Laowa 2:1 Super Macro on Leica CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know that there is the excellent APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm F2.8 ASPH available for the CL but for an occasional user of a macro lens the price tag in the region of £2000 is a bit of a stretch. I had the opportunity of trying the Laowa Super Macro which is available in various mounts and costs around £370. It is a 60mm f2.8 and due to an ingenious method of moving the internal components can achieve 2:1 magnification for macro without extension tubes or bellows and in normal use can focus to infinity on cameras using a cropped sensor like the CL. It is not made with a Leica mount but I borrowed a Pentax K version and used it with a PK-M adapter and the Leica M adapter L.

The Laowa is a manual lens with no electronic connection to the camera but this is hardly a problem for a long term Leica user. At the 2:1 setting it focuses on subjects that are only 5cm from the front of the lens so lighting can present a problem if smaller apertures are desired. The lens seems pretty sharp and the reviews have been favourable. I have been sufficiently impressed to order one.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1:1 magnification

1:2 magnification

• Like 1

I bought it 2 weeks ago with Nikon F and I use it with Novoflex LET / NIK. It's very well built (like Zeiss), a bit heavy. I have put a few photos below.

1. https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279062-leica-cl-the-image-thread/?p=3527884

(ISO 3200, f2.8, 1/125s)

2. https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279062-leica-cl-the-image-thread/?p=3526855

3. https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279062-leica-cl-the-image-thread/?p=3525600

Given that this is an M-mount lens it has been moved into the M lens forum/

It is not made with a Leica mount but I borrowed a Pentax K version and used it with a PK-M adapter and the Leica M adapter L.

Ummm, you might want to rethink the move jaapv ;)  :). I had a look at one of these lenses a few months ago and it looked impressive. An interesting idea and optically should be good as extending macro lenses are very well practised designs.

• Like 1

Given that this is an M-mount lens it has been moved into the M lens forum/

Actually it is not made with an M mount but Canon EF, Nikon F, Sony Alpha and Pentax K mount are available. With suitable adapters I think any of these could be used with an M or TL mount camera. It is designed for APS-C format cameras so there would be vignetting is if used on a FF camera like a Leica M at infinity.

Edited by ayewing
  • Like 2

I bought it 2 weeks ago with Nikon F and I use it with Novoflex LET / NIK. It's very well built (like Zeiss), a bit heavy. I have put a few photos below.

1. https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279062-leica-cl-the-image-thread/?p=3527884

(ISO 3200, f2.8, 1/125s)

2. https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279062-leica-cl-the-image-thread/?p=3526855

3. https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279062-leica-cl-the-image-thread/?p=3525600

Thanks, I had not realised that these excellent images were taken with the Loawa.  They make me pleased that I have ordered one and look forward to exploring its potential.

Edited by ayewing

• Like 6

Thanks :) My bad :( I’ll move it somewhere else then. We really need a lens forum for APS/C.

It's back where it came from...

Do we really need that?... As long as we use any lens on CL. As you know, I am mostly using old Nikkor lenses that were made for old film Nikon cameras. But I am using them on CL and T now.

• Like 2

Agree with Louis.

I'm a Q user and only a lurker here, because: 1. I admire so many of the photographs posted; 2. I am strongly considering a CL (though waiting for June 14  :)  ) and would want the flexibility of using my own Nikon glass as well. I'd hate to be relegated to a different thread. I think the adaptability of the CL to other lenses is one of its greatest strengths. This is the nature of mirrorless in today's camera world.

• Like 2

My main gripe for macro is that the M bellows won't fit onto the M adapter; the button protrudes. The best macro combination IQ-wise that I know of is the Tele-Elmar 135 head in the bellows. I don't want to spend the money to get the Novoflex tube and haven't found a Chinese clone yet.

My main gripe for macro is that the M bellows won't fit onto the M adapter; the button protrudes. The best macro combination IQ-wise that I know of is the Tele-Elmar 135 head in the bellows. I don't want to spend the money to get the Novoflex tube and haven't found a Chinese clone yet.

When using the Leica BellowsII I normally use my 41mm Viso spacer but any suitable spacer e.g a 16469 OUFRO would do the trick. As is well known it is not a good idea to try to fit am M camera directly to the bellows - it was designed to be used with the old Visoflex.

Leica Bellows II with Tele Elmar 135mm head, spacer, M-adapter-L and CL.

Edited by ayewing
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...