Focus peaking with non-Leica adapter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All,

Is there any way to get focus peaking enabled when using a non-Leica adapter? I have a generic R to TL adapter. I can't engage the focus peaking. Setting the lens profile to the correct R-lens and focus to manual, the camera is set to "M" and the right wheel is still supposedly changing the aperture of my R lens-

Thanks,

Carl

No. You must use the Leica TL-M adapter and then stack the appropriate  generic lens adapter to get peaking, and magnification by the thumbwheel. Or the Leica TL-R adapter, which is ridiculously expensive.

Have you tried to use the lens + adapter without going through the lens profiling?

I am using a third party lenses (Nikkor) with an adapter that has no electrical connection to the camera and without lens profiling since Nikkor lenses are not listed; and, I can have magnification and focus peaking without any problem. But there is a turn around for magnification. Instead of using the top wheel, you have to use the arrows next to screen. After a while, you get used to it and it works perfectly well.

• Like 2

Yes, that is correct, one can always activate magnification by the arrow buttons. Personally I find that a slow and roundabout way. YMMV.

I can imagine somebody like Louis being happy with the workaround. His images, which I enjoy very much are mostly static. (disclosure: mine are usually as well :( )

Thanks Japp and Louis, The Arrow keys were an unknown hack to me. I have the Leica M-TL and the Leica R-M adapters, but As I'm taking both the CL and SL to an airshow tomorrow I'll me using theM-TL adapter on the SL with the 135 APO and testing out the 180/4 R on the CL. Focus does not really matter that much at I'll zone focus the action shots, but for static displays it will be good to have the up-arrow trick.

Thanks again,

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t have a CL near me to try, but it is not clear to me why activating the magnification by the arrow keys is more cumbersome than the right thumb wheel. In either case, it is one flick or one push by your thumb, no?

Hi,

I have a generic M-TL adapter (Pixco) on my CL and I can use Focus Peaking. I enabled it from the right thumbwheel (clicked the button, a menu came up, then chose focus peaking). For magnification, I use the down arrow button on the back.

S

• 5 months later...
On 6/1/2018 at 9:18 PM, cbretteville said:

All,

Is there any way to get focus peaking enabled when using a non-Leica adapter? I have a generic R to TL adapter. I can't engage the focus peaking. Setting the lens profile to the correct R-lens and focus to manual, the camera is set to "M" and the right wheel is still supposedly changing the aperture of my R lens-

Thanks,

Carl

Hi!

Is there any update on this after Firmware 1.4? Is it possible to get the focus peaking work with a non-Leica adapter after this? ehecatl wrote that it is possible on a CL, and I was wondering if it is also possible on a TL2?

• jaapv changed the title to Focus peaking with non-Leica adapter
  • 2 weeks later...

I noticed focus peaking on my TL2 with 35mm 1.4 Summilux attached . What struck me was the enormous depth of field lit up with red halos at f1.4 . The mark 2 eyeball with focus magnification is a vastly more effective device it would appear . I paid for a high priced Leica  L to R adapter , being unfortunately a bit of a perfectionist, then I noticed Ffordes Photographic are selling them a lot cheaper , drat ! Of course the TL2 has simple magnification with my aged R lenses (post 1976) utilising the top left wheel , the top right for aperture, very handy. It would appear the focus peaking is either too faint with R lenses, or doesn’t work due to insufficient contrast.

Yes, focus peaking is  either quite imprecise or (nearly) invisible, as it detects contrast, which varies with lens, subject and light.  If you are unlucky you will either see nothing (a Leica complaint, but at least, if it works it works decently) or get a complete redout, with even image noise lighting up bright red (Sony, but it will always peak obviously, albeit from front to back). 

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Fotodiox Nikon adapter mostly for my 11-17 f2.8 Tokina, a terrific lens on the Nikon. I am getting focus peaking when using the lens on the CL, but have only done a handful of pictures with it. I also find it relatively easy to focus my 35 Summilux (1st model) and my 90 Elmarit, mostly using focus peaking but also getting more coordinated using the viewfinder magnification. Photo is at 16mm of my back yard, neighbors huge maple tree

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!