M10 Love (or lack of it)

Tragg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

39 minutes ago, farnz said:

Probably not, Andy.  As I understand it, a line of dead pixels is caused by one bad pixel that overspills and overfills the next pixel that overfills the next and an avalanche results that appears as a line of dead pixels.  If the software remap switches off the bad pixel then the avalanche stops and all the pixels in the dead line go back to capturing what they do and everything returns to normal with the loss of one (bad) pixel.

Pete.. 

I think that would certainly be the case for a CCD sensor, where sensor data is measured only at the edge, and the entire array is read by "shifting" towards that edge one pixel at a time. A bad pixel would taint data from later pixels shifted to the digitizer.

But the M10 has a CMOS sensor, where (I think) the readout is done in parallel--an entire row is copied to shared storage area at the edge, where it's digitized and read out. In CMOS, if a single row is "dead" means the row selector logic failed, but that the shared readout is still working (by virtue of the other rows showing up).

I'm no expert, however, and could be speaking from an improper orifice.

http://isl.stanford.edu/~abbas/ee392b/lect04.pdf

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by andyturk
grammar

54 minutes ago, andyturk said:

But the M10 has a CMOS sensor, where ...

Fair point, Andy, and, um, dunno either.

Pete.

PS, I enjoyed your "improper orifice" term, which I intend to brazenly steal. 😄

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I was doing a pro Bono shoot for a non-profit organization and due to poor lighting I had to shoot everything at ISO 3200. The M10 files look great. Noise is barely visible and skin tones are spot on. I'd never shoot at 3200 unless I had to, but it's good to know I have the option. The more I use these M10s the more I like them.

• Like 4

I have no complaints about the M10. An M10 was my first Leica, so I had no expectations. I wanted to buy a very nice pre-owned Summilux 50mm ASPH, at the nearby Leica/Nikon/Canon/Fuji/etc. dealer, and needed a  rectangular box to mount behind the lens. The better eye relief of the M10, compared to an M9 and M240, simplified the decision, as I wear eyeglasses. I later added a Monochrom 246, which made me appreciate the slimness of my M10, though the 246 is certainly not a burden.

The quieter shutter, of the M10-P,  would be nice, but that factor does not make me dislike the original M10, and I am not going to sell/trade in order to upgrade. 

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1

The only thing I don't like about my M10 ( also my first Leica camera ) is it's not the M10-P 😉 Seriously, I would love to have the M10-P's near silent shutter and touch screen. Icing on the cake to the great M10 IMO. But I'm happy I decided to spend money on more M glass instead and wait for the next gen M camera with the hopes the future will bring even better DR. 

My only fear waiting for the next gen M is that Leica may be tempted to thicken the M10 body style and add video 😱

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/29/2019 at 3:45 PM, fotografr said:

Yesterday I was doing a pro Bono shoot for a non-profit organization and due to poor lighting I had to shoot everything at ISO 3200. The M10 files look great. Noise is barely visible and skin tones are spot on. I'd never shoot at 3200 unless I had to, but it's good to know I have the option. The more I use these M10s the more I like them.

Yes, If we can get enough light saturation on the subject M10 can look pretty good 1600/3200. A big surprise for me when I first started to experiment with the M10 at those ISOs.

I love my M10 so much that I bought a second one. Loving the simplicity and excellent IQ using only Leica prime lenses.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 9:28 PM, LBJ2 said:

The only thing I don't like about my M10 ( also my first Leica camera ) is it's not the M10-P 😉 Seriously, I would love to have the M10-P's near silent shutter and touch screen. Icing on the cake to the great M10 IMO. But I'm happy I decided to spend money on more M glass instead and wait for the next gen M camera with the hopes the future will bring even better DR. 

My only fear waiting for the next gen M is that Leica may be tempted to thicken the M10 body style and add video 😱

Worse, there will be a Leica employee coming with each camera who will stand beside you and force you at gunpoint to actually use the Video...🙃

• Haha 2

On 5/25/2018 at 4:18 PM, 01af said:

When I first heard about the upcoming M10's primary features—ISO dial and slimmer body—I thought, yawn. Nice but no reason to upgrade from my already very nice M (Typ 240). But when it dawned to me that a slimmer body also will bring a better viewfinder, I ordered one. Today I couldn't be happier. Best digital M ever. Incredible how much better it is compared to M9 or M (Typ 240).

