My R3 challenges.....problems with older electronic Leica's

earleygallery

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a Leica R3 MOT since new bought for my 18th by my parents, which developed a shutter fault a couple of years ago, meaning it doesn't fire properly at the higher speeds. It can't be repaired, so it sits unused (I guess it could be a low light or flash only body!).

I put a bid on another R3 I saw in an online auction (not that one). It was the version with the self timer. When I received the camera and went to put batteries in, I found that the connector prong was missing! Sold as seen of course, but never mind, it did come with an ERC and a Tamron adaptor which were worth more than what I paid for the lot. As it happens I managed to get a paper clip to connect with the electrics so it currently works but I'm not sure what will happen when I need to change those batteries - can I get the paper clip to work again or not! (I did try opening up the base of the camera but to get to the other side of the battery compartment means major dismantling of the body).

Anyway, I still really wanted a direct replacement of the MOT as it's nicer to hold without the self timer in the way and also the later 'red dot' version like my original one.

I bought another at Photographica, later MOT red dot version. Decent condition, just a mark on the front of the prism, and with some borrowed batteries to check it, the shutter appeared to operate correctly.

I just had another look over it after fitting new batteries and putting a lens on it. Guess what? The auto metering is playing up!! It seems to be OK on spot mode but not on normal auto. The manual speeds work fine though. I'm not sure if it was sold as seen or if the seller was offering any kind of warranty.

A shame, although it was only £100 and does at least work as a manual body. I opted for it instead of a chrome body I saw on another stand which was more expensive but another self timer version.

Not sure whether to cut my losses and just use these imperfect ones til they drop, or search again for a mint and fully operational R3 MOT..........

With the demise of the M7 this is a reminder of why fully mechanical bodies are a better long term bet.

I feel you pain James, and have been watching your R3 woes from the sidelines for a while now.

Given the amount of R3's you seem to be attracting, see if you can find a manual on how to open them up, and attempt some repairs?

I saw a mint, new in box, never been used R3 advertised recently, and wondered. Then though, "nah", the old SL is all I need, why complicate matters.

Good luck.

Gary

• Like 1

Thanks Gary. I really like the R3, it just feels right to me and of course I'm so used to it, so I'm loathe to give it up. Repairs are - I'm told - pretty much impossible (and I don't know where to start with camera innards!).

I see the Safari and Gold editions going for silly money. I wouldn't want to pay that sort of price for what could be nothing more than an ornament (ok I guess nobody uses the gold ones, but what's the point!). I definitely wouldn't buy any R3 again without a thorough 'test drive' first.

• 3 weeks later...

My 'new' R3 seems to have fixed itself. It was erratic on average metering but seemed OK after running it on electrics for a while.

I shot a test film today and all images have turned out fine, spot and average metering. Hurrah!

I will post some results in the photo 'street' forum.

• Like 1

James (and every other early Leica R enthusiast):

Do not forget the R6 and R6.2 bodies.  More expensive than the R3s, and manual mode only, but they are fully mechanical, can operate without a battery (except for the meter) and should be repairable, and enjoyable, for just as long as my M3 and M4.2!

I also have an R9 and electronic Ms (M9 and M240).  I don't know how long I will be able to enjoy them, but I bought them knowing that.

Good luck with your R3s!

Guy