Leica meeting in Rotterdam on August 18th 2018

I'm in for a walk though not for dinner, as I'll be going to the fireworks and maybe the street party in Hellevoetsluis in the evening.

Might I suggest meeting up at Engels? (next to the Central Station)

I'm in for a walk though not for dinner, as I'll be going to the fireworks and maybe the street party in Hellevoetsluis in the evening.

Might I suggest meeting up at Engels? (next to the Central Station)

may I suggest Nationale Nederlanden Douwe Egberts Café opposite  of the big square to Engels ( at the Tram stop )  , they have a long table we could all sit on and nice light see:

But as I'm not in this organisation you can disregard all my remarks.

A very nice alternative in the morning is L'Ouest. Nice enourage and the coffee is about € 1,- cheaper that in the station area; it's a five minutes walk from the Central Station.:

https://pauljoostenfotograaf.smugmug.com/Street-Scenes/Rotterdam-Op-weg-naar-LOuest/i-hJHj4vC

http://www.louest.nl

Edited by Paulus

Thanks for these nice builds. 

My first choice is Het Nieuwe Instituut at the Museum Park (the former NAi, architecture museum) with its spacious coffeeshop and good location. All art institutes deserve every support.

Because there is a parking garage opposite with a day pass ; and the option of free parking at Kralingse Zoom & 12 min. metro ride with a P&R ticket which is very convenient. Its also a 10 min walk from the Central Station, and there is a tram to around the corner - I hope this caters for Jaap.

Then secondly I love the top floor cafe of het Groothandelsgebouw at the Central Station but it seems it is not open in the morning (the only thing I found online is the Suicide Club there opening at 17:00, :huh: what about loners during the day?? this puzzles me)  - anyway I will go there and check out if the cafe is open.  (Engels on the ground floor is also my wifes favorite.) Here is a picture I took from the roof : 

27419855416_8135d2b9a3_c.jpgSelfie vanaf het dak van het Groothandelsgebouw, Rotterdam

Advantage: great view! 

So all options are still open. 

albert

• Like 1

10 minutes  walk is fine. I'm not driving into Rotterdam and paying through the nose for parking when I can do a P&R in Hoogvliet and be at the Central Station within 15 minutes. What metro station is het Nieuwe Instituut (line D, Spijkenisse-central station)?

Edit: I see, I'll just walk from Beurs.

• 2 weeks later...

The plans for August the 18thare as follows:

The theme is the skyline, the waterfront and the scenic harbours of Rotterdam

10:30 - meet and greet in Martcafé in the Markthal. This is in the right wing, on the corner of the Markthal.

42817019674_89a88e7cab_c.jpg

Look at the Markthal from the inside and outside. Walk via the Kubuswoningen and the Wijnhaven to the Leuvehaven

Take a Watertaxi with a boat ride to have a view of the skyline of Rotterdam from the Maas river, and disembark at Hotel New York. Each boat has a 12 person capacity. 

43534419221_12af73a0f0_z.jpg

Lunch at Hotel New York on the Wilhelminapier, Kop van Zuid  (Rotterdam Zuid)

41725892840_50a7cf737c_z.jpg

Walk over to the Photography Museum and visit the two current exhibitions

Walk further along the Wilhelminapier and see a few of the spectacular buildings and have tea in the Koolhaas building De Rotterdam, with a view of the river and the city from the seventh floor (where the red n is)

42817021884_d646362229_z.jpg

29662756288_ce1d931b39_z.jpg

Walk over the Erasmus bridge back to the city center. Walk through the Museum harbour (open part of the Maritiem Museum) with the old boats in the Leuvehaven. Continue through the shopping district and visit the Laurenskerk.

Dining in the city from around 18:00.

How to get there

The Markthal with its famous horse-shoe form is just aside the Blaak metro/train  station. For those with a car, you can either park in a parking garage around the corner or best take your car to the P&R at Kralingse Zoom and take the metro to Blaak (parking is free there when you park and continue with the metro). The Blaak train station can be reached easily too.

The minimum for the meeting is 10 persons.

Edited by Alberti
  • Like 2

Some extra information:

The boatride is planned as a small excursion on the Nieuwe Maas river in one of these small fast boats. This will take us along the city skyline.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It will go up the river so we can see this sculpture by Auke de Vries too

The cost is € 45 for a 15 min and € 85 for a 30 min excursion for a whole boat (max 12 p.) : the latter is my preference, and with 10-12 people it stays affordable.

I don't expect we need two boats. Its too late for that. 

albert

Edited by Alberti

So for August 18th for the tour of Rotterdam -

So far we have 

1 Farnz

2 Jaapv

3 Paulus

4 Willemr

5 Albert

and at least for dinner:  Talitha

So it is decided then: we take the half hour and it will take us beyond the Brienenoordbrug and back some way into the real harbour. Those boats really are race boats  :rolleyes:

But we need some more people otherwise this option is too expensive  :(

And we need 10 to get a favourable dinner price (I negotiated at Dudok's. But we can always accomodate.)

Anyway I'm gathering some information to say something meaningful about all those buildings on that Manhattan on the Maas island.

albert

• Like 1

Update on the planning of the meeting in Rotterdam:

this has been cancelled, in good deliberation with those who had planned to go or shown interest. 

The new date is:

Saturday March 23rd 2019

The programm will roughly be the same, although dinner will probably be a a riverside location now.

I'll come up with a new thread quickly so we can all book it in our agenda and have a good attended Leica meeting in this nice city where not only the pictures but also the sounds and smells remind us of a real international city.

regards

albert

• Like 1