stephengv

Do you need a 15mm VF for the CV 15 Heliar III

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A little less than a year ago, I bought the CV 15mm Heliar III. I did not bother to purchased the CV 15mm Viewfinder., its a bit expensive in my opinion and I already have an Olympus EVF for my M240. 

However, I rarely use the CV 15mm Heliar III, mainly because I hate using the EVF. 

Do you guys think its worth it to purchased the 15mm Viewfinder? 

I think that judging perspective is far more easy on the EVF, plus you will avoid perspective parallax, and normal parallax, but an optical viewfinder would work as well as a time-honoured method.

However, I rarely use the CV 15mm Heliar III, mainly because I hate using the EVF. 

… so, I conclude that for you is really worth to take the CV15 finder… is a pity not to use a lens for the reason that you dislike th EVF...

Btw, I have the CV15mm finder… bought used… not so costly, light and easy to carry. For certain kind of pictures one can even renounce to framing (with a 15…"it's always all inside…

" : but that's a joke… strong WA need a finder, no doubt.

Although I no longer own one, I had one for about 3 years. Personally I found an optical vf a good idea, even though I thought the cost was steep.

I have the 15mm OVF for use on non LV-enabled bodies, but I have learned to like the EVF on the M240 and M10 better for precise framing and perspective alignment. Pity the M10 has lost the artificial horizon, though... Definitely worth buying the OVF if you are not going to use the lens with the EVF anyway. Or sell the lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hate the EVF as well. It’s sold in the meantime. Top on viewfinders are however great to work with, especially if the wide angel region.

I am not using any external finder right now, but I will try the EVF.

Jesse

Just curious: how do you compose? I can sort of get away with estimating the image edges of a 21mm lens, but any wider would be a wild guess...

Edited by Ecar

Just curious: how do you compose? I can sort of get away with estimating the image edges of a 21mm lens, but any wider would be a wild guess...

Instinct, and that is not a joke. The field of view is approximately double the viewfinder. I do not use a finder for the 21 either. If I use a tripod, I use live view on the M-P 240.

Jesse

On instinct, I would photograph my feet with 15mm.

Edited by Gobert

An accurate optical viewfinder (OVF) is my favorite. If you can focus through the rangefinder, do so and switch easily to the OVF. It is bright and free of distractions (speaking of those Leicas that have RF LED crap). I use OVF on 10mm, 35mm and 50mm.

My wish for Leicas that display all that clutter is to have an option to suppress them. My M7 is an example of over-the-top cluttered display.

So far, the best OVFs in general come from Cosina-Voightlander.

I also like Leica's simple 50mm OVF.

Edited by pico

With the CV 15mm I use the OVF (rangefinder) for focussing and then use LV (screen) for framing. Works for me.

No need for an extra Viewfinder.

Thank you for the replies. I have no problem using the Live View when shooting landscape with the M. I use the 15mm CV in landscape, but never use it as a street/documentary lens. 

I'm thinking that the EVF is not as fast as the OVF when shooting handheld. 

Is it really worth to buy the OVF? and is it accurate? Thanks. 

If you are shooting faster than the EVF then tight framing is prolly not an issue. Use the rangefinder and point in roughly the right direction.

The EVF isn’t perfect but it works sufficiently in most cases. Stop fighting it.

An accurate optical viewfinder (OVF) is my favorite. If you can focus through the rangefinder, do so and switch easily to the OVF. It is bright and free of distractions (speaking of those Leicas that have RF LED crap). I use OVF on 10mm, 35mm and 50mm.

My wish for Leicas that display all that clutter is to have an option to suppress them. My M7 is an example of over-the-top cluttered display.

So far, the best OVFs in general come from Cosina-Voightlander.

I also like Leica's simple 50mm OVF.

vf50-01.jpg

I'm not sure how using a 50mm OVF would help with a 15mm lens? I'm confused.

I have one of these lenses and use either Live View of the Olympus OVF.

But, to tell you the truth, I mainly pre-set the lens focus, use F8 and shoot from the hip.

So I would answer:

NO

The angle of view and depth of field are both enormous

Edited by terrycym

I've got the III and also did not buy the finder with it, but I have one from the v.1.  Optically I can't say I've ever been impressed with it, but prior to the M240 it was what I used.  I don't like EVF's either, but I use mine (Olympus version) now for wide angle lenses 12mm-21mm.  It solves carrying multiple finders and switching them each time I switch focal lengths.  Plus it lets me do closeups with an OUFRO or a Nikon 2-element closeup filter, and gives me a bigger view framing a 135 (for which I used to also carry a BL finder).  Say what you will about the EVF, it is a convenience option so long as you're not shooting fast. 

I'm not sure how using a 50mm OVF would help with a 15mm lens? I'm confused.

Silly. I was speaking of OVFs in general. I mentioned 10mm, 35mm, 50mm.

Enough range for ya?

Use your EVF...you've got one.

Or shoot from your hip...everything is in focus anyway.

It's a fun lens...i have the version 1 which requires distance estimation. It's a terrific quality and build lens, and haven't seen any reason to buy the later versions. Tiny too.