Tragg

M10 Love (or lack of it)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone here actually like their M-10? Most of the comments I read seem negative. One thing that strikes me is how many complaints regard features of the camera that are integral to its design. I would have imagined that purchasers would do a little more research before parting with several thousand dollars for a body and lens? Leica makes other models and pro quality cameras are available from several other manufacturers. I bought my M-10 because I wanted a digital camera that felt like my much loved M2 and M3. And yes, I'm happy with it. 

Yes, I'm content with mine. I also wanted a camera as much like my M4 / M6 as possible, when I found the M9, and was very satisfied with it, but found it harder to focus accurately, and it did feel "thick". I added the M10 as it does everything I want, and does it very well. And as I like small lenses the high ISO results let me use my 2.5 Summarits in all lighting conditions. No Complaints.

When I first heard about the upcoming M10's primary features—ISO dial and slimmer body—I thought, yawn. Nice but no reason to upgrade from my already very nice M (Typ 240). But when it dawned to me that a slimmer body also will bring a better viewfinder, I ordered one. Today I couldn't be happier. Best digital M ever. Incredible how much better it is compared to M9 or M (Typ 240).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M-10 is an extraordinary camera; I have two of them (but then, I shoot for a living). For me, the most significant improvement is ISO performance. Second, the ISO dial (making changes without having to dive into menus is a big deal). Third, the improved viewfinder. Fourth, size. I don't shoot everything with the M's, but for most of my events, I do.

Tom

Basically, unless someone is having a defect/repair issue with the M10, the rest of the owners are offering nothing but praise.  I test-drove an M10 and liked it fine, just not enough to want to upgrade from the M240.  I didn't find anything significantly better about the viewfinder (in fact I didn't find anything better about the M240's finder than the M9 I upgraded from, although the forum was full of accounts from people who thought the M240's viewfinder was much better).  High ISO in the M240 is already more than I ever use, I'm fine with setting ISO via menu, and I'm so used to the thickness and lack of frame preview that I don't care anymore about it.  For the $8000 it would cost me to switch 2 bodies, plus new batteries and EVF's, I could take a really nice vacation, or buy a really nice watch that won't depreciate like a digital camera does.  But that's saying nothing bad about the M10.  If someone offered me a straight-across trade I wouldn't turn it down. 

I think some people's "research" amounted to "does it say Leica on the front?" Or they made the age-old mistake of thinking a rangefinder camera is "just a cuter, smaller, lighter SLR" - which happened even with the film cameras. Or hoped they could cobble together a "smaller" SL via add-ons like the Viso EVF.

Now that they've found out the reality, they complain, to "lobby" or pressure Leica to change the M10 into what they really want.

I like the M10 a lot - but then, I liked the M8 and M9, when they were the only optical-rangefinder digital options. The M10 is just an evolutionary improvement. If I could wish one change in the M10, it would be a step backwards - restoring at least the option of the natural-light "solar-powered" frameline illumination (3rd front window). But after several generations without it (240, 240MM, 240M-P, 262, M10), I'm guessing that train has left the station, and the space is taken up with electronics now, helping make the M10 slimmer.

My Leica M2....errr....M10....errr.....M2.....errr.....M10......

Overall I'm very satisfied with the M10. It's not like there's a lot of options to choose from in the digital rangefinder world, so... What we get is what we get.

- I'm happy about the colors from the M10, the issues with the reds on the M240 has been fixed.

- I love the color rendering on the M10 actually, which is the biggest reason I use it. It's impossible to re-create the signature look from the M10 to any other camera I own.

- I like the new slimmer formfactor.
- I don't like the new battery capacity. My A7rIII with all it's wizardry (IBIS, constant EVF, and so on) lasts about twice as long on a single battery. And side by side, the batteries aren't that different in physical size and weight.

- I like the new viewfinder size: I am noticing an improvement in focusing accuracy.

- I do NOT like the removal of the spirit-level. Such a simple but tremendously useful feature! Simplicity for simplicity's sake went a bit too far on that one!

- I like the malleability from the M10's files.

- I like the ISO dial.

- I still wish it was lighter. Like 600g maximum with battery and SD card.

- I really wish I could charge the battery via USB-C. This is tremendously useful on my A7rIII, and it would be much more useful on the M10 due to the reduced battery life.

