1st quarter been and gone and still no Ektachrome

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ian, 

Having looked at the Instagram, I hope Kodak will do one heck of a lot better than that with the final version they put on sale. Those images look like the Gen.1 version of Ektachrome from the 1950's, when we went: "Yerchhhhh" and went straight back to Kodachrome. The colours look faded and washed out, if grain free and the colour was a bit like the Lomochrome I tried, which is I believe, outdated Agfa Aviphot film, the same stuff as Rollei Variochrome. The end results of the Agfa Precisa CT100 I am using at the moment (Fuji Provia 100F emulsion on a different substrate), are miles better than the photos they show. 

Wilson

Completely agree with you about the Ektachrome samples Wilson. 

• Like 1

Well, the previous and last basic E100 was not all that saturated, either. If you wanted saturation and contrast, you bought the "VS" version ("Vivid Saturation?"). Or Fuji Velvia.

The Instagram samples (allowing for screen calibration, video compression, etc. etc.) look about like the old E100G, or Fuji Provia/Astia. Low contrast to preserve dynamic range, and low contrast inherently reduces saturation as well (saturation is just contrast per color layer).

https://goo.gl/images/PpwT5j

Saturation is a matter of taste, not an absolute "good." See the digital section (M240 too dull, M10 too saturated, "I want M9 'pop'! " etc. etc.)

Not to critique Wilson per se - but his CT100 shot on the previous page makes me gag. Talk about "blown highlights" in the pink and white pool toys, while still having inky black "detail-free" shadows!

But even "Kodachrome color" meant different things to different people, because it was schizophrenic. Underexposed "Ernst Haas-style," it had strong saturation. Exposed "generously" it was quite low-saturation. (e.g. by my mother with a Voigtlander - yours truly in back, on board Queen Elizabeth as she sounds her siren departing Southampton, 1968)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

When I tested KII against Ektachome-X 5 years later, the EX had much the higher saturation, with a "normal" exposure (full tonal range).

• Like 1

Color photographic prints before digital disturbed me from an early age. The profound difference between prints and what I thought I saw made me question my vision. Eventually while going over family pictures my mother helped out. She was the artist of the family. One time I spoke up and said, "Mom that doesn't look like us. Nobody in our family is pink, yellow or orange", and she said, "Correct. The camera people don't know us. They may as well be from mars. Don't let it bother you."

My high school portrait wasn't bad. They did not shoot color then; the enlargements were hand colored. My girlfriends parents were upset that she looked so dark, more Asian Indian than of German descent. (Wait! This was back when there was talk of Aryans.) I wasn't surprised I looked so light. I'm guessing that if one had light eyes, they were white, otherwise darker. True 40's African Americans were hand colored something we kids could only guess was how photos worked  - lighter than realistic.  Oh, and everybody had a perfect complexion.

Cultural expectations

Later as an early photographer a pro told me that each year or so, big Kodak printers received a book of samples typifying complexions and hair colors for various regions. I never saw the books, but it would not surprise me. Besides the printers, those who hand colored the original high-school B&W prints used some similar regional guidelines.

A question for our old-timers: do you recall discussions in very early digital photography regarding various brands' preferences for color rendering? Some of my Asian friends were particularly disappointed by certain renderings. Either the compromises have been re-aligned or color sensing has improved, or we have changed expectations.  Dunno. Do you?

Steve, 

I think that just leads back to the same Instagram and Facebook pages. I suspect Kodak will have been rather discouraged by the negative reaction these images have generally received. On a rough tot up on Facebook, the ratio was about 5 negative to 1 positive comment. To sum up, what I feel, is that unless they can at least match Provia and Velvia for grain, colour balance and density, they have been wasting their time. I am however, very much more sanguine about the future of Fuji Film, having watched that film about their history and the views of their CEO. Of course, their CEO is not young and there is nothing to say his successor could decide overnight, to shut down all film production, given that it only produces 1% of their group profits. 

The processor I use in France, have said they have put considerable stocks of my favourite (and their favourite) Agfa Precisa 100CT reversal film into cold storage for customers. I think it will work on an exchange basis that you can opt to pay a bit extra to get a roll of Precisa back for every E6 film you send them for processing. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Andy, 

These various links all lead to the same shots on Instagram and Facebook, that Ian first posted on the 4th. I even went and bought a tin of Campbells chicken soup to check that my memory was not faulty and that the colour had not changed to what Kodak had posted - it hadn't, still the same bright red. Soup content is still the same as well - yerchhhhh! :)

Wilson

• 2 weeks later...

If I had been bothered to work from the DNG of my scan, I could have recovered the blown highlights and shadows but that was not my purpose of posting the photo. I chose the photo from the four rolls I took that day with the most garish colours I could find, solely to illustrate the intensity/saturation/accuracy of colour that Precisa is capable of, in comparison to the posted shots of Ektachrome, with washed out colours, that us older folk remember with little affection. The colours are also accurate with my nephew's shorts on the left hand side that pillar box red colour. The swimming pool is tiled with dark blue tiles and the water really does look that colour on a sunny day and the inflatable animals are that vile shade of pink. I did say there was no artistic merit which some people seem to have missed. 

Wilson