Using m39 lenses on my M10

LikesLife

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. Used a Leitz M39 to Leica m Adapter on my M10 with a summaron 35/2.8 lens. The rangefinder coupling is not working and my M10 terminates the liveview witin seconds and sets back the manual lens selection to ‚auto‘. Does anybody have an explanation/solution? Thx a lot!

Hmmm - On the M10 I've used a Leitz LTM adapter with a variety of LTM (m39) 50mm lenses (Summarit f/1.5, Canon f/1.8, Nikkor f/1.4) with no trouble. Perfect RF connection and focusing.

Can't speak to the live-view terminating, since I never use LV - that may or may not be a "known bug" due to the LTM adapter having a cutout in front of where the lens detection sensors are on the camera (lower right as seen from the front). Camera thinks there is no lens mounted at all - and terminates Live-View to protect the camera sensor.

I believe many “ltm” 2.8 Summarons were originally made as goggled (M3) lenses with an M adapter “permanently” installed from the factory, and the focus cam will not be correct without the goggles. The rf patch will still move, but will not agree with accurate focus. Could this be your RF issue?

Andy is likely right about a “cut-out” style adapter leaving the lens detection uncovered. You need an adapter that is not cut out in this area. There are several on the market, and some can be coded to identify the lens.

Thx so much for your rapid response:

@TomB .... I have checked it and agree that some summarons obviously will properly focus with goggles only, Thx for providing this information.

@Adan .... have ordered a Voigtländer Adapter now with different cutouts and will update you whether it will work (or not ;-)

Thx again and I wish you a great weekend

Just received an answer of the Leica Service Team:

...... vermutlich wird das „Lesefeld“ am Kamerabajonett durch den Adapter nicht richtig abgedeckt. Eine Modifikation ist hier aber nicht möglich. Ein Trick, den mir ein anderer Kunde verraten hat: Bei Benutzung des Adapters das Fenster mit einem weißen Blättchen oder Klebeband komplett abdecken, dann wird ein nichtcodiertes Objektiv erkannt. Klingt eigentümlich, soll aber funktionieren. Einer unserer Techniker hat mir das gerade bestätigt. ..... Tut mir leid, dass ich Ihnen eine andere Möglichkeit nicht anbieten kann.

Thanks to Leica for immediate response. Thus, TomB is absolutely right. Will try a different adapter solution.

Best greetings and a nice weekend