It's not a perfect camera. Not nearly. But as I said - there's not many options to choose from.
It is the best digital M yet however. It's not like I love the M10 specifically. I just love using M-based rangefinders. Be it an M10, MP, M6, or M3. I love it because of the shooting experience not because of the technical aspects of the cameras.

But there's still many improvements that can be made:

1. Better battery life. Just use better cells and retain the same size, and use more energy efficient electronics. Other manufacturers can do it so it is possible.

2. Spirit level. Hello!!!

3. USB charging.

4. An improved 30MP sensor. I feel 36-42MP is unnecessary on an M. But 30MP would be an improvement up from 24, and I think most M lenses easily would resolve 30MP. 30MP is also easily handheld-able, unlike the much higher resolutions.

5. Magnesium chassis. Brass is nice, but it's unnecessarily heavy. This is a digital camera, it's not ment to last for decades. Just use a lighter but just as sturdy alternative and trim the weight down to 500-550g.

6. Price level should be around $5000, especially since all these features have been removed. A simple and "all essentials" camera without almost any features doesn't belong in a higher price bracket than the Leica SL! Hello!!

Edited by indergaard

5. Magnesium chassis. Brass is nice, but it's unnecessarily heavy. This is a digital camera, it's not ment to last for decades. Just use a lighter but just as sturdy alternative and trim the weight down to 500-550g.

6. Price level should be around $5000, especially since all these features have been removed. A simple and "all essentials" camera without almost any features doesn't belong in a higher price bracket than the Leica SL! Hello!!

+1!!!!! Edited by Fgcm

- I really wish I could charge the battery via USB-C. This is tremendously useful on my A7rIII, and it would be much more useful on the M10 due to the reduced battery life.

You might be able to before too long.  NiteCore already delivers USB chargers for the M8 (and therefore M9), M240, SL, and D-Lux 109 and has said that it will release a M10 charger although no time scales have yet emerged.

Pete.

“30MP is also easily handheld-able, unlike the much higher resolutions“ was mentioned above.

Certainly the size of the pixels matter, given the smaller they are the more likely camera shake is visible.

However - after having witnessed Leicas with the same size pixel (6 micron) for the S / M / SL .....we now have the CL that has significantly smaller pixel size. The sensor of a 24mp apsc equates to around 50mp when it’s full frame.

I don’t see anyone complaining at all about the small pixel size of the CL, and by extension, I wouldn’t expect any different issues with a c 50mp full frame given that’s what the CL’s pixel size is already equating to.

Edited by Jon Warwick

Yes, I very much love my M10.  We're a good match. Like me, it is neither perfect nor always that easy to get along with.  Keeps things interesting. 

Edited by Tailwagger

Before the M10 I was using the 262 and looking back at the files I'm not convinced that the newer sensor gives better results. I had almost forgotten that we did at one time have an M with a horizon line – a real boon on the Q. Is it really impossible that it can't be instated on the M10? (I did appreciate the thinner body and with the proper dioptres focusing is marginally better than ever.)

I love my M10 too. My real gripe with the M10 is that it feels so much better than the M240 in my hands that I feel retrograde every time I use my MM (Typ 246)... can't wait for an M10 MM to drop. 

I love the M240, and still look at photos I took with it and love the rendering, but I like the M10 even more... the handling, the focusing, the button layout and the menu system are all a big step forward for me, appreciating that such things are largely subjective.  

I wonder about the complaints of brass body weight. It never concerned me, and I am a composite-fiber enthusiast for so many things. The heft of an M contributes to steadiness, helps defeat movement due to heartbeat or tremor. This has been true since I was 22 years-old to today at 72 years-old. (As an experiment in process I loaded up one M9 with RRS base and brackets to increase weight. All is good!)

Maybe I was born too early to appreciate the virtues of light-weight. So be it.

The M10 is an amazing camera overall. Nothing else that can fit with three lenses into a small bag the size of a boutique box of Kleenex offers such great pleasure in use, or such high image quality. It’s not perfect, and some sensor improvements and other improved or new features will likely be welcomed in the M11, even among those who currently don’t need these enhancements.

It’s less common to read “I love my M10” posts than M10 complaints because this is an internet forum