Leica CM / ML?/ New Leica Mirrorless Announcement

Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, just sit your Q on the table. It will lean forward. That tells you that the centre of gravity must be forward of the front edge of the camera, and the lens is therefore heavier than the body. Together they weigh 640g, so it follows that the lens itself must weigh at least 320g. The Samyang lens I have on my A7ii is listed at 80g, and is thus lighter than the Q's lens.

Q ED

I hope you never meet Archimedes - he might disagree with your reasoning: "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world".

A lens could weigh 1g, but if it is long enough it would tilt the camera.

• Like 2

I hope you never meet Archimedes - he might disagree with your reasoning: "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world".

A lens could weigh 1g, but if it is long enough it would tilt the camera.

I dangle my Q by the wrist-strap and it hangs petty much vertical, slightly tilted forward. You're saying that if the lens were of uniform density, and thin enough - like a rigid stick of spaghetti - and I dangled it over a deep enough chasm, the body would be horizontal because the centre of mass would lie a long way down the long skinny lens.

Apologies. In terms of preference I was actually referring to the Summilux-M 28mm. The Q is a brilliant camera with near perfect operation. However, its autofocus, while quick, is somewhat redundant for my uses. I have little issue focussing moving subjects on the street with a rangefinder at 28mm 1.4 compared to a 50mm at 1.4.

Now if they came out with a 35mm or 50mm true 1.4 Q, I think a lot of heads would turn. 

And on lens size, I had always thought a 35mm or 50mm would be smaller and simpler than a 28mm if the aperture size was equal. I have no in depth knowledge of lens design - merely going by the current M lens lineup, with the 28mm lux being far bigger and more expensive than the others mentioned... 

Edited by jonatdonuts
  • Like 1

I've had my Q for about a year now. The 28mm lens isn't a big problem. I can always crop later. 24MP gives me a fair amount of chop space.

For street shooting, it's a great lens. It gets the environment, and if one is a little nervous about sticking it in someone's face, just aim off to one side and the subject will still be in the shot.

But, you know, it is what it is. Wanting a different length or a tiltscreen or this or that doesn't change the fact that it is a bloody good camera, and one that is much loved.

• Like 2

I dangle my Q by the wrist-strap and it hangs petty much vertical, slightly tilted forward. You're saying that if the lens were of uniform density, and thin enough - like a rigid stick of spaghetti - and I dangled it over a deep enough chasm, the body would be horizontal because the centre of mass would lie a long way down the long skinny lens.

Not horizontal, but the longer the spaghetti, the further towards vertical the lens would point.

The more it tilts, the more the moment of the body (mass multiplied by the distance of it's CoG from the strap lug) would counterbalance the moment of the lens, so it would never actually get to pointing straight down.

What you left out of your first analysis was the distance of the CoG from the fulcrum. It is the moments (weight times distance) that must balance, not the weights on their own.

Edited by LocalHero1953

It's ok I guess, probably a little overrated though...

I've had my Q for about a year now. The 28mm lens isn't a big problem. I can always crop later. 24MP gives me a fair amount of chop space.

For street shooting, it's a great lens. It gets the environment, and if one is a little nervous about sticking it in someone's face, just aim off to one side and the subject will still be in the shot.

But, you know, it is what it is. Wanting a different length or a tiltscreen or this or that doesn't change the fact that it is a bloody good camera, and one that is much loved.

'

Fotosidan published their interview with Stefan Daniel from Leica about future cameras. Here are the two most interesting Q&A:

Do you also see room for a smaller mirrorless full-frame camera, for example with the dimensions of an M?

I do not want to claim that we have filled in every blank so far. We are always looking at alternative concepts, but I cannot say more about that for the time being. The recent rumours about a so-called CM however are totally unfounded.

Read more: https://leicarumors.com/2018/07/05/interview-with-leica-about-future-cameras.aspx/#ixzz5KQxVd7m4

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

With the froth and frenzy having ebbed away on this story a bit, no doubt to return as we get close to Photokina, I wondered whether Leica might take a bit of a left turn...

Leica have invested in bodies milled from a block of alumni(i)m for the T,TL, and TL2 but perhaps surprisingly din't use that technology for the CL. Could rumored the full frame mirrorless "L" camera use a milled from alumni(i)um body? It might be an interesting twist in a market destined to become more crowded pretty soon. 

What does anyone else think?

With the froth and frenzy having ebbed away on this story a bit, no doubt to return as we get close to Photokina, I wondered whether Leica might take a bit of a left turn...

Leica have invested in bodies milled from a block of alumni(i)m for the T,TL, and TL2 but perhaps surprisingly din't use that technology for the CL. Could rumored the full frame mirrorless "L" camera use a milled from alumni(i)um body? It might be an interesting twist in a market destined to become more crowded pretty soon. 

What does anyone else think?

The SL body components are milled from aluminium. There is no CM or similar mini SL on the horizon according to Leica Camera AG … the rumour was 'fake news'. And currently there is no rumoured mirrorless 'L' camera or SL2. If you're referring to the rumoured code 4529 camera there is no indication that this is a FF camera.  Wishful thinking fuels rumours and rumourmongers have to try and justify their writings by publishing nonsense … which they subsequently try and justify with more nonsense and wishful thinking.  Hopefully we're not starting the whole FF CL argument all over again with more wishful thinking. Whatever Leica Camera has in development for the next FF camera cannot be influenced by anything suggested within this thread; a new camera takes several years to design and reach prototype stage; it's sensible to wait and be patient for official announcements rather than speculate and be disappointed when a fantasy forum designed camera doesn't happen. 

dunk 

• Like 1

I guess free thinking and conjecture are verboten then!

No it's not … but sometimes it's pointless and goes nowhere … and creates unnecessary and contagious hysteria when everyone jumps on the bandwagon. And consider all the disappointments amongst forum members when the rumoured mini SL / CM did not happen.

dunk 

Just as addition to the topic here - currently dpreview has a survey on its website to have members vote what they consider most important from a Canon/Nikon MLC (which also relates to other brands in general). So far the ones with more than 10% voted for:

+ High resolution sensor

+ Sports-ready AF system (probably not too relevant to Leica here)

+ Lifelike viewfinder

+ Full compatibility / full performance with existing lenses

So I suppose that, if we were to agree with your reasoning, the following would be frowned upon:

Freedom of expression.

Freedom of thought. 

Freedom to dream.

Sounds like a really fun world...

Wishful thinking fuels rumours...it's sensible to wait and be patient for official announcements rather than speculate and be disappointed when a fantasy forum designed camera doesn't happen. 

dunk 

I guess free thinking and conjecture are verboten then!

Edited by jonatdonuts