Leica meeting in Rotterdam on August 18th 2018

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There has been some interest in a new meeting in Rotterdam, NL. Previously, several years back, Jip took on the task of organising it.

It's an awesome city.  I has the largest harbour and that reflects in a great diversity in town; it is culturally vibrant and a hot place to visit.

And the towns around Rotterdam also make great venues: Delft, Gouda, Dordrecht.

The city seems keen to have photographers loitering around, looking at this year's poster from city marketing (a poster for 'De Kracht van Rotterdam', an exhibition of 12 selected photographers that each got an asignment to cover a part of the city.)

40326033000_83b38b4a18_b.jpg

Can we get a bunch of 12 leica nerds for that One day in that One city?

There are no concrete plans yet. 

What would your interest be? What timeframe suits you? Topics of interest? 

One item is a walk that includes a visit to the Fotomuseum in Rotterdam. And going from down-town to the other side of the city with the vaporetta-like waterbus. 

33595988166_f174774e70_b.jpg

The city likes to impress.

It will be nice to welcome you.

albert

Hi Albert,

I would be interested.  I visited Rotterdam a few years ago and I felt that it would be nice to see it with people who know it.

I particularly liked Delft and would like to visit there again too.

Pete.

August might be too soon for plannings for many. September is not available for me.

So lets commence with the options of Saturday October 6th or 13th.

albert

I'm afraid that won't work for me because the Leica One Challenge is in Lyon on 13th October and doing Rotterdam/Delft in the same month would be quite difficult from a work perspective.  I suspect that Jaap will be doing charitable work in Africa during October too.  August would work for me I think.

Pete.

Edited by farnz

Hi, Albert,

August 18th would have been fine for me except that Jaap can't make it; either of the two earlier weekends in August would be fine for me.  (Personally I would have avoided 25th because it's a bank holiday weekend here and travelling is usually very unpleasant owing to the millions wanting to travel at the same time).

Pete.

Maybe the "Vestingdagen" can be incorporated? It is a photogenic event.  it's about 70 minutes by public transport from Rotterdam central station.

I'd be happy visiting the Steam fair in Hellevoetsluis on the day (assuming that Google Translate has translated accurately :lol:).  How far is the steam fair from Hellevoetsluis's railway station please, Jaap?  

Pete.

Hi Albert,

I wasn't meaning a visit to the Steam Fair instead of Rotterdam but perhaps combine the two if the dates work out by, say doing Rotterdam on the Saturday and then visiting the 3-day Steam Fair at Hellevoetsluis on the Friday or the Sunday.  Since I'll be travelling from London it would make sense for me to fit the steam fair in around Rotterdam if it works out but I wasn't expecting others to necessarily want do it too. :)

Pete.

I'd be happy visiting the Steam fair in Hellevoetsluis on the day (assuming that Google Translate has translated accurately :lol:).  How far is the steam fair from Hellevoetsluis's railway station please, Jaap?  

Pete.

There is no train station. There is a fast bus (15 minutes) to Spijkenisse which is on the Metro from Rotterdam Central station.

However, in summer there is a far better option for a day trip on Fridays and Saturdays: Take the waterbus, which leaves Rotterdam @ 09.10, docks in Hellevoetsluis several times and gets back to Rotterdam @ 19.20. 

https://www.waterbus.nl/bestemmingen/haringvliet

https://www.waterbus.nl/storage/WAT_vaartijden_haringvlietexpeditie_2018_V4b_HR.jpg

One could do a two-day, one day Haringvliet/Hellevoetsluis and one day photowalk in Rotterdam.

If we do it this way over two days, of which one in Hellevoetsluis, it will work for me. I just got the green light from Patricia :) I'd happily host the Hellevoetsluis part :)

• Like 1

Jaap, Pete,

The Haringvliet/Hellevoetsluis can be on the Friday or Sunday?  (the Waterbus schedule does not have a boat on Sunday)

> The city is more bristling with activity on Saturday and the weekend fits those with a tight week agenda. 

The boat ride is interesting, we often go to Dordrecht by boat and that gives a very nice view of Rotterdam and of the waterfront of Dordrecht (famous for the many painters that took that as subject; the Dordrecht Museum has just had quite an interesting exhibition on that: Jongkind & his friends.). It also passes Kinderdijk with all its mills.

I can't find anything quickly on steam event (but did see that in 2020 there is a very big steam boat and steam train event in Dordrecht).

albert

Jaap, Pete,

The Haringvliet/Hellevoetsluis can be on the Friday or Sunday? (the Waterbus schedule does not have a boat on Sunday)

> The city is more bristling with activity on Saturday and the weekend fits those with a tight week agenda.

The boat ride is interesting, we often go to Dordrecht by boat and that gives a very nice view of Rotterdam and of the waterfront of Dordrecht (famous for the many painters that took that as subject; the Dordrecht Museum has just had quite an interesting exhibition on that: Jongkind & his friends.). It also passes Kinderdijk with all its mills.

I can't find anything quickly on steam event (but did see that in 2020 there is a very big steam boat and steam train event in Dordrecht).

albert

The Waterbus is on Friday and Saturday, as I posted. The event is usually winding down on Sunday anyway.

Dordt in Stoom was this year on May 25th-27th, and will return in 2020. That is the largest steam event in Europe.

The Vestingdagen in Hellevoetsluis are each year mid-August. It is not just a steam rally, there are WWII military vehicles, East-Bloc military vehicles, WWI military encampment, a Victorian street with lusty Wenches :D , Air-Sea rescue demonstrations, old-timer trucks, sea-shanties, the national Fire Brigade museum, historical ships, and much more.

• Like 1

I can join. I can also set up a walk or arrange a guided tour in the Fotomuseum. Maybe even a tour through the archives. I have connections at the museum .

From September 19th there will be the new exhibition on Cas Oorthuys.

Hi Michiel, sounds great!

Glad to take on the invitation. Let's come back to that later.

albert

• Like 1