M10 Love (or lack of it)

Tragg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bought an M10 because my Monochrom got sensor disease. Worst decision in my life. I should have repair my Monochrom and keep it, instead of trade it in. 

Sadly I did not bond with M10. So I let it go. 

It is kinda very good M, but it lacks character. Unlike M9 or original M Monochrom, there is nothing to love in M10. Perfection is boring  😙

- Visoflex 020 is butt ugly and not state of the art.

- ISO dial proved unpractical

- too heavy, 80g heavier than M9 or film Ms

- poor battery life in live view  

- viewfinder is excellent 

- rangefinder is super reliable 

In the end, I gave up M cameras in favor of digital CL and Q cameras. Best decision in my life. Do not regret M10 at all. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Bought an M10 because my Monochrom got sensor disease. Worst decision in my life. I should have repair my Monochrom and keep it, instead of trade it in. 

It is kinda very good M, but it lacks character. Unlike M9 or original M Monochrom, there is nothing to love in M10. Perfection is boring  😙

In the end, I gave up M cameras in favor of digital CL and Q cameras. Best decision in my life. Do not regret M10 at all. 

I can agree with the most of this and did about the same. I stepped over to an SL which gives much more value for the money, especially because I still own my M9 and MM1. Lack of character though I could not detect in the M10, it did have character but on the wrong side: I found the colors too yellow and had much difficulties to get neutral images, especially with yellows themselves. 

• Like 1

Otto.f just select another Lightroom preset. 

Weird default Adobe preset which yield to über flashy yellow 

Monochrom original photos are so special and so sharp (in an excellent and beautiful way, like a 6x7 b&w negative). I should have not let it go. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

It's perfect. Although nothing is perfect. Everything will have some pain spots here and there.

What you can see from a forum is biased. People who like the M10 would probably just be enjoying it without yelling on a forum. While those suffer unfortunate QC issue or dislike some design features might just voice a bit more than those who loves it.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 1:35 PM, farnz said:

So ... you've blacked out the white Leica logo on the top deck but then added a red soft release with the Leica logo in white on it.  I'm struggling to understand what you're trying to achieve.

Pete.

so normally I have this M black version of the softrelease.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 1/13/2019 at 11:38 AM, nicci78 said:

When comparing to the M9, apples to apples, two of your 4 disadvantages would not apply, the Visoflex and battery drain with use of live view, i.e., when one uses each as a traditional RF machine.  LV is an option if needed (and helps with focus calibration checks). The M10 advantages, as you note, include the better VF and robust build, which means it is also quieter and better weather sealed. Yes, with some increased weight.

I own both the M10 and first Monochrom, which does indeed have special files.  But for b/w, the trade off is the much more flexible use of color channels for M10 PP compared to the more limited use of colored lens filters for the MM.  Oh, and the M10 produces color if needed. :)

Choices are good.  Whatever one prefers.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are no bad M cameras. Only great ones. Choose from M3 to M10 with confidence. Each one of them has some small drawbacks, but nobody is perfect. It’s part of their caracter. 

By the way, I has loved to use colour filtres with my Monochrom. So nice to use it as a film camera, and necessary to bring down exposure due to minimum 360 ISO

• 2 months later...

The M10 was my first Leica when I purchased it in November 2017 along with a few Leica lenses. I love it! It has been my main camera since then. I have only used my Fuji X system when I need long lenses or am concerned about extreme weather.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 1

I don't regret the M10 at all. I was in love as much as you can be with a Leica M9. There are a few things I miss:

* the analogue frame lines (I really loved these - always ready)

* slightly less weight

* maybe a little more bite to the colour images (not a big deal though)

But the M10's higher ISO performance has made a difference in where I can confidently photograph. Here are other advantages of the M10 over the M9 for me:

* better shadow detail

* great black and white conversion

* live view lets me use a polarizer in a normal way

* a little thinner

* the DNG files are better suited to the software I use (BreezeBrowser Pro)

I have no regrets with the M10.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Dan Bachmann said:

I don't regret the M10 at all. I was in love as much as you can be with a Leica M9. There are a few things I miss:

* slightly less weight

* maybe a little more bite to the colour images (not a big deal though)

But the M10's higher ISO performance has made a difference in where I can confidently photograph. Here are other advantages of the M10 over the M9 for me:

* better shadow detail

* great black and white conversion

* live view lets me use a polarizer in a normal way

* a little thinner

* the DNG files are better suited to the software I use (BreezeBrowser Pro)

I have no regrets with the M10.

I have pretty much the same experience and I'm very happy with my M10. But, having used it for more than a year now, I'm actually a little surprised how little it has really changed the way I use it when compared to the M9, even if there is significant improvement in several areas and new possibilities offered e.g. by live view and the Viso.

The M10 is simply the best digital rangefinder produced so far, but it doesn't seem to have produced such a massive wow effect that some previous models may have done. I think this is because the digital M has reached a certain level of maturity with the M10, although not perfection, and this is how it should be. There is of course always room for improvement, but it may well be that this will come in fairly small increments from now on.

• Like 2

Loved my M10, purchased just over two months ago, until I noticed today that I already have a row of dead pixels. I'm somewhat pissed off.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 1/13/2019 at 10:38 AM, nicci78 said:

Maybe not such a bad decision. My original MM produced fantastic images. I got the sensor corrosion, sent the camera in and got it back with a new sensor. The new sensor never gave me results like the original CCD and no amount of post processing could get me there. I'd be tempted to buy another MM1 with the original sensor, but I know it would only be a matter of time until the sensor corroded. My understanding is that they will all go bad at some point.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 6:05 PM, Dan Bachmann said:

Just to clarify, all Ms have the same mechanical frame line masks; none are electronically generated.  But the ones prior to the M240 were illuminated by an exterior window on the front top plate, while the subsequent versions are illuminated by LED.

Jeff

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Jeff S, Dan is right the always ready framelines are better. No need to wait for the camera to wake up.  

? My comment had nothing to do with better or worse (opinions vary); I was merely explaining how his terminology “analogue framelines” was misleading given the unchanged mechanical frame line masks. Choose the camera that has whatever illumination method you like; matters not to me.

The following frame line construction is essentially the same for all Ms...

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

We are just pointing, that older M has always on framelines, illuminated by a window. Which is somewhat really an analog device  

But since the M 262, framelines are illuminated by LED. Which is somewhat more digital, and requires to wait for the camera to start up or waking up from sleep to use it. 

Edited by nicci78

I think I clarified that already.  Many also prefer LED lit framelines at night or in dark environments.  I personally don’t care, having successfully used both film and digital Ms, starting in the early 80’s.  Never used an analog one.

Jeff