M10 Love (or lack of it)

Tragg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

26 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I think I clarified that already.  Many also prefer LED lit framelines at night or in dark environments.  I personally don’t care, having successfully used both film and digital Ms, starting in the early 80’s.  Never used an analog one.

Jeff

I grew up with the window illuminated frame lines but now with the M10 I like how they brighten in daytime and compensate (lower intensity) in low light. Smart move on Leica's part.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

The loss of the daylit VF lines (along with a couple of other things) was a major factor in my skipping the M240.

However, 5 years on, with no sign that Leica will ever restore them, my "grief" has faded - and I was willing to give them up for: better finder otherwise, higher ISO, quieter (yet more rapid) shutter, smaller size, and "almost M9" colors. In fact, no framelines visible is a good signal to me: "Turn the camera ON, dummy!"

But M10 front plates still look a bit "blank" to me - I may have to make some stickers of the serrated illumination window (scaled up to the larger M10 main window) and put them on. ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And if Leica ever restored the daylight illumination (hah!) in a special edition (M10-FL or whatever) I'd join the line, if nothing else changed - I'll take TWO.

9 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

I quite like the new framelines showing only when the camera is turned on - for some reason, it makes me check to see if the lens cap is still on ...

My friend, correct me if I am wrong; I think the little round window determines frame line illumination. No?

3 minutes ago, pico said:

My friend, correct me if I am wrong; I think the little round window determines frame line illumination. No?

I'm not sure.  The large round window at the front (with the lens cap) is for taking pictures 🤫

I've just taken my M10-D out, turned it on and covered the little round window with my finger - didn't seem to make much difference.  The manual describes it as a "Brightness sensor" - whether that's purely for the viewfinder or is part of the metering, I have no idea.  I assume it is for the viewfinder and the tramlines in some way ...

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The little round window is a brightness control for the focus patch and frame lines. If you cover it, as with viewfinder eyes on some lenses, frame lines will light up at a constant level instead of dimming/brightening in varied light.

Well, you still confused frame line distance optimization and virtual focus patch distance despite myriad posts explaining it. Maybe you should embrace repetition.  On any given day, I’d guess about 90% of forum posts have been covered before.  Just because...

Jeff

On 4/8/2019 at 11:53 PM, IkarusJohn said:

I'm not sure.  The large round window at the front (with the lens cap) is for taking pictures 🤫

I've just taken my M10-D out, turned it on and covered the little round window with my finger - didn't seem to make much difference.  The manual describes it as a "Brightness sensor" - whether that's purely for the viewfinder or is part of the metering, I have no idea.  I assume it is for the viewfinder and the tramlines in some way ...

It is multifunctional. It will control the frame line brightness, control the MTTL preflash setting and give a reference point for the aperture estimate in EXIF. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jaapv said:

It is multifunctional. It will control the frame line brightness, control the MTTL preflash setting and give a reference point for the aperture estimate in EXIF. 

Thanks, Jaap - I suspected there was more to it.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:53 PM, fotografr said:

Loved my M10, purchased just over two months ago, until I noticed today that I already have a row of dead pixels. I'm somewhat pissed off.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And now for an update, in case this ever happens to you. I contacted Kirsten at Leica AG and she asked me to send her an unprocessed DNG, which she forwarded to the technicians. Today I received a sensor remap via firmware update, installed it and completely eliminated the problem. The whole process took only a few days and my M10 never had to leave home. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, fotografr said:

And now for an update, in case this ever happens to you. I contacted Kirsten at Leica AG and she asked me to send her an unprocessed DNG, which she forwarded to the technicians. Today I received a sensor remap via firmware update, installed it and completely eliminated the problem. The whole process took only a few days and my M10 never had to leave home. :)

Interesting. So you *still* have a row of dead pixels on the sensor, but they gave you a custom update to simply remove that row from the output. What resolution is reported in the images after the fix? If it's the same, I wonder if they're doubling one of the other rows, or perhaps if there are "spare" rows built into the silicon.

18 minutes ago, andyturk said:

Interesting. So you *still* have a row of dead pixels on the sensor, but they gave you a custom update to simply remove that row from the output. What resolution is reported in the images after the fix? If it's the same, I wonder if they're doubling one of the other rows, or perhaps if there are "spare" rows built into the silicon.

Probably not, Andy.  As I understand it, a line of dead pixels is caused by one bad pixel that overspills and overfills the next pixel that overfills the next and an avalanche results that appears as a line of dead pixels.  If the software remap switches off the bad pixel then the avalanche stops and all the pixels in the dead line go back to capturing what they do and everything returns to normal with the loss of one (bad) pixel.

Pete.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, andyturk said:

I believe Pete is correct because the resolution is the same as it was before the fix. One dead pixel is what causes the whole row to go dead.

• Like 1