Using a DSLR or Leica M lens for telephoto (say, 135mm and up)

david.kize

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I seem to personally live within the 21-50 range myself on my Ms, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a 90 or 135mm if I needed one for the type of work that I do. I've been somewhat missing tight compositions so that might happen in the future. I would PROBABLY want to get the EVF for the M10 if I was to use lenses that long with any regularity, but I do think that it is indeed possible to utilize them without the aid of the external EVF. 

I know Ralph Gibson has recently been doing a lot of work with the 135mm on his own M10. You can see some of it here: https://lfi-online.de/ceemes/en/blog/slideshow-ralph-gibson-1430.html

David,

Remember, to be fully functional the Nikkor lenses have to be the older models that have an aperture ring on them!  

For the 135 M lens, the 020 viewfinder would come in handy, since as you said, holding the rig at arm's length to focus/frame would not be practical.  I have found the viewfinder very helpful for the two extreme focal lengths I have; 135mm and 21mm, and also for the old 105mm Mico Nikkor I use occasionally.

That's not entirely true, I have a Novoflex Nikon to Leica M adapter that allows aperture control for newer G lenses. Ironically I don't have any of those but I do use the adpater for my 55mm f/2.8 Micro which I just adore, it's such a sweet lens. 

• Like 1

David,

If one day you can, try R lenses like a cheap for Leica Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180 with adapter R to M (even with x2 Apo-Extender-R is usable at 1/1000s or 1/2000s hand held).

Only less enjoying is "time parallax" when Visoflex 020 used on M10 on fast moving subjects.

+1

180 APO 3.4 (with optional X2APO) is my long lens solution with M240. Outside fast autofocus usage, it is not only adequate but excellent.

Is anybody who has both a Leica M 135mm and an equivalent focal length with a DSLR or APS-C camera, happy with the Leica 135? That is, where you have a choice to cover the 135mm range, do you usually use your Leica M lens?

There seems to be a consensus so far that the M10 is best at 24-90mm.

I have both. 135 TE which allows RF and multiple 135s and 180s from DSLRs. I used to use 135 TE earlier but now switched to DSLR lenses. Mainly because my preference of shooting subject has changed. Now I use 135 for close up flowers etc and MFD is important. If I had been shooting mainly landscapes or portraits at a distance then I would have preferred 135 TE since it is so easy to RF focus.

Also for me 135mm FL is becoming less useful since I either prefer 90mm or longer (180+).

It all depends on your preference of photographic subject.

• Like 1

I have both a 135/2.8 Elmarit and a 135 TE which I use on my M10 and Monochrom. However, once acquiring the 135 TE, my 135 Elmarit sits unused in a case. The 135 TE is a wonderful lens on the M10. This lens is small, light and sharp. And while I do not use this lens very often, having it in my bag represents far less weight than carrying a Nikon body along with any of the longer Nikkors. Were I into shooting birds or other subjects requiring long lenses, I'd choose another type of camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

There seem to be more issues here than DSLR vs RF for longer focal lengths.  Recently I've been playing with a less is more approach to landscape work and have tried working the the 5D4 I use with long lenses (it's a remarkable machine) with the L series mkII 24-105 f4 lens.  I THOUGHT this would give me more flexibility for landscape and travel - and that the file size and excellent latitude from the 5D4 would be advantageous.  

The problem has been that although the Canon set up does give flexibility, it's HEAVY (>1.82 kg body and lens combined) and so bulky, and I'm not impressed by the image quality from the 24-105 - even though it's image stabilized and newly designed. 

An M10, by contrast, is only .94 kg with the 35 summicron asph (1.2 kg if I add a 90 macro f4 - my travel long lens if I'm not using the 135 A-T - I'm like Adan in loving this lens...). AND it gives much sharper images than the 24-105.

Of course - if you want to use prime tele-lenses or high quality lenses like the Canon L 70-200 f2.8 IS mk2 a DSLR is the only option.  But if you can live within the 16-135 range that the M offers, IMHO it's difficult to beat.

Some pictures tell the story:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M10 images: https://flic.kr/s/aHskzJF2vH

Canon 5D4 images: https://flic.kr/s/aHskzJF2vH

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 1

I think it has a lot to do with ones personality. I don’t like compromise a lot, so I always choose what I consider the best tool for the job. So I limit The M10 to 21mm to 90mm. My Nikon D800 for serious tele and macro work and my Fuji XPro 2 to travel light and flexibly. I have had no inclination to get rid of any of my equipment. My Leica X2 gets used, and I just ordered a Leica C-Lux for pocket stuffing when going very light. But that is me. Some people are a one camera system type. I guess I wish I was, but I really enjoy having the perfect tool for the job.

JD

Edited by JDFlood

Of course - if you want to use prime tele-lenses or high quality lenses like the Canon L 70-200 f2.8 IS mk2 a DSLR is the only option. 

Now you have me really puzzled. Where do these many thousands of wildlife shots on my computer come from ???

I think it has a lot to do with ones personality. I don’t like compromise a lot, so I always choose what I consider the best tool for the job. So I limit The M10 to 21mm to 90mm. My Nikon D800 for serious tele and macro work and my Fuji XPro 2 to travel light and flexibly. I have had no inclination to get rid of any of my equipment. My Leica X2 gets used, and I just ordered a Leica C-Lux for pocket stuffing when going very light. But that is me. Some people are a one camera system type. I guess I wish I was, but I really enjoy having the perfect tool for the job.

JD

Some people are “one camera system” type since it is complex to shoot with different types in the same shooting session. The controls are different, files are different, accessories are different. I would rather carry one system and accept the limitations. For me it liberated me from focus on equipment so that I can focus on subject.

• Like 1