Questions about Rokkor M 28mm.

Coldeye

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Got this lens for a pretty good price online, it has a bit of the white spot problem but everything seems pristine, but I do have a few questions. I currently have a leica m240 and a leitz minolta CL for my film needs. For those who have used this lens on the M, what frameline does it bring out when mounted? I hear reports of it bringing the 35mm frame but I am not sure. Also for the CL, is the whole view of the viewfinder close enough to 28mm? Thank you all.

I don't have this 28mm anymore.

When I had it years ago with my CLE, if the Rokkor M 28mm was mounted on an Leica M, the framelines was 35mm.

Logic things as Rokkor 40mm brings 50mm framelines, and Rokkor 90mm brings  90mm on M.

Yes the M-Rokkor 28/2.8 brings out 35/135 framelines on the M240.

I see. Is it like with the 40mm, shaving a tiny bit of the tab, or is it the opposite?

The opposite sorry. Only way would be to replace the 28/2.8's flange by that of the M-Rokkor 90/4 which brings out 28/90 framelines. Its  screw holes look at the same place but i never tried to do that so far.

• 4 years later...
On 5/28/2018 at 11:25 AM, lct said:

Yes the M-Rokkor 28/2.8 brings out 35/135 framelines on the M240.

The opposite sorry. Only way would be to replace the 28/2.8's flange by that of the M-Rokkor 90/4 which brings out 28/90 framelines. Its  screw holes look at the same place but i never tried to do that so far.

Just tried this: does not work at all. Only way to bring up 28mm framelines is to modify the 28/2.8's flange then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sinjun said:

I wedge the frameline selector with a bit of folded paper [...]

I should have said that the only way to bring up 28mm framelines is to modify the Rokkor 28/2.8's flange on cameras, like the OP's M240, having no frameline selector. My own copy of that lens has such a flange with 6-bit coding and it works fine on both M240 and M11 bodies. JFI.

• Thanks 1

Ict, does the lens still have the 35 frame? Then what is used for the code?

I find that the lens needs no code to supress the smearing other 28’s have. Negligable. 
I heard (Will van Maanen) that a 28mm replacement bayonet is available . . But at €150_200 a bit expensive. For a lens that cost me € 350. But the quality on the M10R and M240-P is outstanding. It should be my favourate lens like the 40mm I like so much. 
A repair shop in the UK said they could paste a small piece of metal with dentists two-component glue to the existing flange to fill up the space to engage the 28mm frame. That should work. I’ld rather use some silver solder as glue but I’m stupid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alberti said:

Ict, does the lens still have the 35 frame? Then what is used for the code?

My copy has a modified flange with 28mm frame and Elmarit 28/2.8 pre-asph's code. I don't know whom did the mod though as it is a pre-owned copy.

Thanks. I found  M-mount and 6-bit flanges on the net, but with 6 screw holes, but the sellers (Aliexpress) have NO IDEA for which lenses/models the flanges are . .  

The thickness is not universal and the hole spacings are neither. So I wonder. A custom made flange is too expensive (I once asked Skyllaney, they gave a too high quote).