M10 Love (or lack of it)

Tragg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Best digital M camera to date I've had and sold the M9 and M240, but still have the Monochrom v1.

Most notable improvements that make it significantly better than previous colour digital Ms are:

1. Sensor output with respect to colour, dynamic range, improved higher ISO performance

2. ISO dial

3. Viewfinder

4. Size (the least important of these 4, but very nice)

5. Vastly improved EVF over that for the M240, not fabulous but enough to expand the utility of the M10

What would I want to improve it?

As mentioned above:

1. Virtual horizon.  Beyond me why it was removed, I use mine for landscape and it further refines the use of ultrawides with the Visoflex.

2. Better battery life (but that are quite light so it's no big deal to pack another one or two if needed.

3. Just a few more MP.

Best digital M camera to date I've had and sold the M9 and M240, but still have the Monochrom v1.

Most notable improvements that make it significantly better than previous colour digital Ms are:

2. ISO dial

Yes, the ISO dial is nice, but I fail to understand why I have to break my nail for lifting it up before I can rotate it.  Overdesigned.

Charles

• Like 1

Yes, the ISO dial is nice, but I fail to understand why I have to break my nail for lifting it up before I can rotate it.  Overdesigned.

Charles

Yes, on some lenses I accidentally turn the aperture ring all the time (which can be very annoying). I don't understand why the ISO dial should be more important to prevent from unintentional operation.

Edited by evikne

I think some people's "research" amounted to "does it say Leica on the front?" Or they made the age-old mistake of thinking a rangefinder camera is "just a cuter, smaller, lighter SLR" - which happened even with the film cameras. Or hoped they could cobble together a "smaller" SL via add-ons like the Viso EVF.

Now that they've found out the reality, they complain, to "lobby" or pressure Leica to change the M10 into what they really want.

I like the M10 a lot - but then, I liked the M8 and M9, when they were the only optical-rangefinder digital options. The M10 is just an evolutionary improvement. If I could wish one change in the M10, it would be a step backwards - restoring at least the option of the natural-light "solar-powered" frameline illumination (3rd front window). But after several generations without it (240, 240MM, 240M-P, 262, M10), I'm guessing that train has left the station, and the space is taken up with electronics now, helping make the M10 slimmer.

My Leica M2....errr....M10....errr.....M2.....errr.....M10......

attachicon.gifM10M2M10.jpg

Couldn’t agree more. For me these were the reasons to swap my M10 for an SL (being the first real good alternative for the R, because I’m hooked to some R lenses) and return to my beloved combi of M9 and Monochrome1 as the best digital M’s to my taste. The M is and has always been a street camera and I see no value in more than 18Mp and hybrid constructions to emulate general system camera’s. Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have never had any problem positioning the iso dial

Neither have I, although I would have it find more sexy if it would have been positioned as the film return button on the f/e M6. Edited by Gobert

• 4 weeks later...

But there's still many improvements that can be made:

5. Magnesium chassis. Brass is nice, but it's unnecessarily heavy. This is a digital camera, it's not ment to last for decades. Just use a lighter but just as sturdy alternative and trim the weight down to 500-550g.

Just an FYI. The M10 is constructed with a Magnesium Chassis. Only the top and bottom plates are Brass.

Just an FYI. The M10 is constructed with a Magnesium Chassis. Only the top and bottom plates are Brass.

Yes, that's right. I ment the top and bottom plates should also be made of magnesium to save weight, and probably cost too.

You mean like the M6 with a light metal top which caused chicken pox on the chrome? 

It should be possible to avoid that with more modern manufacturing capabilities.

If not, then just use aluminium top and bottom plate like on the M262, which shaved about 80 grams of weight of the camera compared to the M240.

Which, for the M10, would mean a weight incl. battery of 580g. (M262 was 600g incl. battery, M240 was 680g incl. battery).

just use aluminium top and bottom plate like on the M262, which shaved about 80 grams of weight of the camera

I would also prefer a lighter body but I will never buy an aluminum M.  Brass does it for me while aluminum is my least favorite metal.  I'm surprised Leica has yet to make a carbon fiber M. 

• Like 1

The M10 is the best digital M, and my favorite digital camera I've ever owned - 

However, I think they missed the mark with the sensor (dynamic range and resolution specifically - low light is okay, still not great) and that it could and should be better. Everything else, the battery, the buttons the whatever, are just fine and completely usable if not near perfect.

My main point of frustration has been to do with QC. I have owned an M8 - that came with issues and my M10 came with even more. It was 2 trips to back to Leica for repairs. I feel I should have been given a replacement and they should have called it a day but instead I went months without a brand new tool - and I wasn't alone in this. It is quite frustrating. The M10 as designed, when working as it should, is hard to fault - except for the sensor just a little bit. 

I'm surprised Leica has yet to make a carbon fiber M. 

Now don't go giving Leica Marketing any ideas! (CF top, bottom plates and "wrap") ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(Fictional, thus far)

Edited by adan
  • Like 5

• 6 months later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I love it. I changed a couple of things ofcourse. Thumb support, Softrelease, Rope strap, but also made de text on top Black 😉 (permanent marker). And from my M6 the carrier for extra Lens.

8 minutes ago, PasMichiel said:

but also made de text on top Black 😉 (permanent marker)

So ... you've blacked out the white Leica logo on the top deck but then added a red soft release with the Leica logo in white on it.  I'm struggling to understand what you're trying to achieve.

Pete.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Just now, farnz said:

So ... you've blacked out the white Leica logo on the top deck but then added a red soft release with the Leica logo in white on it.  I'm struggling to understand what you're trying to achieve.

Pete.

😉 haha yes, i'm not sure. I now have a black rope strap (was not in stock) and the black M softrelease (and use this one for breastpin). Now I only change the strap for time to time.

• Thanks 1