Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello there,

I have decided to start a topic on jammed shutter issue of Leica film cameras.

I experienced this issue while taking photos at the Shard. My camera had been loaded with Adox CMS 20 II, the microfilm had the highest resolving power. The first fifteen frames were beautiful to enjoy the view. Yet after 16th frame, the camera was jammed. Since I tried to force its advance lever, it was totally broken. One wondering what was happened may look at the result here.

I sent my camera to Wetzlar via Leica Store Mayfair. After eight weeks, it came back to London in a repaired condition under warranty. Recently, I have heard similar experiences to mine. Some of them is not related to choose Adox's films, since they have occurred while using Ilford's HP5+, and so on.

In order to build a guide for one who could experience the same, may you share your experiences on jammed shutter, or advance lever stuck?

It happened to my M6 before CLA: the advance lever and the shutter button would randomly jam.

Putting the rewind release lever to R would mend the problem.

It happened on my M2, the shutter brake was worn and the curtains overlapped jamming them.

I didn't force anything though, just sent it for repair and CLA.

Some people advice to use Motor-M when it jams so as to overcome the obstacle. Yet I believe that the only solution to make it free is to send the camera to Wetzlar for repair. 

Edited by odeon

Just recently had a few such experiences with my as new M7! I found out that I could "release it from that condition by setting the dial to one of the "non electronic" exposure times and the Camera worked normally again from hereon. I obviously lost that image.

I don't know if I'm right but I think it's due to lack of use ? I believe that my M7 may only have seen 5-6 rolls of film, 2 of which I have taken about a year ago.

Preben

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just sent my classic M6 to Youxin for similar problems, intermittient locked up advance lever that I've been able to remedy by flipping the rewind lever, but the frequency is becoming more problematic so I'm keen to get it fixed. I'll follow up when I get an update on the issue and/or sort the problem out.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lykaman
      Hi All, my CLA'd  111f's will be arriving shortly, I'm hoping to use one for B&W and the other for Color,, This is just going to be a fun exercise, which films would you suggest? (It must be 20years since I used my film cameras, R6.2 & M6) - L
    • By Johnkittaboon
      I have one of leica c1 kirin beer limited edition and I want to know how many leica made this compact camera in limited?
    • By justkane
      Hello, Newbie post here!
      I purchased a really beautiful M7 back in February and initially sent it in to service for a shutter curtain and rangefinder calibration after finding flaws in the first few rolls back from the lab. The work was done in March and all seemed well. Now there's a new super weird and annoying problem and I'm curious if any technicians and fellow M7 owners have experienced this.
      When powering on, the first shot seems to lock up the shutter halfway when using electronic speeds snd auto mode. It sounds like the soft click of the front curtain opening for a long exposure, but never completes the exposure with that louder clack. I am able to complete the exposure jam by switching to one of the mechanical speeds and press the release. It then clacks and allows me to advance again.
      Here's the weird part: as long as I keep the power switch on, I can now capture normal electronic shutter speeds without issue. Once I turn it off and then on again, that first powered frame will lock up. I've changed the batteries (using Duracell DL 1/3N CR1/3N 3v Lithiums), the battery gate and contacts appear clean, the meter appears to be displaying and working normally. Literally just the shutter lock up on the first powered frame is the issue. 
      The service technician is a bit stumped by this issue and has suggested that I keep the power switch on and only advance when ready to shoot, or live with the oddity to avoid having to pony up for what could be the need for a new circuit board.
      Anyone have experience with this issue?
      What is the going rate for a trip to Leica for a new board and CLA? Would it be less of headache to sell the body at a low price and live another day with an M6 or MP instead? Yes, I do dream of an MP...

Thanks in advance!
    • By Yaakov
      Disclaimer:
      I'm starting a new topic regarding the issues found in my newly purchased Leica MP, the purpose of this is to share any ideas that could lead to a solution,
      this is not a rant about Leica lack of QC which we all know is becoming an issue.
      After receiving my camera I run a roll of Kodak TriX 400, after developing the film I found a trace of scratches, I did several test with other films which I didn't develop (in case the scratches were being caused by my development process):
      Bergger Pancro 400,
      Ilford HP5+.
      They all show the same type of scratches.
      This is an undeveloped roll, https://ibb.co/RbxynrM
      https://ibb.co/8xkfs17
      I found several threads with people claim the source of this issues was the pressure plate so I checked mine in order the find anything that could be the reason, the screws in the plate don't match the position of the marks in the film and the surface of the plate in my camera feels smooth and flat, I wondered if maybe the reason could be the bridge that has the connection for the light meter but after more inspection it was obvious that the plate keeps the very flat and it does not touch that area.
      I did another test in which I rub some film on the surface of the plate, to my surprise the film was very scratched, I did the same against the plate in my 1958 M2 and it didn't do a single one.
      I also did a couple of prints to verify the scratches appear and unfortunately the scratches are visible even on a middle size print.
      This is the print, the scratches appear in the top and the bottom https://ibb.co/VpKsdfb
    • By Glere
      Hi! I have a mint Leica R7, worked always without any issue but today I noticed when attaching the Summicron the "A" (full and centered) modes were no displaying when changing the modes (it displayed "m" and even the controls were manual), the same for the program mode (where it said time priority").

is it possible that maybe the metal contact of the selector needs a clean or the electronic has a big problem? or what can it be?

(the lens I'm using is a "R only" lens, I had the R4s2 before and it functioned in all modes with no problems)
      Thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy