M10 Love (or lack of it)

Tragg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You might be able to before too long.  NiteCore already delivers USB chargers for the M8 (and therefore M9), M240, SL, and D-Lux 109 and has said that it will release a M10 charger although no time scales have yet emerged.

Pete.

I still have to bring the charger. I'd prefer to just be able to plug a USB cable directly into the camera and charge the battery that way.

I charge all of my other devices with powerbanks. Charging the camera with the same powerbank without the need for specific chargers would be a huge relief.

Most other cameras have adopted this feature in the last couple of years.

Edited by indergaard

I still have to bring the charger. I'd prefer to just be able to plug a USB cable directly into the camera and charge the battery that way.

I charge all of my other devices with powerbanks. Charging the camera with the same powerbank without the need for specific chargers would be a huge relief.

Most other cameras have adopted this feature in the last couple of years.

I would like to have that facility too although I suspect that the weight and size of the camera would increase and I'm not prepared to put up with that compromise.

The NiteCore charger* is only 30 x 50 x 85 mm and very light at only 52g so I wouldn't find it a problem to carry around and it would mean that I could charge a M10 battery from a powerbank on the hoof and have it charged and ready to swap into the M10 rather than have to wait for the M10 to charge off the powerbank.  YMMV of course. *Measured from my NiteCore M8/9 charger.

Pete.

I think it is the best Leica digital I have used yet and I have owned and used all the major revisions of them. I really do love it and use it a ton.

I think it is fine on batteries and I like the size of them over the appliance sized ones for the M240 a lot better. I average 600-800 per charge and have routinely seen a bit over 1,000.

I love the M10, it is pretty much perfect for me.

• Like 1

I would like to have that facility too although I suspect that the weight and size of the camera would increase and I'm not prepared to put up with that compromise.

Let's look at phone chargers. They are largely 'dumb' and the phone regulates charging. Why cannot Leica do the same?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica won’t charge an M battery in the camera. Period.

Won't is different than Can't.

I agree, Leica probably doesn't want to, for various reasons. But it would be nice. I have experienced traveling and having my Leica charger stop working. Finding a Leica charger in brick and mortar stores is not easy, and Leica dealers aren't all over the map, so to speak... Being able to plug a power bank directly to the camera would be a life safer in those situations. It would also be a life safer if you lost or forgot your power adapter while traveling internationally, although those adapters are much easier to find compared to Leica compatible battery chargers.

Edited by indergaard
  • Like 1

There is ONE thing about the M10 that frustrates me:

When looking through the viewfinder, if I do not position my eye square in the middle of the frame, the frame lines get skewed. For those of you who own the camera try it. Look through the finder and move your eye right or left while watching the frame lines, preferably with something like a 35mm lens attached. What happens when you do this, the lines do not remain parallel to the edge, the move a bit. This makes it almost impossible to know for sure whether these frame lines are actually indicating whether the camera is level. I have to consciously make sure my eye is dead center in the finder. Only then are the frame lines correct and level and useful in determining whether the camera is level with the ground. It is frustrating as it takes the extra effort to make sure my eye is centered. Please don't suggest using a level on the camera as this is not what this camera is all about. Also, remember that the M10 no longer has an electronic spirit level. Even if it did, I wouldn't want to have to rely on using live view in order to make sure the camera was level with the ground. I do own the EVF but honestly hate using it even though it does indeed make it much easier to insure that the camera is level.

I have compared the M10 viewfinder with the viewfinder in the M240. The same thing does happen in that camera if I shift my eye in the viewfinder, however since the finder is smaller in the 240 (and M-P) the movement of the frame lines is very slight and of no real consequence. But since the M10 finder is bigger it does present this problem and very often results in objects ending up needing to be corrected in post because they are not level in the photograph.

Anyone else notice this? Or am I just way picky about it?

Edited by jay968

When looking through the viewfinder, if I do not position my eye square in the middle of the frame, the frame lines get skewed. [...]

No you are not picky at all. Like in many things, people who use the viewfinder for a long time accommodate such behavior: our brains adjust

This makes it almost impossible to know for sure whether these frame lines are actually indicating whether the camera is level.

My greatest wish for a future M is a level in the viewfinder. 

Give me an option to color the framelines green when the camera is level!

• Like 5

When looking through the viewfinder, if I do not position my eye square in the middle of the frame, the frame lines get skewed. For those of you who own the camera try it. Look through the finder and move your eye right or left while watching the frame lines, preferably with something like a 35mm lens attached. What happens when you do this, the lines do not remain parallel to the edge, the move a bit. This makes it almost impossible to know for sure whether these frame lines are actually indicating whether the camera is level. I have to consciously make sure my eye is dead center in the finder. Only then are the frame lines correct and level and useful in determining whether the camera is level with the ground. It is frustrating as it takes the extra effort to make sure my eye is centered. Please don't suggest using a level on the camera as this is not what this camera is all about. Also, remember that the M10 no longer has an electronic spirit level. Even if it did, I wouldn't want to have to rely on using live view in order to make sure the camera was level with the ground. I do own the EVF but honestly hate using it even though it does indeed make it much easier to insure that the camera is level.

I have compared the M10 viewfinder with the viewfinder in the M240. The same thing does happen in that camera if I shift my eye in the viewfinder, however since the finder is smaller in the 240 (and M-P) the movement of the frame lines is very slight and of no real consequence. But since the M10 finder is bigger it does present this problem and very often results in objects ending up needing to be corrected in post because they are not level in the photograph.

Yes, this has been discussed here. Especially important to center one’s view on the M10. I don’t mind the need for good technique to take advantage of that beautiful VF.

Jeff

It might have helped to read the relevant post in the FAQ. This has been the case since 1954...

I have used Leica M for a couple of years (M9 and M10), but have never noticed this. For me, the viewfinder is primarily a tool to set the focus where I want. The framing is only something I do very approximately, and I make sure to have enough margins so I can fine tune the crop in post.

• Like 2

I love my M10.

I was dismayed by the thickness of the M8 when I first held it, though many years later I purchased an M246. The feel of the M10 is almost perfect for me.

m

• Like 2

600-800 per charge? I guess you shoot raw+jpeg, so the counter includes both.

I think it is the best Leica digital I have used yet and I have owned and used all the major revisions of them. I really do love it and use it a ton.

I think it is fine on batteries and I like the size of them over the appliance sized ones for the M240 a lot better. I average 600-800 per charge and have routinely seen a bit over 1,000.

I love the M10, it is pretty much perfect for me.