Advertisement (gone after registration)

M3 Horizontal light leak / streak? Help! :-)

Greeting all! Attached are images from a '59 M3 seviced by DAG at some undetermined time before I bought it. This issue only occurred on this roll after 20+ previous perfect rolls.

This horizontal streak showed up an most of the 38 exposures. It seems worse on longer exposures but is still visible on a few of the faster shutter speeds. It does NOT show at the 1/1000 range. The first two pics are from the first part of the roll, the third pic is from the end of the roll. Film: Ilford 400, lens Sumilux 50mm (with hood). Any help would be appreciated. If this symptom has been discussed and solved, let me know where and I will gladly delete this post :-) The scans just hit my email, and I have asked the lab to check the negatives' rebate to see if it was processing, since I do not have the negatives in hand yet. 

Many thanks, Dan.

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://i.imgur.com/uWmS9wi.jpg?1&key=122a9702d0cc6d011a3514cdb5e502a06933868166f0f9e6080894791e2f6945">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://i.imgur.com/PBbOnKv.jpg?1&key=320ebe513b75df2599460d676eab290cf291f2f471e78a281675eee3fd056825">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://i.imgur.com/2tAjCl6.jpg?1&key=a4f3ee4d4859166abbe217f6a91863d0d3d3fd142e2c6af267fb02f4557623c2">

Hi,

My first suggestion was going to be to check the negs!

Almost certainly not a shutter fault and light leaks are usually less regular. I’m guessing a processing or scanning fault.

... light leaks are usually less regular. I’m guessing a processing or scanning fault.

I agree.

My money is on scanning.

My scanner did something like this before where it created a line when there wasn't one.

Replacing it solved the problem.

The intensity of light is too uniform and consistent to be a light leak imho.

Could be a contaminated roller, if the film was machine-processed. A "deposit" of crystallized developer around a roller would over-develop a stripe as the film rolls over it.

It is theoretically possible that a failed shutter light trap could result in light leaking "up" past the shutter, but 1) the marks are usually within a couple of mm of the edge, 2) usually have at least one "sharp" side and 3) would vary more with the intensity/angle of the ambient room light.

Thanks for the quick responses! The lab already shipped the negs, so were unable to examine them. I will check them myself as soon as they arrive. The lab say they will happily re-scan if the negs are clear. Either way I will post the results to hopefully help others with similar issue. 

Best regards, Dan.