External power for SL?

lecycliste

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone figured out a way to power the SL externally for extended time-lapse photography? 

Or should I simply use my EOS 5D mk IV instead (which I'd rather not do - love the look and performance of Leica 28/2.8 and 24/1.4 for night sky images)?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

A couple things - 

The  24/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH is OK for night sky work. There is coma in the corners at f/1.4, but that's true of most 24/1.4 lenses, except for the (sometimes de-centered) Samyang / Rokinon 24/1.4. The Leica SL is good for relatively short exposures, less than maybe 90 seconds or so. You wait for another exposure time while the long exposure noise reduction shoots a dark frame to cancel noise, so you wouldn't want to do a 30 minute exposure at ISO 100 and f/11. 

I love the depth of field scale on Leica lenses - it makes hyperfocal focusing very easy, unlike most lenses for Canon EOS. 

That said, I have used Sigma's 14mm f/1.8 Art on an EOS 5D mk IV for starfield shooting. It also has coma in the corners wide-open. 

As for the 2-battery grip (https://tinyurl.com/y7leyv5k), it costs as much as a Sigma 25/1.4 Art lens I can put on my EOS 5D mk IV. I was hoping for a less-expensive external power source for the SL for time-lapse, but if the HG-SCL4 is the only alternative, I'd rather have the 24/1.4 Art lens. 

• Like 1

Leica produced an external power system for the S. I wonder if it could be modified to fit into the battery compartment of an SL. It is not something I need but it would be interesting. The shape of the battery shell is different but I would not expect many other required changes.

External power is not needed by most people but important. I will never say no if the system provided for such an option particularly if it's non proprietary like a USB-C port.

It is essential for video, and I wish SL had USB-C. While in most cases having three fully charged batteries and two chargers will do the trick, it is the absence of an external power option that makes me pass on assignments like long concerts, conferences, etc.

• Like 2

It is essential for video, and I wish SL had USB-C. While in most cases having three fully charged batteries and two chargers will do the trick, it is the absence of an external power option that makes me pass on assignments like long concerts, conferences, etc.

I think the 29 minutes limit does  put a crimp on you too  :D You can always change battery when that 29 min limit comes up  ;) 

I think a Video L camera this year is more likely than anything else. Better margins. So that external power port is not likely to be forgotten.  

• Like 1

What battery life do you see when shooting UHD ProRes over HDMI to an external recorder?  With 4K recorded to the chip in the camera I have no trouble getting over an hour of shooting on one battery.  I'm now using external audio recording to bridge the need to insert a cut before 29 minutes are up.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

What battery life do you see when shooting UHD ProRes over HDMI to an external recorder?  With 4K recorded to the chip in the camera I have no trouble getting over an hour of shooting on one battery.  I'm now using external audio recording to bridge the need to insert a cut before 29 minutes are up.

Thanks, sounds like a neat trick. I've been recording separately but never thought to use it as a bridge.

Do you lay down the audio in editing stage first? Or drop in after your cuts? 

Thanks, sounds like a neat trick. I've been recording separately but never thought to use it as a bridge.

Do you lay down the audio in editing stage first? Or drop in after your cuts? 

Audio has to come first, if I have been creating an archive of a production.

• Like 1

Approximately an hour

• Like 1

I think the 29 minutes limit does  put a crimp on you too  :D You can always change battery when that 29 min limit comes up  ;)

I think a Video L camera this year is more likely than anything else. Better margins. So that external power port is not likely to be forgotten.  

There is no limit when recording out via HDMI. It is only limited by the capacity of SL batteries, as the recorder can be connected to the outside power.

• Like 1

There is no limit when recording out via HDMI. It is only limited by the capacity of SL batteries, as the recorder can be connected to the outside power.

I forgot about your operational method. Thanks!

So the limiting factor would be SL's battery endurance

Having a dummy battery with AC  would be huge.  The S has this option as a proper studio camera.   I've been trying to use it more for video interviews with the Noctilux but this is the main limiting factor for attempting this in a professional capacity on location for long periods of time.  Just as well I guess as it's not really meant for this type of work but I do enjoy doing it when I can.

• 3 years later...

I know it has been quite some time, but maybe there is somehow a solution to power the camera externally? What about if the camera is used in tethered shooting via USB Cable? Does that solve anything? Assume not, would be too easy I guess 😉

The reason I am asking is, for me 1080p for video would be enough and if I could use the camera (recording externally via HDMI Out) as my video camera for streaming/ conferencing, this would be great and a "valuable" and affordable solution. But of course that would require that the camera can be operated on continuous power and not via battery.

There is the option to attach a USB-C external battery. This charges the main battery while the camera is in use. In effect acting like an external power source. You can run all day with one battery internal charging as the cell will never drop below 100 percent. Does not seem to add any extra heat. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!