Filter Use

jimleicam3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been using the 21 mm f/3.4 for the past 10 months, and after a recent trip, I am really enjoying this lens.  I would now like to try some landscape shots with a ND filter.  What power are forum members using, what makes?  What other types of filters are you using?

Thanks

Do you mean a graduated filter, or just a plain ND?

The 21SEM does not have very much character difference between wide-open and stopped down, so I guess that the main use-case is for long exposures. I have 3 and 9 stop ND filters which I have used for water shots before, and these worked fine providing I was careful to avoid flare when shooting towards a bright light source. This is doubly true if you need to stack the filters (I find even the 9 stop insufficient in some daylight conditions!). You can also combine a long(ish) exposure with exposure stacking in Photoshop etc for some interesting effects.

Graduated filters are painful to use on M series cameras without live-view - it is much easier to bracket and combine shots digitally. Works equally well for digital and also film in a hybrid work-flow.

I have Polaroid vND, good price. But no use on M.

I have bw contrast filters, but never was able to get what they supposed to do.

I do use them as ND filters on bw film.

And every lens I use has protective filter.

I don't have 21mm lens, yet, only VF :).