CL and TL- the MACRO Image Thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got the 60 macro lens.  Traded in a bunch of gear. Easy to use, good fun. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

On 6/29/2021 at 4:31 PM, RobM said:

Well, the lens arrived, and I spent some time getting familiar with both the camera and the lens. By comparison with my other camera, the Q2Monochrom, this setup is far more complicated. The lack of image stabilisation really got to me at first, and once I'd chosen a faster shutter speed, somehow found it hard to get exposure right. I dare say I'll get to grips with it all soon enough. I spent most of my time either in complete Manual mode, or Auto. P, A and S modes caused me more bother than I cared for in the little time I had available. I was beginning to regret not getting a used Q instead.

So I went for a quick walk and bagged a few shots. Not my usual style of photography, rather just handheld test shots. 

Beautiful shots! The trick with the CL is to have a consistent designation for functions. For me the left button toggles between PASM. The left wheel controls either Apertures or Shutter Speed, depending on program. The right wheel is exclusively for Exposure Compensation, in conjunction with the histogram in the EVF. Over time I have also set up different profiles for different needs.  It you can do that later.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 10:31 PM, RobM said:

Well, the lens arrived, and I spent some time getting familiar with both the camera and the lens. By comparison with my other camera, the Q2Monochrom, this setup is far more complicated. The lack of image stabilisation really got to me at first, and once I'd chosen a faster shutter speed, somehow found it hard to get exposure right. I dare say I'll get to grips with it all soon enough. I spent most of my time either in complete Manual mode, or Auto. P, A and S modes caused me more bother than I cared for in the little time I had available. I was beginning to regret not getting a used Q instead.

So I went for a quick walk and bagged a few shots. Not my usual style of photography, rather just handheld test shots. 

Nice images!  Are these all with the 105 Macro from Sigma?  If it's anything like the 70 you haven't chosen the easiest lens to get accustomed to the CL with though no doubt you will get some lovely shots, enjoy, looking forward to seeing more.

Yes, Jayne, they are. And they are all slightly out of focus. After an intense week of trying to get to a position where I could forget the camera and just shoot, I failed to do so, got fed up with both the camera and the lens, and returned both. That's the end of my CL sojourn. I've now put the money towards a used Q2, which should be with me in a few days's time. My main squeeze is the Q2 Monochrom, so I'm looking forward to fairly quickly becoming "at one" with that.  

• Like 1

60 macro

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pink poppy

CL 105 Micro Nikkor 1:3

• Like 7

Cleome Petals After a Rain

CL 105 micro Nikkor

• Like 5

A small 3-4cm mushroom in my yard. Went to show it to my wife and something (probably a chipmunk) had eated it.

CL 105 micro Nikkor

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 9:18 AM, RobM said:

Yes, Jayne, they are. And they are all slightly out of focus. After an intense week of trying to get to a position where I could forget the camera and just shoot, I failed to do so, got fed up with both the camera and the lens, and returned both. That's the end of my CL sojourn. I've now put the money towards a used Q2, which should be with me in a few days's time. My main squeeze is the Q2 Monochrom, so I'm looking forward to fairly quickly becoming "at one" with that.  

Sorry so late replying to you Rob...completely missed this.

It's a shame you started with the 105 Macro lens on the CL, not an easy one or one that would give you a real feel for the camera.  I've had the CL since launch, along the way other bodies have come and gone and I do use an M and an SL2 alongside it.  I think had you tried the CL with an adapted M lens and stuck to manual focus, or one of the TL lens you might have had a different experience.  No doubt you will enjoy the Q2 though and know instantly what you are doing with it.  No bad camera's these days, just a matter of finding the one that fits your needs best😀.  

• Like 2

Red Zinnia

CL 65 Elmar, adapted to CL with one or two OTRPO extension tubes. Two for this one.

• Like 2

I have been neglecting my CL after switching to a Canon R6 as main camera. Nevertheless - while the new kid on the block is always most interesting and takes all your time - I was interested how the CL performed with the TL 60 mm f/2.8, my TL favourite,  compared to what I had retrieved from the other equipement. To be truthful - the AF was a mess, but the results - those that were successful - were surprising. Please click for full resolution.

• Like 17

CL, TL 60 mm f/2.8. Please click for full resolution.

Edited by EUSe
  • Like 18

TL2 + 18-56+Raynox

• Like 2

CL, 60 mm f/2.0 Apo-Macro-Elmarit TL. Please click for full resolution.

• Like 9

A windy afternoon.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Photar 50mm @ about 2:1

• Like 1