I thought the opposite.... I wanted it badly I thought it was as close to perfection as they could get.... I have my M9 which is great, don't like the shutter and the thickness.... M10 solves those 2 things.... I'm waiting for the prices to keep dropping probably another couple of years before I can get one..

3 hours ago, 35photo said:

I thought the opposite.... I wanted it badly I thought it was as close to perfection as they could get.... I have my M9 which is great, don't like the shutter and the thickness.... M10 solves those 2 things.... I'm waiting for the prices to keep dropping probably another couple of years before I can get one..

The thickness difference between M9 and M10 is not discernible. The M9 is also lighter than the M10.

Now, I do agree with your shutter comment although it never really bothers me on the M9M.

Edited by dkmoore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

HI all! I'm a Leica guy since last year. I own an M10 and I'm totally super happy with them. I still struggle with the 28mm frames, they are very close to the edge of the VF.

I'm picky when I'm composing. Maybe the 35mm is a way better because the frame is tighter ...  Don't you think?

9 minutes ago, Dennis Berti said:

HI all! I'm a Leica guy since last year. I own an M10 and I'm totally super happy with them. I still struggle with the 28mm frames, they are very close to the edge of the VF.

I'm picky when I'm composing. Maybe the 35mm is a way better because the frame is tighter ...  Don't you think?

M framing is never really precise, essentially optimized for one distance, which is 2m on the M10.  After lots of practice, one learns to judge framing without being dependent on exact frame lines.  Especially when, like you, you stick to one lens.  The real question is what focal length best accommodates your vision and style of shooting.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

If you like the 28mm view but want decent composition, just get the classic external viewfinders. Easier to see, much more accurate. AND very jewel-like and pretty, if one cares about that sort of thing. The greats who knew what they were doing used them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Burrows

http://luciaeggenhoffer.com/henri-cartier-bresson

https://www.casualphotophile.com/2019/05/13/five-famous-photographers-and-the-cameras-they-used-part-two/

https://ascmag.com/blog/johns-bailiwick/mary-ellen-mark-human-wise

That last is MEM with her rangefinder Mamiya 7 - she used an external finder for 28mm on her Leicas as well.

Edited by adan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Jeff S said:

After lots of practice, one learns to judge framing without being dependent on exact frame lines

I guess so ... looooot of practice

4 hours ago, Jeff S said:

The real question is what focal length best accommodates your vision and style of shooting

I'm a 35mm guys. I'm really dying to see how the frames look inside the VF ... I just saw it in the manual, but never live.

1 hour ago, adan said:

Wow, thank you so much for the links. I'll take a deep look and figure out more about Visoflex

1 hour ago, adan said:

If you like the 28mm view but want decent composition

I think I have it already decent 🙂 But I want a better one, and it's not easy with the 28mm 

3 hours ago, Dennis Berti said:

I'm a 35mm guys. I'm really dying to see how the frames look inside the VF ... I just saw it in the manual, but never live.

You have a frame line preview lever on your M10 that brings up all options.  The 35 lines are easier to see, but most importantly, if you’re already a 35 guy, end of story. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff S said:

if you’re already a 35 guy, end of story

Yes and not haha.. Yes, because if I would use only one lens to shoot everything, I'm sure it would be the 35mm. No, because I initially wanted a combo of two lenses, I decided to give a chance to the 28mm. And I'm very happy so far, very. It's just missing the 50mm ;-(

22 minutes ago, Dennis Berti said:

Yes and not haha.. Yes, because if I would use only one lens to shoot everything, I'm sure it would be the 35mm. No, because I initially wanted a combo of two lenses, I decided to give a chance to the 28mm. And I'm very happy so far, very. It's just missing the 50mm ;-(

Whatever works.  For me, it’s all 3....28,35 and 50... so I can choose a one or two lens working method for the day or for the project (or a MATE for all 3).  I wouldn’t go without the middle ground 35.  Bracketing focal lengths on two sides can sometimes seem like having my feet in the oven and my head in the fridge and concluding that, on average, I’m comfortable.  

Anyway, the main point in my prior post was to alert you to the preview lever.  No need to mount a 35mm lens (or to rely on your manual) to see what the 35 frame lines look like, as you’re shooting with whatever other lens.

Jeff

• Like 1