Summilux 28 - Waterdrop inside?

BJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Leica Forum,

I am in need of some help.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In my Summilux-M 28, there is a small bubble inside, like a waterdrop. I had the same issue about one month ago. I sent my lens to Leica Customer Care in Wetzlar. They directly addressed this issue, cleaned the lens, and sent it back to me. Great job from them! Can't complain about anything!

Now, after one short trip to Ibiza, without really different air humidity (maybe besides the Hotel or the flight) or "water action" like pool shots or photographs from the ocean, I got the same waterdrop / bubble again. I haven't made any comparison shots beforehand, but I could swear, it looks nearly like same issue one month ago.

My M10, the sensor, and my Summilux-M 50 are completely clean. After about 10k shots, not even dust on the sensor. I really care about my gear...not in terms that it should look like brand new...I mean...I use my gear of course, but I do some cleaning after a trip and normally switch lenses in decent settings, so that no dust can come inside.

There is still guarantee on the lens, and I have an appointment in Wetzlar this Friday. So no problem from that point of view. But...I am really angry...because...I do not want to do this everytime after an adventure.

I mean, my SL50 has no problems at all and I used it heavily during rain. So I am guessing that maybe my SL28 has some kind of issue? Of course, I can be completely wrong.

Can this be my fault? Can this be from air moisture? Maybe a little bit of water came on the housing and went inside during focusing? Any other Leica user ever had problems like this?

Here is a photograph about roughly the position of the waterdrop. Can hardly be seen on the first image. That's why I am guessing it kind of creeped into the lens through focusing.

Is there any quickwin to get the water out of the lens? Of course there is Leica Customer Care...but it always takes some time and after the guarantee...I guess I need to pay for it :)

Sry...maybe this post lacks a bit of structure...I am just sad right now.

Cheers and thanks a lot for any post in advance!

Ben.

It is not an air bubble, as they could resolve it via cleaning. As this waterdrop does not fade, even in a very dry environment, and as I did not use this lens in a wet environment, I now believe it may also be some oil or grease from the focus ring, as it is directly on moveable lens group.

Edited by BJohn

Air bubbles in the glass cannot be cleaned i'm afraid. Been there already.

I know and if that would be the case, I would deeply insist on a replacement. But as mentioned before, the same "disturbance / disruption" was there before and they cleaned it. So it has to be either water or some sort of oil from the focus ring. The more I read, the more I believe it is some sort of oil / grease.

I mean, it does not look like the "dirt" before the cleaning, but it is roughly in the same place. And more importantly, it is on the bottom of the lens. If rain would creep inside the lens, I would assume the dirt/water/bubble would be placed near the top.

• Like 1

The drop is grease / lubricant (don't know the exact english term for that) from the focusing helix (Schneckengang). It seems, the technician said, that there was one small drop too much on the helix, and thus, it can smutch the blades or the glas. Repair is of course for free. Again beautiful execution of customer care. I had a warm welcome with a cup of coffee and got plenty of technical explanations from the guy.

• 3 months later...

So, it is now the third time Leica received my lens. Hopefully, they get it fixed this time. They offered me a full replacement of the lens but sadly none in stock. Thus, they offered to replace the complete lens head (german: "Objektivkopf"). The lens head is basically the complete arrangement of the optical glass. It seems that my lens got some small abnormal leakage and some grease / lubricant from the focusing helix finds its way on the glass.

you said you use your 50 Lux "heavily during rain" and I doubt you didn't do that to your 28 Lux.  Anyway, M body is water resistant but lenses are not water resistant and I think the 50 Lux survived the heavy rain due a different design. 

It was approved by the Leica Customer Care, that the inside drop is grease from the helicoil. So doesn't really matter.

Sadly this is not the first time I hear about too much grease on the helicoil on the 28 Lux. When I tried to decide which lenses to get for my M10 this popped up a few times.

Honestly, for me it was the first time to notice this issue. I know two other 28 Lux owner and none of those experienced this issue. You can have oil moving from the aperture blades on the glass, but here it is different. So, I assume there is some sort of leakage in between the moving focussing elements.

Had the same problem with my Lux 50. Started as 1-2 drops then over time went to over 50. Leica fixed it last November and no problems since. Might be an idea to get on the waiting list for that re-hauling and new part if not already 

Honestly, for me it was the first time to notice this issue. I know two other 28 Lux owner and none of those experienced this issue. You can have oil moving from the aperture blades on the glass, but here it is different. So, I assume there is some sort of leakage in between the moving focussing elements.

• Like 1

Looks like an oil drop.

I had the same exact problem but with multiple drops that look the same as this one in a new 50mm Summilux-ASPH.

I sent it to Leica for cleaning and was told the lens was somehow overlubricated. The excess oil evaporated from where it is (e.g. aperture blades) and condenses on the back lens element.

• Like 1

Looks like an oil drop.

I had the same exact problem but with multiple drops that look the same as this one in a new 50mm Summilux-ASPH.

I sent it to Leica for cleaning and was told the lens was somehow overlubricated. The excess oil evaporated from where it is (e.g. aperture blades) and condenses on the back lens element.

Famous Leica QC strikes again.

I believe it is important to note that at least in my case, after minor use the oil appeared again and again and again! It is now the third time the lens is at Wetzlar for service. So I really believe it is some major manufacturing fault. But I am glad to hear that more people have experienced this issue: I am not alone :)

Edited by BJohn

Famous Leica QC strikes again.

That’s nonsense. People don’t go into the internet to report how happy they are. Once somebody has a problem it will be posted ASAP.

Although I am quite a fan of Leica products and own a considerable range, I have had issues with brand new items from the factory much more frequently than with any other brand of camera/lens. This experience is shared by many on this forum. So, whilst publication bias always will work in favor of problematic items, the experience of products needing one or more visits to CS until they are up to spec seems not to be a spurious one, but rather a bit systematic, I‘m afraid. Many of us do have experience with other brands for comparison, albeit individual experience will never have sufficient sample power for statistic validation ;)

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 3

I've gone through a lot of new Leica equipment in the past forty years and distinctly remember in 2003 when I got my new MP there was a spot of dust inside the viewfinder window. I do confess I did step on the crack in a pavement that day, and a black cat did cross my path from right to left, but since then I've been more careful.

• Like 1