If I only use manual focus should I buy TL mount lens?

To me, the answer is: Yes and no.

If you *never* ever use AF, then having a MF lens with a shorter turn of the focus ring collar - and hard focus collar stops at infinity and the closest focusing distance are definitely better than the (very good) fly by wire MF on the TL lenses.

However, sometimes AF is faster and extremely more convenient than having to *always* rely on MF.

The key question to me is, why would you *not* want to use AF (at least) some of the time? (This is not a criticism - but rather, I think is the *key* question to decide.)

Resolution wise, there’s not much difference at all between the modern TL lenses and M or 3rd party MF lenses. In fact, the TL lenses might outperform older M lenses since the more modern TL lenses are more tightly coupled with the processor and sensor.

I’ve had, and used, both types of lenses - and ended up much preferring the TL AF lenses - Including zooms, for their versatility - over MF lenses.

Clearly, AF isn’t 100% useful always. But if it’s close to 50% useful, i’d consider the TL lenses.

Not only are the TL lenses actually a bigger bang for the buck, but they really are more versatile- to have AF and/or zooms that really rival prime lenses for their image quality.

The notion that MF lenses (or primes) always have better IQ just isn’t true anymore.

Hope this is helpful. Cheers.

It depends where you see yourself in the future regarding the Leica camera system lineup. TL lenses have closer minimal focussing distance and you can always hand them to someone else in AF mode. M lenses are more versatile regarding different camera systems. In case you need a telephoto lens, I would seriously look into a used 2.4/90 Summarit with an M adapter. Can be sold again with little loss and has an aperture advantage to the TL tele lens.

On a separate note I am not sure I would want to manually focus with a TL. CL is a different story because of the integrate viewfinder.

Edited by Photon42