Bokeh on X Vario

late9sound

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings,

New user here.  I currently have Olympus EM1 with 75mm and 12-40mm lens.  Itching to try Leica as browing through images produced by X vario is such a joy.  I love nice blur background when I take portrait pictures of my kids so the question is would X vario give nice blur background as I know the lens is only F3.5 at the widest aperture (or tips to produce nice bokeh.)  Thank you all for your insight.

If you want enough background blur to make the subject stand out, there’s no question that the X Vario can help you achieve that. On the other hand, if your idea of bokeh is a background blurred to unrecognisable oblivion, you may prefer a camera with a much wider maximum aperture.

The quality of background blur is a matter of personal taste but the X Vario is capable of producing more than enough acceptable blur to isolate the subject, especially if you use the 70mm lens setting with the lens wide open, get as close to your subject as possible and position your subject as far from the background as possible. One of the advantages of the excellent X Vario lens is that it can be used wide open to good effect.

I don’t often do portraits but I’m attaching a botanical photo that I took to illustrate the background blur produced by the X Vario.

Welcome to the forum and may the light be with you!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Sure is nice... How about example of people' pictures.

I'm surprised no one took you up on people pictures. Here are a couple from the cousin to X Vario, the X 113 which has wider aperture but still a 35 FOV (fixed 23mm on APS_C).

The trick with portraits as opposed to macro type close ups is not distorting faces by shooting too close t the subject and susing a wider focal length.The blur on these is minimal but still makes the subject pop a bit and also gives an "environmental" portrait affect. And the last by it's nature allowed me to get in close and get a  more OOF background.

164590377.NnPotlJq.AvaonBridge.jpg

165376262.eH1KVC63.FocusingatpointDefian

166434654.x3yeyYdm.GreenonWestSide.jpg

• Like 2

Guest LeicaX-

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

https://flic.kr/p/JQf16g

https://flic.kr/p/261qEDB

Edited by LeicaX-
  • Like 5