Did the 75 APO suddenly get “popular”?

trickness

I bought this "used like new" aka grey market right when it was released. Since then it has worked superbly at all distances and apertures for over ten years. I have the 75 summilux as well...I originally bought the summicron to try to see if and how it was better than the summilux...they are both so different and so great that I kept both. The Summilux is especially lovely on film, but great on digital too, lots of glowing highlights at 1.4-2.5, and then very sharp without being clinical from 2.5 to 16. The Summicron is nearly identical from f2 to f16 other than depth of field. It is a great lens for when you want zero "signature"...just a faithful rendering of the subject. I tend to prefer the summicron with digital bodies since it is sharper and more consistent, but also because it has very little in the way of bokeh fringing...something which drives me nuts. (when the bokeh is greenish behind the subject and reddish in front...happens with a lot of fast lenses)

P.S. As a strange aside, I have found that the summilux performs significantly better across the field on the Sony A7Rii than the 75mm summicron. Though the Summicron is the sharper lens on a Leica, oddly enough the Summilux is better on the Sony. I think it must be a function of the floating element, or perhaps the summilux is more retrofocal somehow? 

Edited by Stuart Richardson

• 3 weeks later...

BTW, I just seen that a few of Leica M glasses in BHphoto page have back-ordered status and expected availability described as: "Not available".

Noctilux 50 black&silver: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586190-REG/Leica_11_602_50mm_f_0_95_Noctilux_M_Aspherical.html

APO 90:https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/162726-USA/Leica_11884_90mm_f_2_0_APO_Summicron.html

Maybe new versions are on the way? (especially modified APO 90 FLE or rumored Summilux 90/1.5?)...

Possibly - but as mentioned over and over on these forums, Leica produces lenses in batches. Because it is more efficient to set up the metal-milling and glass-polishing machines to run off 2000 90mm f/2s in one month, and then reset the same machinery (and work staff) to produce 4000 (more popular) 50 or 35 Summicrons, and then use the same machinery again for 2000 21 Super-Elmars, etc. etc. etc. Than to be producing every lens in the range every day of the year, one or two at a time, and needing 26 times as many machines and people, all in limited use at once.

Based on their experience, Leica makes fairly good estimates that, for example, a batch or supply of 2000 90mm ASMAs will take 24 months to sell out, so they schedule a new batch of 90s every 24 months. But sometimes the market demand is higher than expected, and they run out after 21 months. And since the machines are tightly scheduled and busy making something else until the 24 months are up, we (and B&H) just have to wait until the next scheduled batch of 90 ASMAs is made.

The problem tends to pop up (recently) every time Leica introduces a new M camera that attracts new users (who also want new lenses for their cameras, thus spiking lens demand) - there were also shortages of some lenses (I can't remember which right now) after the M9 was introduced. Especially with normally lower-sales-volume lenses, which would include the 90 ASMA and Nocti.

Edited by adan
  • Like 1

Thx for the tip on Miami! (Update: just checked their website and they have one that’s a little rough for 2800! Ouch.) Really hoping I can find one at a reasonable price.

It’s funny but the reviews I’ve read online of the 75 Nocti seem kind of mixed. Which I guess is similar to reviews of the 50 Noctilux. It’s obviously a specialty lens and it would be nice to have one but yeah the price and the weight are challenging.

On May 29, I bought a used Summicron 75 from Leica Miami for $2,295 used.  I think it is one of the newer ones, because its serial number starts with 416.  The website's ad described the lens as used, in good condition, with no signs of excess wear.  On arrival, in fact, the lens was in mint condition with NO signs of prior use.  The lens came with its Leica zippered pouch, but not with its box. 

I now shoot all lenses above 50mm with a Visoflex and I am so much happier. All shots are in focus. I’m using my 75 and 90 twice as much as I used to. Did I say ALL are in focus. I’m old school, I don’t like the like of compression that a 50mm gives on head shots. The 75mm is a great all around lens when I’m not doing street photography.