great deal on an excellent printer of photographs

bags27

Does look a decent deal Ken.

Like most printer deals, it's the ink that kills.

I am close to considering a printer, tried an Epson many years ago, and found that for the minimal printer that I did taking the files to a shop was simpler and cheaper. And adequate.

My enlarger(s) see less and less use these days, and am now considering a decent printer to print at least B&W from my files (Q & X-Vario mainly, but equally any of my film).

Gary

• Like 1

Thanks, Gary. You hit it on the head (pun!): it's always the upkeep; in this case, the ink. My "research" suggests Canons are slightly better than Epsons when it comes to ink, but that's not much of a comparison.  I figured for the price it's worth trying it.

I use the Canon PRO-100 for my best printing. Keep watching for deals, mine came bundled with a camera body for $0.01 after rebate. And it included 50 sheets of 13”c19” paper!

Paper: look for Canon to have flash paper sales twice yearly on huge amounts of fantastic paper. I’ll never run out now!

Ink: when Canon has a huge sale (rarely) I buy theirs. But normally I buy the #42 cartridges from SophiaGlobal.com via Amazon. I have had great success with their inks.

• Like 2

I've made many excellent prints with my PRO-100.  During a previous sale I actually bought another one just for the ink and the paper. I understand that the ink that comes with it is not 100% full but I made dozens of prints. 

I'm interested in trying a non-Canon ink but I've been weary...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yep. It grates me to even consider it, but it is almost seems cost effective to buy it, use it and then buy another once the ink and paper is out, quelle horror.

Gary

That's pretty much what this deal is. Getting free paper and ink with a printer for $120. The only thing that keeps me from considering it a disposal printer is that it's going up to my 3rd floor and it weighs 49 pounds! That will make me very reluctant to buy a new one every year just for the goodies.

• 3 weeks later...

The starter kit actually includes full sized ink cartridges. Canon has been doing this for a while because they know that they lock you into their inks.

The dye based Pro100 offers better and richer colors than the pigment based ones at the expense of longevity. Canon’s windows software is spectacular making 16-bit printing super easy from Lightroom and Photoshop.

Canon offers miserable connectivity to Macs.  This is from the Canon USA page for the Pro-100.  You can't connect the printer to the USB port of your Mac!

"Printer firmware update may be necessary for AirPrint function. Certain exceptions may apply. A PC running Windows XP or later or a Mac running OS 10.5.8 or later and USB cable required to perform firmware ?update. AirPrint functionality requires an iPad, iPhone 3GS or later, or iPod touch 3rd generation or later device running iOS 4.2 or later, and an AirPrint-enabled printer connected to the same network as your iOS device. A printer connected to the USB port of your Mac, PC, AirPort Base station, or Time Capsule is not supported."

I bought an iPF Pro-1000 instead of a Pixma Pro-100 mainly due to the larger paper size and print longevity.  The software with the printer is only Windows.  Neither the printer driver nor the Print Studio Pro software will install with the installer.  It took several exchanges with Canon support to get the thing to work.  I can confirm that AirPrint did not work at all.

Is Canon in the printer business or not?  Printers are not just hardware; they are also software.

Hello Zeitz...

I use my Pro100 on my Macs with absolutely no problems. Running on USB via a USB bridge.

Never tried printing via AirPrint since all images are managed by Lightroom.

I would never run this printer on a TimeCapsule ISB port — huge data streams might not work on those ports. But Mac? Perfect!

Canon documentation is weird at best. Sentenace structure guffaws lead to misinterpretation.

Interesting information concerning the Pro100 and USB.  My quote is directly from the Canon website.  I have found Canon's info to be consistently out of date, particularly in the knowledge base area.  (This is not unique to Canon.)  Perhaps Canon has made some changes to the driver.

Concerning other connectivity, I was able to get the Pro1000 to print from both AirPrint and from the USB connection to Time Capsule.  I have used USB / Time Capsule for years with Canon printers.  I bought the printer for WiFi connectivity because that is how I want the several printer users to interface with the printer.

Neither my driver nor Print Studio would install without manual intervention.  The distribution disk contained no Mac software; only Windows.  The download site offered two drivers with no guidance on which driver to use.  The issue I had was that the Printer Studio plug-in for Photoshop did not work, reporting there was no printer.  Canon Tech Support had me reinstall the driver, which did nothing to help.  And then another Tech Support attempt was to modify Printer Preferences.  One item that they requested I change cannot be changed.  I finally had to find out myself how to get Printer Preferences parameters set up correctly.   AirPrint cannot be used even though the printer will print with AirPrint from every other program than the Photoshop Plug-in, including the Photoshop Print command.  The paper profiles were messed up though, sometimes not appearing at all.

The final insult was where I had to buy the printer.  I buy locally.  I use a value-added print studio that sells such things as Eizo monitors and Canon professional printers.  The value-added dealer absolutely knows how to set up this equipment on Macs.  But Canon will not let studio sell the Pro-1000.  So I had to buy it from my local camera store; they run a great camera store but could not offer any help on installing the printer.

For reference I use a MacPro, 6 cores, 32 GB RAM, High Sierra 10.13.5, and Photoshop 19.1.5.  Print Studio Pro is 2.2.1.