R System CLA

Leitzfan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone recommend a reputable & competent shop who performs cleaning, lubrication, adjustment (CLA) for Leica R lenses, cameras & DMR?  I've an R9+DMR & several R lenses in need of basic CLA.

Last month, Leica, Allendale, NJ told me that they, "No longer service the R system; & that Leica Germany doesn't either..."  I'm greatly disappointed to hear this.  Seems that Leica ought to @ least offer basic CLA on this venerable system.

Didn't seem like the Leica Technical Manager there (Allendale, NJ) even knew Leica's product history, as he stated that, "Leica discontinued the R series 15 yrs. ago," when, in fact, Leica discontinued the R in March 2010 (8 yrs. ago).  Pointless to argue w/ him though...  Just disappointed.

I stopped using Leica for SLR service back in the 1970s when they returned my Leicaflex SL in worse shape than when I sent it. Since then I’ve used DAG, Sherry Krauter, and Gus Lazzari for servicing R bodies and lenses. All have done good work, with an occasional minor glitch.

However, I doubt if they work on the DMR, and I don’t know about the R9, as I’ve only sent them older models. Parts can be an issue, as Leica is about out, so it depends on the inventory these shops have.

I think Sherry make work more on R equipment, but I usually find DAG more responsive. Gus tends to have long backlogs, but can do excellent restorations.

• Like 1

I stopped using Leica for SLR service back in the 1970s when they returned my Leicaflex SL in worse shape than when I sent it. Since then I’ve used DAG, Sherry Krauter, and Gus Lazzari for servicing R bodies and lenses. All have done good work, with an occasional minor glitch.

However, I doubt if they work on the DMR, and I don’t know about the R9, as I’ve only sent them older models. Parts can be an issue, as Leica is about out, so it depends on the inventory these shops have.

I think Sherry make work more on R equipment, but I usually find DAG more responsive. Gus tends to have long backlogs, but can do excellent restorations.

My DMR only needs its sensor cleaned (it, unfortunately, doesn't have an auto-cleaning feature) & I'm afraid to botch the job myself.  Thanks for the excellent leads!

Edited by Leitzfan

Top class jobs and reasonable prices on both by the way

That's what I would've expected.  Unsure why Leica, NJ was so ready to decline service...bizarre.  My next step is to escalate to Leica, Germany w/ a complaint about Leica NJ.  Completely unsatisfactory customer service (to decline simple CLA on R outright--stating some misinformed non-truth, about "Leica discontinuing 15 yrs. ago...etc.").

Top class jobs and reasonable prices on both by the way

BTW, Leica Store, Miami, FL, last month, said, "Leica, Germany won't even touch the R system anymore."  More ridiculous nonsense--from "Leica representatives."

Don’t know the name of the tecnician(s). I just got a UPS post label from Leica UK, packed them up, sent them to Wetzlar. Approved the estimate and got them back a few weeks later. I would guess that the best person to contact would be Andrea Frankl, she’s always been very helpful.

The only thing I would say is that my lenses are quite recent R lenses. It may be worth checking with older models.

As far as I know, Leica services all lenses as long as they have spare parts for them. So no limits for simple CLAs.

Strange that I should receive this message from Leica USA then:

Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2018 5:05 AM

To: Me

Subject: RE: Status Leica repair 10065976 / +ELMAR-R F/4/180 MM

Hello Sir,

The products are being returned to you unaltered. The R cameras, and lenses have been discontinued for over 15 years now and parts are no longer available. Germany also no longer provides service for the R series products.  They are on their way back to you.

Best regards,

Bill                                                                                                                                

William M Weier

Technical Service Mgr.                  

Leica Camera USA                                 

1 Pearl court Unit A

Allendale N.J. 07401

(201) 995-0051 Ext. 9947

bill.weier@leicacamerausa.com

Edited by Leitzfan

You need to speak to Wetzlar.

It certainly sounds that way.  I'm already composing my e-mail of complaint to Wetzlar (to include a copy of the earlier reply from Leica USA).  I'm awaiting a final reply of assistance from my "go-to" guy @ Leica Store, L.A., before I hit 'send'.

Between Leica USA (Allendale, NJ) & Leica Store Miami, there seems to be a lot of buffoonery going on re. the R system.  Quite peeved.  I shouldn't have to go through this hassle...

Edited by Leitzfan

My DMR only needs its sensor cleaned (it, unfortunately, doesn't have an auto-cleaning feature) & I'm afraid to botch the job myself.  Thanks for the excellent leads!

If you're only looking for your sensor to be cleaned then any reputable camera serviceman will be able to do it for you, particularly on the DMR because full access to its sensor will be available when you separate your DMR from your R9.  It is a job you could very easily do yourself and there are YouTube videos demonstrating how.

If the CLA on the R9 is merely for good measure then I'd suggest not doing it until the R9 actually needs attention.  In my experience R9's rarely go wrong unless they're dropped or abused.

Pete.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 6/2/2018 at 8:28 PM, Leitzfan said:

BTW, Leica Store, Miami, FL, last month, said, "Leica, Germany won't even touch the R system anymore."  More ridiculous nonsense--from "Leica representatives."

Leica Wetzlar can still CLA the R lenses including the Zooms. But they do not have spare parts to fix the lenses. Therefore, If there is anything unexpected happens to the lens during the CLA, that will be at your own risk as they told me. I think it is reasonable. 

• Like 1