90 to 280 in Antactic

wooferdog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi , we are going to the Antarctic in December , much of the photography will be from the ship , as well as on shore visits. I’m thinking of buying the big zoom for the SL. I tried it in the Leica shop , very nice. BUT my question: Is it long enough , I have heard that you need a 300 to 400. Thanks for any help.

Hi wooferdog, buy the 90-280 and the Leica CL body. You will then be set. A wonderful combo that gives you a better reach of 420mm. SL with that zoom has this advantage of being totally weather sealed, and CL isn’t, so you’ll need to be just a little bit more careful with the environment.

• Like 2

Hi , we are going to the Antarctic in December , much of the photography will be from the ship , as well as on shore visits. I’m thinking of buying the big zoom for the SL. I tried it in the Leica shop , very nice. BUT my question: Is it long enough , I have heard that you need a 300 to 400. Thanks for any help.

Or buy a 105-280 R with 1.4x and 2x APO extenders. No AF, but you do not really need that for subjects near infinity.

That is true.

However, in this case one will probably not be shooting hand-held and from a ship you will always be fighting engine vibrations, which makes shooting from a tripod a challenge, and OIS (even if it were functional) should be switched off in that case. 

I would recommend using a solid bean bag. That stabilizes whilst damping vibration. 

BTW, that Nikon lens is a very attractive budget alternative, especially used on a Nikon DX body. I would not be without OIS in that case.  ;)

• Like 1

Hi wooferdog, buy the 90-280 and the Leica CL body. You will then be set. A wonderful combo that gives you a better reach of 420mm. SL with that zoom has this advantage of being totally weather sealed, and CL isn’t, so you’ll need to be just a little bit more careful with the environment.

I'd agree ..... with a 'once in a lifetime' trip such as that you really need a second back-up body in case things of mechanical failure/accidents.

The CL acts as a 1.5x extender, a handy second lightweight carry anywhere camera, a back-up body, fully utilises the OIS of the SL zooms and is a low weight/bulk solution. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am going to Antarctica later this year and plan to take my leice SL kit, 2 bodies, 90-280, 24-70, 16-35. Everything I have read leads me to believe it’s the perfect kit. Every outfitter website I’ve read says you won’t need over 300mm. Take it, have fun!

Or one can crop in PP for same narrow FOV, while retaining OIS and weather sealing.

Jeff

I am going to Antarctica later this year and plan to take my leice SL kit, 2 bodies, 90-280, 24-70, 16-35. Everything I have read leads me to believe it’s the perfect kit. Every outfitter website I’ve read says you won’t need over 300mm. Take it, have fun!

In this forum, you'll very soon realise many forumers live in the legacy of non AF leica lenses, Nikon / Canon telephoto lenses and the HB X1D MF camera.

Despite the outstanding performance of the SL native lenses, continue bashing them of excessive weight and bulk are also favourate passtime of many.

Ultimately, you know what you want. Decision is yours. Have fun.

• Like 1

OIS works on the CL and it has 24MP on the cropped sensor. It is a great teleconverter on the 90-280.

Yes, but weather sealing in the Antarctic might also be important. Trade offs. (BTW, I think Leica likes these and other trade offs... encouraging multiple system purchases.)

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

I went to Antarctica last November on a ski mountaineering trip. At that time I did not yet have the SL system.  I took two Canon bodies, a Canon 16-35mm f/2.8, Canon 24-105 f/4, Canon 70-200mm f/4 and Canon 1.4X Extender (giving me a 280 mm with the 70-200 zoom).  After the Antarctica portion of the trip I backpacked for two weeks in Patagonia. I was happy with the lens selection I took on the trip.  There were just a few times when a lens longer than 280mm would have been helpful (orca whales, bird photos, etc.) but, if I had it to do over again I would take the same lens selection. Most of the wildlife in Antarctica is very tolerant of humans, and relatively approachable.  Shooting from onboard ship I never used the carbon fibre tripod I brought; due mainly to engine vibrations and ship movement.  Much better to hand hold and use image stabilization.  Safe sailing!  Mark W.

• Like 3

Thank you for all the comments and advice. I would rather crop in Lightroom rather than with a cropped sensor, but it was a good idea. I’ll take the tripod but don’t plan to use it unless really needed.

So it looks like the SL zoom (90/280) and a selection of M & R lens , back up will be the Sony R73.

Thanks again

I'd be looking at 50mm or 35mm. Or 21m perhaps an occasional 90mm type shot.

It's not about looking at the teeth of the Leopard Seal. More about the the open, unadalterated grandeur, and the people on the ship...all great fun. Close ups onshore don't need tele lenses. Close up of a whales tail are a bit ho-hum...context is what we need...and weather sealing is unimportant. Forget a tripod, it's pictures on-the-go.

I enjoyed loved my trip to Antarctica, and along the Chilean fjords, to Santiago (2002)..all truly incredible...and just one of my life memorables, by myself.

...make it easy for yourself, and don't get too wrapped up in Leica photography...a snapper works well too.

Edited by david strachan

Thank you for all the comments and advice. I would rather crop in Lightroom rather than with a cropped sensor, but it was a good idea. I’ll take the tripod but don’t plan to use it unless really needed.

So it looks like the SL zoom (90/280) and a selection of M & R lens , back up will be the Sony R73.

Thanks again

A cropped sensor (CL) provides higher resolution than cropping in Lightroom. Why would Lightroom be preferable?

• Like 2

Today I took a bird shot with the Sony A7R3 + 135M ... cropped at least 50% in Lightroom .... looks fine. However if there is a noticeable quality difference with the CL , I will have a look at it.

The A7RIII and CL both have substantially more pixel density than the SL. With the SL in APS-C mode you will have around a 10MP image and little latitude for further cropping. With the CL you have a 24MP image and can still crop further. I have used both extensively and the CL delivers better images in situations where you need more reach.

Additionally, if disaster strikes and your SL has a fault, the CL will work as a backup for all your lenses. I think it is brave going all the way to Antarctica with one body only, or a backup that isn’t compatible with all your glass. The CL is also small and light so is perfect for teleconverter/backup duty. It’s also great to have a telephoto on one body and a wide on another at times. It’s easy to carry both cameras and you’ll not miss shots changing lens.

Finally, in terms of a full Leica setup the CL is dirt cheap at US$2,795.

Unless the Sony can use the SL glass I think the CL is a better 2nd body to complement and backup the SL.

Edited by Alistairm
  • Like 2