diopter Raynox 250 … if anyone requires a c/u lens with this strength . All the lesser diopter strength c/u lenses in the above 'fuzzcraft' matrix would probably prove more useful for general c/u photography … especially the older Leitz Elpro lenses 

dunk  

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2

dk & Dunk

Just what the forum is for: to educate amateurs like me. What I really want is the best possible macro solution not close up. Best lens, probably used.

There is a TL 60mm AF Macro lens and it's a very fine lens . But there are also many 'legacy' manual focus macro lenses available to suit all $budgets which provided people can manage to focus manually, will give just as good results. For starters look at the Leitz/Leica R 60/2.8 Macro and the Leitz/Leica 100/4 Macro Elmar R … both manual focus … both excellent lenses … and both reasonably priced.  They need adapters to fit the CL.  'Macro' and 'close-up' can both be considered to mean 'the same' for most 'near range' photography … forget the often documented 'rule' that macro only covers 1:1 and greater than life size imaging … that's rather too pedantic and does not take into account that nearly all marque macro lenses focus to half life size (1:2 i.e. 0.5 magnification) rather than life size. 

However, there is a lot more to 'macro' than just using a macro lens or supplementary c/u lens. 'Near range' photography also requires adequate subject and/or camera support and good lighting; it's a big subject. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Dear Dunk,

Thanx Much. I will be taking your advice. I’m assuming that the M to L adapter will handle the cameras you mentioned. Please critique my only macro photo which appears in the macro section.....it was hand held using the 18-56.

Dear Dunk,

Thanx Much. I will be taking your advice. I’m assuming that the M to L adapter will handle the cameras you mentioned. Please critique my only macro photo which appears in the macro section.....it was hand held using the 18-56.

Albert your Red Admiral butterfly photo is fine … good dynamic composition. The Leitz /Leica R 100mm and 60mm macro lenses would need an R to SL adapter (a non-smart Novoflex R to SL adapter would suffice) , or, R to M adapter plus M Adapter T/SL (latter is same as M to L adapter)   

dunk 

and after the rain....

CL+TL macro 60/2.8 + SF60 (-1.3)

• Like 9

CL + 23 + ELPRO 52

ISO100 1/250 F2.0 

• Like 9

Need some help please: during my fifteen years on this forum I have posted a few hundred “macro” photographs. I did this wit the D-1, Digilux 2, ten assorted Pan-Leicas, and one on this thread with my new CL. All of these were created by zooming in a bit with my Apple iMAC.

Now that I have a very fine camera, CL kit 18-56, I wonder why I should change my ways. I might be able to afford the new 52 adapter but not a new lens.

It seems that my “macros” are fake news because of the processing. What’s the word??

• jaapv pinned this topic