Buying a Leica M9

Geoff Marshall

Hi all

I’m looking at buying a M9 but don’t want to get stung with a dodgy sensor so looking for advice, eg how do you know if it’s a second gen sensor or how much of a ticking time bomb is the original type sensor. Any information would be very appreciated.

Geoff

If this worries you then the best way to be assured that you are buying a camera with a replaced sensor (of the later type) is to buy from a reputable dealer who states this and supplies a decent warranty. I don't think that anyone can tell you whether any individual sensor is in fact going to fail so a warranty and assurance that the sensor has been replaced with a version which won't corrode is the best you can do. Enjoy your M9 when you get it, they are great cameras.

• Like 1

As said, I also think the M9 is a great camera. If it helps, I had my sensor replaced in January 2017 with the 'new' sensor, so any done in 2017 should be fine, and probably the back end of 2016.

• Like 2

Hi all

I’m looking at buying a M9 but don’t want to get stung with a dodgy sensor so looking for advice, eg how do you know if it’s a second gen sensor or how much of a ticking time bomb is the original type sensor. Any information would be very appreciated.

Geoff

The "new" sensor was announced in June 2015 and around October that year they began fitting them. 

The new sensor required updated firmware which was the early "tell tale", there have been updates since to firmware which now works on both Mk1 and Mk2 so that ID marker has gone, new firmware adjusts for either sensor. 

It is possible to look at the hidden data in the

service menu of the M9 AT YOUR OWN RISK (if you alter settings you can be in trouble with functions if you only look and then close no issues)

Power on

Delete -> up (2x) -> down (4x) -> left (3x) -> right (3x) -> Info

Cleared by turning the camera off.

Scroll down the display and under Hardware IDs you should see something like:

CCD ID 15, CCD Board 2, Control BRD 2, M16CID 0. (my bold)

The CCD ID of new sensors is 15 and 16 (thought to be the year but not proven) 5 and 8 and 11 are old sensors, the MM has a different code. All anecdotal and unconfirmed by Leica but owners have dates returned and data accessed, this despite the sometimes vague Leica paperwork which often does not clearly state what was done.

Of course a phone call to Leica with the serial number will allow them to disclose the camera repair history.

​Note some sellers state "new sensor fitted" but they mean the damaged original Mk1 sensor was indeed replaced but until the Mk2 was introduced Leica replaced with just another Mk1 sensor which was prone to the same fault and indeed many have had the sensor replaced twice. 

Leica said that some M9 sensors could be affected, not that all would be, and never confirmed the conditions that could cause the deterioration. It is entirely possible that an M9 with an original sensor may never develop the problem but IMHO a purchase of am M9 with MK1 sensor should have the replacement cost factored into the price. Note also a camera returned from Leica with a MK2 sensor will also have been thoroughly checked over and meet all specs.

Given the number of M9 cameras sold and despite the waiting lists only a fraction of the bodies have had sensors replaced so you can speculate this is because they don't have the problem and never will  have, not yet developed the problem but probably will develop it, or have it already but the owners don't notice, or do and clone out the affected areas if only minor. I know that's no help but that is the position.
Buying from a reputable dealer with a known service history to the camera with paperwork to authenticate should you wish to re-sell is the sensible way forward. 

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just to let all the members who gave me advice on the M9 know I ordered one from a dealer today with censor replaced in May this year. Now I can’t wait to get out and do some photography with it. I’m just surprised her indoors agreed to the purchase so I’m expecting her hitting me with something in the near future

• Like 2

Hi

Just to let all the members who gave me advice on the M9 know I ordered one from a dealer today with censor replaced in May this year. Now I can’t wait to get out and do some photography with it. I’m just surprised her indoors agreed to the purchase so I’m expecting her hitting me with something in the near future

Welcome Arfur Daley! Do post some results and take part in the forums, there is an awful lot of good advice at your fingertips (and maybe some not so good advice too!).